Gibson Brands Forums

shielding

urbs

just a general survey : has anyone else had to completely re-do the shielding in their LP ? Is this a common problem with LP,s ? Severely disappointed about this , paid too much to have to do something that should have not gotten by the QC dept of a high end guitar maker such as Gibson .

No, not common, but not unheard of. I take it your guitar is noisey? Just in your house/practice-area, or anywhere you take it? Have you isolated the noise to your guitar or could it be your house/practice-area wiring, your patch cord or your amp? If it's definitely the guitar, check the jack wiring - on a very rare occacsion flipping the jack wiring might help depending on the control circuitry. - More info on the symptoms and conditions would help.

Well guys I thought of all those things too . I got curious one day and took the lester apart and low and behold nothing but bare wood in all the cavities ! So being the industrious sort I whipped out my can of stew-mac shielding paint and did the ol girl up !! That hunk of wood is quiet as a church mouse now , all I hear when I'm plugged in is that sweet electronic tube sound . Don't be too quick to rule out the guitar . The only thing I did to the jack was to replace the piece of crap plastic cover . All great ideas guys , thanks for the input .

I've never worried about shielding a guitar that's loaded with humbuckers, but every one I have with single coils is shielded.

Never had a noise problem that could be attributed to the guitar. There must be some strong source of interference nearby for you to have a noise problem.

Just wondering' date=' would the tape go in the pickup cavity?[/quote']

I just shielded the pickup cavities on the BFG and just the control cavity on the V.

I've never worried about shielding a guitar that's loaded with humbuckers' date=' but every one I have with single coils is shielded.

Never had a noise problem that could be attributed to the guitar. There must be some strong source of interference nearby for you to have a noise problem.[/quote']

I was getting a really bad ground buzz, touching the strings stopped it temporarily, but shielding did it permanently. Only my Gibsons had that problem, my Strat is quiet as anything... even before I put the Hot Noiseless pickups in. Quick fix to an annoying problem.

I was getting a really bad ground buzz' date=' touching the strings stopped it temporarily, but shielding did it permanently. Only my Gibsons had that problem, my Strat is quiet as anything... even before I put the Hot Noiseless pickups in. Quick fix to an annoying problem. [/quote']

There must be something in the wiring arrangement in your guitars that's different than mine. I've never had any significant noise from humbuckers, but it could just be good luck on my part.

One thing for sure, shielding can't hurt any electric guitar.

Archived