Gibson Brands Forums

Custom shop Verification

mikeinAiken

HI

I am going to look at what is being sold as a 2011 ES-335 with P90's. The seller has a certificate of authenticity and a Gibson custom shop case. There are no stickers in any pictures referencing the Custom shop and there is no headstock picture showing the S/N. The certificate is a booklet and has 2 lines. The first line I believe is the model number or features/ that number is  HB074m. The serial identified  on the certificate is  12971732. There is no mention of a CS on the certificate serial number. What does the model tell me and what should I look for to verify this is not a base ES335  built in October 2011?

Thanks owner of a 2018 Gibson LP Standard and a 1984 Gibson Sonex Deluxe.

00O0O_9kWXrHKwJuR_600x450.jpg00L0L_gSNnnHElfpW_600x450.jpg.b1db5873e3e9a2bb14dadca2d5d20e3b.jpg

00s0s_lOUHyhQ2DBq_600x450.jpg

Edited by mikeinAiken
add picture

All 335's came with the certificate and Custom shop case during that period (I don't know if they still do), my 2010 ES335 has them, which was bought new and was never sold to me as "Custom Shop".

Also, I'm no expert (there are others on here far more knowledgeable than myself) but I don't believe the P90 is actually a 335, I think it's called something like a 330 but I'd check that.

Good luck  

A quick search indicates it is a 335. https://forum.gibson.com/topic/78840-just-saw-a-couple-of-p90-es-335-at-gc/

Ask for a pic of the s/n, and ask for a pic of the inside sticker.  Just make sure s/ns match.  This may all be legit despite the  "evidence".  This appears to be part of the shenanigans Gibson was pulling at Memphis around that time.  (Sorry Gibson, you deserve the criticism for being misleading).  With that s/n, it appears to be Memphis made (the inside sticker would also confirm this).  At the time Gibson was making what they called "Custom Shop Series" model, and they had various "custom" references (like on the back of the headstock, and COAs like this).  But the fact is they are made entirely in Memphis.  And Memphis never had a Custom Shop, it has always been only on Nashville.

Now that all said, not actually coming from the Custom Shop is not really any negative in this case.  The quality of what was coming out of Memphis was not appreciably different than the Custom Shop.  Fact is, all true Custom Shop ES guitars that were made when Memphis was open started (put together) in Memphis and finished in Nashville.   But Gibson sure did muddy identifying these.

Edited by Wmachine

1 hour ago, Wmachine said:

A quick search indicates it is a 335. https://forum.gibson.com/topic/78840-just-saw-a-couple-of-p90-es-335-at-gc/

Ask for a pic of the s/n, and ask for a pic of the inside sticker.  Just make sure s/ns match.  This may all be legit despite the  "evidence".  This appears to be part of the shenanigans Gibson was pulling at Memphis around that time.  (Sorry Gibson, you deserve the criticism for being misleading).  With that s/n, it appears to be Memphis made (the inside sticker would also confirm this).  At the time Gibson was making what they called "Custom Shop Series" model, and they had various "custom" references (like on the back of the headstock, and COAs like this).  But the fact is they are made entirely in Memphis.  And Memphis never had a Custom Shop, it has always been only on Nashville.

Now that all said, not actually coming from the Custom Shop is not really any negative in this case.  The quality of what was coming out of Memphis was not appreciably different than the Custom Shop.  Fact is, all true Custom Shop ES guitars that were made when Memphis was open started (put together) in Memphis and finished in Nashville.   But Gibson sure did muddy identifying these.

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I can pick up a new black ES-355 new from GC but would be interested in a true Custom Shop for less.

51 minutes ago, mikeinAiken said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I know I can pick up a new black ES-355 new from GC but would be interested in a true Custom Shop for less.

Personally, I think you would be remiss not to consider an ES that was not a true Custom Shop.  With LPs, it is different.  There is an appreciable difference from US to Custom Shop.  Not so much with ES models.  From what I've seen, you won't find many true Custom Shop ESs.  And I'm sure the reason is there is not really that much difference.  Note that even the high end ES models were made entirely in Memphis.

Also note going forward that with the Memphis shop closed, the ES production in Nashville was slated to be split up.  The higher end ES models *will* be made in the Custom Shop, and the lower end models will be made in Gibson US side.  So I'm certain the ES and Custom Shop confusion will just get worse.

Edited by Wmachine
  • Like 1