Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JuanCarlosVejar

NAMM report.

Recommended Posts

Folks,

The New Gibson Acoustic Collection sounds absolutely stellar.Every last one of the guitars I played  was wonderful sounding.

 

Some of my favorites were the 1939 J 55 and the 1942 Rosewood Southern Jumbo,The small LG 2 1942. 1942 J 45.

1936 AJ , 52 J 185 and 1957 J 200

 

Bozeman is on fire.The USA  made Epiphone Texan is a very fine guitar.

 

The Slash J 45 sounds wonderful but the neck is very unique.

I’ll update this post when I have a minute to

write more.

 

 

JC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From the historic collection to the news that Bozeman is expanding production, this is the kind of excitement that we hope for from Namm but rarely see. All the questions about how new management would handle the acoustic division have been answered ... in the best possible way.

Edited by Mr. Paul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, slimt said:

I put my order in for three Historics today. 

Which ones? How long will it take to get them?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like the 1942 rosewood banner SJ with cooked Adi top. The only obvious thing they did wrong was put binding on the fretboard. Everything else looks good, down to the 1.77" nut. 

It's virtually identical to my Fuller's 1943 re-issue, including nut width, but it has the cooked Adi top and rosewood back and sides, unlike my 'hog version.

Hmm, anyone interested in a '43 re-issue 'hog SJ in 9.8/10 condition? Fully boned, luthier's choice neck with 1.77" nut, one tiny dimple in top next to bridge, otherwise near-mint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, j45nick said:

Which ones? How long will it take to get them?

 

The AJ , SJ as well as the 30s SJ200..  all Rosewoods..  I noticed the SJ200 is a ebony board.. not the Richlite from these earlier times over the past few years..   thats a big no for me with what there asking for these guitars.. all wood or no wood. as for time frame,, beings I am up in Canada.. its when ever they get here..   Im guessing a 2 or 3 month wait..

Edited by slimt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, slimt said:

 

The AJ , SJ as well as the 30s SJ200..  all Rosewoods..  I noticed the SJ200 is a ebony board.. not the Richlite from these earlier times over the past few years..   thats a big no for me with what there asking for these guitars.. all wood or no wood. as for time frame,, beings I am up in Canada.. its when ever they get here..   Im guessing a 2 or 3 month wait..

Let us know how the SJ is. I don't have a rosewood Gibson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, j45nick said:

Let us know how the SJ is. I don't have a rosewood Gibson.


it should be pretty good. I have one from 1991. I think it was one of 16 made  .  I got that one right from the Bozeman plant.   Sitting on the rack ready for the final inspection prior to being cased and put in there vault.  The others were mahogany.   I believe there were about 30 or maybe more of those.  I know the mohagany ones are still being made.   

Edited by slimt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bobouz said:

A return to the use of ebony vs the Richlite era?

Nice.

I know it sounds weird.      Ive had my eye on  3 piece back j200 up here.  But that richlite board just kills the thought    For 7000.00. I prefer real wood. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a small update ... this video really captures the powerful sound of the new Gibson Historics:

 

I unknowingly was featured in the video.

That’s me in the red jacket playing the guitars upside down.

 

 

I hated rosewood guitars for a long time.The best rosewood guitars I have ever played were the 36 AJ and The 42 Rosewood Southern jumbo they  sound better than any rosewood Martin (to my ears at least) I have ever played.

 

 

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s one final video:


the 1934 Jumbo is demoed  in it.

 

 

Enjoy.

 

the sound clips and Don explaining everything is much better than I can do.

 

 

 

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

JC, Thanks for posting these. Gibson Acoustic has taken on a lot with this expansion of the product lines, and I hope it's a success.

I note that Don was careful to say that these Historic guitars were as close as possible to the original, but not necessarily replicas.

What did you think of this finish, looking at in in person? Don said only four coats of lacquer, rather than the usual 9, which is pretty astounding. However, it looks pretty crappy in the videos, sort of hazy with a lot of orange peel, essentially as it comes out of the spray gun. 

One advantage of nitro is how it can be buffed out to a gloss, but I understand that you could quickly buff through this finish.

I'm just not sure. Maybe six coats instead of four, which might allow a decent light buff while maintaining a thin finish.

I would really have to look carefully at one before taking that leap of faith.

This thin finish would be most obvious on the top, just because of the way spruce growth rings work, particularly Adi.

These are all appealing, but the AJ and the rosewood Southern Jumbo are most appealing to me. I wonder how either of those would stand up to a 1937  D-28 Authentic, which is what I've been looking at as a "next" guitar.

I've never owned a square dread of any type.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, j45nick said:

JC, Thanks for posting these. Gibson Acoustic has taken on a lot with this expansion of the product lines, and I hope it's a success.

I note that Don was careful to say that these Historic guitars were as close as possible to the original, but not necessarily replicas.

What did you think of this finish, looking at in in person? Don said only four coats of lacquer, rather than the usual 9, which is pretty astounding. However, it looks pretty crappy in the videos, sort of hazy with a lot of orange peel, essentially as it comes out of the spray gun. 

One advantage of nitro is how it can be buffed out to a gloss, but I understand that you could quickly buff through this finish.

I'm just not sure. Maybe six coats instead of four, which might allow a decent light buff while maintaining a thin finish.

I would really have to look carefully at one before taking that leap of faith.

This thin finish would be most obvious on the top, just because of the way spruce growth rings work, particularly Adi.

These are all appealing, but the AJ and the rosewood Southern Jumbo are most appealing to me. I wonder how either of those would stand up to a 1937  D-28 Authentic, which is what I've been looking at as a "next" guitar.

I've never owned a square dread of any type.


Nick,

Good Question.


the finishes looked just fine to me.

Maybe some Haze but honestly the sound and the feel of these guitars is just something else. Most of the old guitars probably have hazed finishes themselves at this point .If I’m honest I wanted one of each but I if I could only pick one it would have been the Rosewood Southern Jumbo 

S3pYVnT.jpg


e0U0y3y.jpg

 

KiuSNUX.jpg
 

 

JC

Edited by JuanCarlosVejar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, JC.

That finish looks very much like the VOS on my L-OO Legend when I got it.  I very carefully went after it with Virtuoso, both the cleaner and polish, by hand, and basically got it to the point of about a 95% gloss on the top, close to 100% on the back and sides thanks to the tight grain of the mahogany. It was surprisingly easy to do, and it does look better to my eye. Others may prefer the straight VOS.

It was probably safer to do with Virtuoso rather than abrasive buffing, since Virtuoso claims to work by chemical reaction rather than mechanical  abrasion.

There appear to be buffing swirls and orange peel  on some of these Historics, but it's one of those things you can only evaluate first-hand.

I assume the are using EIR for all the rosewood bits. The Legends used Madagascar for rosewood parts--fretboard and bridge. It's a gorgeous wood, but does add to cost. 

Those Adi tops look really, really fine on all of these Historics.

It looks like they are using a proper tapered bridge on the AJ. There are nice details in these guitars. I want several...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Nick wants 'several'!!😁

I would like to have a good try of 'several' too... though I have no idea where I would put them. It would be good if I could rent one at a time for a bit.

Funny, the local acoustic guitar shop has just received a load of the old models, full retail prices. They could only sell those to someone without internet, surely. 

 

BluesKing777.

 

 

Edited by BluesKing777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, j45nick said:

These are all appealing, but the AJ and the rosewood Southern Jumbo are most appealing to me. I wonder how either of those would stand up to a 1937  D-28 Authentic, which is what I've been looking at as a "next" guitar.

I've never owned a square dread of any type.

I owned  a D-28 Std. Played a  '68 D-28 once. Played the new Modern Deluxes 28's and an HD-28V. Never a 37 Auth. But ones who have say there amazing. I've got a D-41. Not much I can say about it except it does not suck  and after getting it I sold my 28 and 18. One day I may get a Dove. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

 

Nick wants 'several'!!😁

BluesKing777.

BK, who doesn't want "several"? You, of all people, should understand that. At least you're not spending your hard-earned Pacific Pesos on cigarettes, whiskey, and women since you got the urge for more guitars.

How's the guitar fund coming, after your latest additions?

17 minutes ago, BluesKing777 said:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, j45nick said:

BK, who doesn't want "several"? You, of all people, should understand that. At least you're not spending your hard-earned Pacific Pesos on cigarettes, whiskey, and women since you got the urge for more guitars.

How's the guitar fund coming, after your latest additions?

 

 

I am waiting for my car mechanic to finish some work on the old "B" car. He is superb but works alone and doesn't answer the phone ( I just rang).

Anyway, if it isn't too drastic a cost for the car repairs, the 2002 J50 will be off to the luthier. Like the mechanic, I left a message and he hasn't called back! But first, get him to do a full inspection. Then a new high density bone nut, saddle and non slotted pins a setup and a Baggs Anthem pickup to replace the horror in it.

And thank the Guitar gods that the new Gibson Historics don't include a 1932 L-00, a dreadful omission on their part but...phew.

 

BluesKing777.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...