Gibson Brands Forums

Full Walk-through Gibson, Epiphone & Kramer Booth! - NAMM 2020

Rabs

Sadly, there is not one single production big-box/f-hole archtop jazz guitar.   Only the one-off "spiderman" thing they walk past inthe 1st minute or so.

No ES 175 or even 275, no Byrdland, L4 or L5.   And these are nowhere to be found in the current lists of available Gibsons, either.

SHAME.   Yes, SHAME.

No doubt this is a decision based on hard economics but it is very regrettable given Gibson's long and illustrious history in the developmentof the archtop f-hole guitar.

I'm tempted to mutter something about all the same pair of jeans in different colours, but.....well....

At least the HJ era (1st 30 yrs) had plenty of variety....there were lots of limited run/special edition models and variations on the classic designs.  Many of those were amazing.  

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You can't tell me those guys have never seen a Bigsby mounted to a V. 

Lonnie Mack:

lonnie.jpg

Gibson produced a limited ed. Lonnie Mack V - Bigsby mounted as shown - in 1995 (or thereabouts).

Edited by jdgm

7 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Epiphone seem to have a far more interesting stand than Gibson..

But then Gibson said, no more yearly updates, so not too much else to show I guess?

Just make '59 bursts replicas. Its all people want, except for Steve who whats Firebirds.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Hello fellows,

I wrote an article recently  ☺️. I try to analyze the current situation in popular music. And I think that it  depends on the progress in electric guitars. In particular, now, since 2000 the wave of musical hits has clearly declined, while the musical world has become almost completely computer-based. I.e. the progress in electric guitars is far behind, or old defects in the guitars do not allow them to be  on par with computer progress.   But maybe you have a different opinion (?). I hope it will be interesting. Here is the link to this article: https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/when-time-come-new-hits-valerii-krasnov/

It is not finished. One more chapter should be, regarding active guitars and active pickups.  I'm working on it  and now I am looking for the info as regards active Fishman Fluence pickups. They seem to have a lot of hype  🤒. But there is a lot of conflicting information.  Someone please help me understand Fishman? Maybe there is some more objective info on the Internet,  now I see even more negative info about them.

They only part-mention the guitar as they passed it by (name-drop 17:14 and you see it at the 17:42 mark) but I loved the Epi version of the Nancy Wilson "Fanatic" Nighthawk which was originally released as a Gibson Sig model in 2013. I always liked that version of the Nighthawk and rather regret not buying the one I saw on clearout / special offer many years ago.

P.

Edited by pippy

I agree with jdgm. It's a great shame they have ignored archtops completely. At least Henry did introduce a lot of rarer models (such as the Tal Farlow and ES 5)  back into the line up in the 90's. Having said that, the SG's and Les Paul's do look very nice, but can they please go back to the large headstock on the '61 SG's? Also, the new Epiphone LP and SG  headstock I cannot get used to. My whole lifetime Epi have had the clipped headstock on LP's & SG's and changing it now it a bit like changing the Gibson headstock...wrong! It looks ok though, just preferred the clipped one. 

Edited by cody78