Gibson Brands Forums

Lowering action on Spirit 6 string, but saddles all the way down.

Kahuna Nui

Hi, I've just acquired a Spirit 6 string, and I'm lowering the action, but the saddles are as low as they'll go, and I could do with a couple more mil. I've noticed a couple of "posts" under the Bridge. 

Is it possible to remove the bridge base, drop these to give me more adjustment, then adjust the saddles? 

No, these posts are (or should be) fully screwed into the base. You cannot lower them. The only thing you could do at this point is removing the trem completely and make the routing a little bit deeper. However, this should not be necessary. Is the neck relief adjusted correctly?

Is it a  new Spirit 6 of current production (China)? I purchased one last year and noticed the same problem you cannot get a proper low action, at least the one I ma used with my main guitars. I also lowered all saddles all the way down and still the action was a bit high for me. After lowering the saddles string buzz came out, then had to fret level the fretboard (I am luthier partime as second hobby/job, did luthier training). After fret leveling it became playable because of the fret leveling, still the action not ideal. As Be.eM says one should remove the trem and route the base on the body. Did not do it as I sold the Spirit to a friend that liked the action as it was. As I like Steinbergers, after some research I have acquired three more used ones,  two of them are the Synapse SS-2F made in Korea, these are of outstanding quality and can get very low action, also the fretboards are flawless. The third Steinberger, just got it, is a made in USA GU 7R Custom, hand made by mr. Steinberger himself for someone as there is his signature on the back of the body. This one, after all these years is a killer instrument all perfect. Action at 14th fret 1,50mm at low E-string and 1,25mm at high e-string. That is how I setup mall my Ibanez and strats.  Same setup for the two Synapse SS-2F. I suggest yu fine a used made in Korea Steinberger these are very good.

By the way here is the best setup I managed to do with that Spirit 6 strings (made in China):

Neck relief: 0.10"

String action at 12" fret from Low-E to high-e: : 4/64" all strings

Pickup height, all pickups: 2,0mm at low-Estring and 1,5mm at high e-string

I always measure the string action at first fret and write it down for all guitars I build o setup/repair. (in this case it is a zero fret):

E: .020"

A: .020"

D .023"

G: .022"

B:  .020"

e: .015"

Edited by gdx65

23 hours ago, Be.eM said:

No, these posts are (or should be) fully screwed into the base. You cannot lower them. The only thing you could do at this point is removing the trem completely and make the routing a little bit deeper. However, this should not be necessary. Is the neck relief adjusted correctly?

Yeah, I had to tweak the truss rod when I got it.  I think the issue is a minor design flaw, there just isn't enough range of travel available because of the height of the saddles.  One option I suppose would be to grind down the base of the saddles by a couple of mil, but having had to do this with a couple of locking nuts before, I'll probably leave it.  The action is by no means high, but the fret job is pretty good, so I think it would take another mil drop without choking.

1 hour ago, Kahuna Nui said:

One option I suppose would be to grind down the base of the saddles by a couple of mil…

Just make sure you've still got a string break angle greater than 0 afterwards. The ball ends of the strings need to be lower than the break point of the saddle, otherwise you've got a new problem… 😉