Gibson Brands Forums

Any details about the new Epi MIA Texan? (NAMM 2020)

navigate40

Hello

Very curious about the new Epi MIA Texan. Apparently announced at NAMM 2020, it will be made at Gibson Bozeman MT. Are there any details? Woods, price, availability?

I have an AJ45ME, the I play out with. Somehow missed the AJ-500RE with rosewood back and sides, Shadow 2 electronics. THAT would have been a great addition to my collection. Hoping the new Texan will add something. Cannot seem to find many used ones. Cannot even seem to find the AJ-500RCE, that is on the Epi site.

Not sure how the AJ-500 and the Texan differ. The Elitist Texan seems to be very pricey. 

Thanks. My best to all. 

• Like 1

WOW, just saw this info on the Epi web site. Have to say...what a disappointment. For that kind of money, I would rather get a J45. Could get a J15 and a second guitar. 

Saw that Epi now has a Masterbilt Texan.....$699. Good move. THAT could be worth it...but.....already have an AJ45ME that I play all the time, great guitar. Also....the Masterbilt Texan has very low end Fishman Sonitone electronics. Do not like that at all...I am sorry to be so negative. I would rather have a Shadow nanoflex or LR Baggs Element. But, since it is an in the sound hole package....easy to change. 

WISH Epi still made the AJ-500RE Masterbilt. Rosewood back and sides, Shadow 2 electronics. 

Looks as though the DR-500MCE and AJ-500RCE are gone...two very popular models. Epi had a lot to chose from, and now...looks like very sparse pickings. Interesting. But, glad to see that their LP models are finally getting ultra modern weight relief. 

Oh well. 

Website needs a little work. The AJ45ME is put under "Modern acoustic" but is still a Masterbilt. 

Edited by navigate40

42 minutes ago, navigate40 said:

WOW, just saw this info on the Epi web site. Have to say...what a disappointment. For that kind of money, I would rather get a J45. Could get a J15 and a second guitar. 

Saw that Epi now has a Masterbilt Texan.....$699. Good move. THAT could be worth it...but.....already have an AJ45ME that I play all the time, great guitar. Also....the Masterbilt Texan has very low end Fishman Sonitone electronics. Do not like that at all...I am sorry to be so negative. I would rather have a Shadow nanoflex or LR Baggs Element. But, since it is an in the sound hole package....easy to change. 

WISH Epi had made an AJ-500RE Masterbilt. Rosewood back and sides, Shadow 2 electronics. 

Looks as though the DR-500MCE and AJ-500RCE are gone...two very popular models. Epi had a lot to chose from, and now...looks like very sparse pickings. Interesting. But, glad to see that their LP models are finally getting ultra modern weight relief. 

Oh well. 

Website needs a little work. The AJ45ME is put under "Modern acoustic" but is still a Masterbilt. 

The Texan essentially IS a long scale J-45 (the J-45 is short scale), though with different cosmetics and (likely) a slimmer neck profile. I would be surprised if a US made version with a gloss nitro finish would be any less expensive than a Gibson J-45, given they are so similar.  The Masterbilt version or the current Peter Frampton would be a good option if that price doesn't seem agreeable, though. The Frampton has an accurate 60's headstock, while the "Kalamazoo" shape of the Masterbilt's never appeared on the Texan, if that matters to you. You could also seek out a used Elite/Elitist Texan, which should be about half the price of the new USA made.

By the way, I had to laugh when I saw the headline on the Epiphone website touting that the Texan was made in the USA for the first time in 50 years. A limited run  were made in the USA in the mid 2000's.

Red 333

he presumably recently discontinued Japanese made 1965 Texan. These are usually a few hundred less than what the US made ones will sell for.

• Like 1

If I did not already have an AJ45ME, I would seriously consider the Masterbilt Texan. But, I doubt there would be enough of a difference in tone to justify it. The AJ45ME Shadow electronics are much better than the Fishman Sonitone, the burst finish gets a lot of compliments, very vintage looking. Even more now when I removed the pickguard. I like the satin/ open pore finish and the shorter scale. It does have a lower voice, since it is round shouldered, shorter scale and 'hog...but....can brighten that up with different strings. 

I really like round shouldered dreads and the advanced jumbo design. The scale would make it interesting too. Will have to play one sometime, to see if it adds anything. 

Anyone know what happened to the other epi acoustics? I don't see the EJ-200 (not the coupe), DR-500 or AJ500 and some other's, on their site, now. 

4 hours ago, navigate40 said:

If I did not already have an AJ45ME, I would seriously consider the Masterbilt Texan. But, I doubt there would be enough of a difference in tone to justify it. The AJ45ME Shadow electronics are much better than the Fishman Sonitone, the burst finish gets a lot of compliments, very vintage looking. Even more now when I removed the pickguard. I like the satin/ open pore finish and the shorter scale. It does have a lower voice, since it is round shouldered, shorter scale and 'hog...but....can brighten that up with different strings. 

I really like round shouldered dreads and the advanced jumbo design. The scale would make it interesting too. Will have to play one sometime, to see if it adds anything. 

Anyone know what happened to the other epi acoustics? I don't see the EJ-200 (not the coupe), DR-500 or AJ500 and some other's, on their site, now. 

I agree, I think the Masterbilt J-45's burst is very well done, and I liked the big neck on the one I played (I don't own one, since I have  five or six Gibson J-45 and related models--a 1942 Legend, a True Vintage, Custom Rosewood Vine, True Vintage Southern Jumbo, Short Scale Maple Advanced Jumbo, and a Fuller's  Vintage 1939 J-35, plus a couple of J-160E's, an AJ, a 12-fret Rosewood Stage Deluxe , and three Texans!  Like you, I like my slopes!).  I did toy with getting the black Masterbilt J-45 that's sold by Sweetwater, and like you, removing the pickguard, but decided enough's enough. For now, lol; the new Masterbilt Frontier and Excellente really intrigue me.   As far as a tonal difference between a Masterbilt J-45 and Masterbilt Texan, I would bet that just the difference in neck mass (presuming the Texan's is narrow and slim like a SIxties Texan) would make an audible difference, not to mention the scale length. I  feel like my guitars with girthier necks have a bigger sound. Whether that difference is enough for you is a personal thing, of course.  I like to THINK I hear a difference, which is how I can justify having so many guitars. Each one is like a snowflake...

Red 333

Edited by Red 333

I would LOVE to have those guitars in my collection! WOW.  I have a Martin DRS2, Gibson J-45 Studio, Breedlove stage concert (rosewood), Blueridge BR-163CE and the AJ45ME (and 3  tele's and an LP :). I am seriously thinking of getting a J-15. Have played them several times and each time I do I walk away saying....DARN, I should have gotten that. 

The Texan has intrigued me for a long time. But, love playing the AJ45ME. It gets a lot of compliments not only on its looks, but tone. I am planning on ratcheting up its articulation and adding some brightness, with D'add Nickle bronze strings (coming today, in fact). Might also try 80/20's or John Pearse. Lots of options. 

(Added...NB's perked it up nicely)

I do need to play a Masterbilt Texan when they are available. Actually, now that I have all this information, I am tracking a couple J-15's instead. 

BTW...heard from epi support....the epi and gib web sites are updating more. I get the feeling their web sites need a lot of catching up. 

Edited by navigate40

22 hours ago, Red 333 said:

The Texan essentially IS a long scale J-45 (the J-45 is short scale), though with different cosmetics and (likely) a slimmer neck profile. I would be surprised if a US made version with a gloss nitro finish would be any less expensive than a Gibson J-45, given they are so similar.  The Masterbilt version or the current Peter Frampton would be a good option if that price doesn't seem agreeable, though. The Frampton has an accurate 60's headstock, while the "Kalamazoo" shape of the Masterbilt's never appeared on the Texan, if that matters to you. You could also seek out a used Elite/Elitist Texan, which should be about half the price of the new USA made.

By the way, I had to laugh when I saw the headline on the Epiphone website touting that the Texan was made in the USA for the first time in 50 years. A limited run  were made in the USA in the mid 2000's.

Red 333

he presumably recently discontinued Japanese made 1965 Texan. These are usually a few hundred less than what the US made ones will sell for.

There was also a limited run of USA Texans in 1993/1994 though they bore little similarity to the original or the later reissues for that matter For what I think the USA Texans will street for I might be inclined to go with a second hand (Gibson) Advanced Jumbo. Truth be told I haven't been impressed with what Gibson is flogging as their "modern" acoustics and I have a feeling the USA Epiphones will follow this trend. Gibson does in deed like to fire everyone up with these blasts from the past and get everyone's hopes up but at the end of the day it always ends up being pretty much same old same old nothing burger. We shall see. I already own a '66 and a 2018 Indonesian reissue that I've been quite pleased with so I'm not likely to be one of their prospective buyers but you never know.. Remember: Gibson isn't going to get too close with the minutiae of the reissues for the unwashed masses because they're always looking ahead to selling a very close clone for stupid money to the fanatics with fat wallets.

Edited by Gralst
For clarification

One thing I appreciate about the Epi Masterbilts is that apparently, even if there isn't a sticker on the headstock, they are all Plek'd. I am pretty sure Epi support told me this. I find that the AJ45ME takes a capo extremely well. Some acoustics seem to get choked a little. The AJ45ME sings true. I wonder if this is due to the plek, and also the short scale giving a fuller tone.

Does anyone know what the finish is on the Masterbilt Texan? The AJ45ME has a thin, satin finish....I think that helps tone more than the thick poly finishes we see on many models. 

Has anyone else noticed that the new USA Texan has the same bridge shape and placement as the original issue (2009) Inspired by 64 Texan?

The rest of the guitar looks pre 63, what with the headstock shape and soundhole ring 

https://www.andertons.co.uk/epiphone-texan-usa-in-vintage-sunburst 

Edited by frenchie1281734003