Gibson Brands Forums

David Lee Roth in Vegas ...watch at own risk

saturn

yea,, total cringe worthy..

first verse was all my ears could handle.  I'm with Sgt Pepper.  this is like one of the SHRED video's, but not a joke. 

Actually feel bad for the guys in the band,  they seemed to be right on point. 

Can't imagine having play back up for a nut case like this one.

Edited by kidblast

Enter me ... always the David Lee Roth apologist ... How I got this role, I am not wholly sure ...

Ahhh, the struggles of Dave's voice ...

First off, Dave was never a "great pure singer".   He only got the Van Halen gig initially because he came from rich SoCal parents so he had a PA and other gear when the young Van Halens did not have much.  So Dave came in very handy for their young fledgling band.  The VH brothers fully intended (initially) on finding a replacement later on.  But Dave did get better , and he found a way to rely HEAVILY on background vocalists (i.e., VH bassist Michael Anthony).  The next time you listen to old Van Halen, listen specifically to how much Michael Anthony is singing ... the "singing cover-up" started way back then for Dave.  But, back then, he could at least sing ... Dave's voice first started to show real struggles/degradation in 1994-ish with his "Your Filthy Little Mouth" solo album.  Later on, when he toured with Hagar (soon after Hagar was fired from Van Halen) on the "Sam and Dave Tour", Dave would never sing together with Sammy on stage, who was obviously a much stronger vocalist -- nor would Dave show up for his  RRnHoF inducting to avoid, again, being on the  same stage with Sammy who was also being inducted as part of VH.  The one album that Van Halen made with Dave after reforming in the 2000s ("Another Kind Of Truth") is actually a truly great album, except for Dave's voice ... which (to me) makes the album  unlistenable.  If you want to listen to more of his unbearable voice, then listen to Van Halen's Live At The Tokyo Dome  documenting the very last Van Halen tour.  In my opinion, Dave should have hung up singing live probably 15 years ago, maybe more.  

HOWEVER ... Let's give Dave credit where credit is due ... While admittedly far from ever being Steve Perry, he is a wickedly talented showman and great songwriter.  His lyrics can be extremely well crafted and super witty, and he writes the vocal melodies.  The reason why VH was so great is because of the songs that were written by Eddie and Dave -- the guitar playing (which most people think of) would be nothing without those songs.   

AND THEN ... I am also the VH III Gary Cherone apologist, and Gary is a great singer.  Let me know if you want me to step up on that soap box ... LOL

Edited by 01GT eibach
punctuation correction

Dave sucked on the 1984 tour.

But anyway, just another night for a band that is killing it no matter what the r4tard out front does or doesn't do.  Still my favorite Halen to do, don't care how bad Dave drives it into the mud.  I've already seen him do it, it is no surprise.

rct

4 hours ago, Kahuna Nui said:

I need eye bleach and something sharp to jam in my ears. It's like someone put Miley Cyrus and my Grandfather in the teleporter from The Fly. 

Even Billy and the Boingers wouldn't have him in the band. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, rct said:

Dave sucked on the 1984 tour.

But anyway, just another night for a band that is killing it no matter what the r4tard out front does or doesn't do.  Still my favorite Halen to do, don't care how bad Dave drives it into the mud.  I've already seen him do it, it is no surprise.

rct

When ever I refer to the song Jump, I call it Junk. Dont listen to it its  - Junk Junk them some garbage keyboards.

Maybe I am not the DLR apologist after all, because I am not defending Dave's bad vocals whatsoever.  Furthermore, I had no interest in seeing the re-formed Van Halen with Dave when he re-joined Van Halen in the 2000s because I knew just how bad his singing was.  In fact, I was likely the only one strongly wishing that they would get Gary Cherone back in the band.  The VH III era is often unfairly dismissed.  Cherone can absolutely sing, and their album together was a lot better than people give it credit for.  Just because it sold poorly compared to the Hagar albums is not  the fully definitive measure of quality rock and roll.

rs-4276-rectangle.jpg?resize=900,600&w=1

5 hours ago, Murph said:

He's a living legend. He's pushing 70. I think he was drunk.

I'll cut him some slack, he just loves being Dave and I'm cool with that.

Eddie might not be well, and stuff and he's no Roy Orbison.

So what.

Living legend or not there is a time to retire and all the sycophants hanging on and telling you that you still got it are just leeches. It has been over 35 to 40 years since the Stones have needed to go away , but they don't.  The Beatles said we are making music now that can't be reproduced live with out several extra musicians, and they were burned out,  and our shows are nothing more that a billion girls screaming. So they stopped and when they broke up there was not 10 reunion tours as a cash grab. 

Just my opinion. You got yours I got mine. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

Maybe I am not the DLR apologist after all, because I am not defending Dave's bad vocals whatsoever.  Furthermore, I had no interest in seeing the re-formed Van Halen with Dave when he re-joined Van Halen in the 2000s because I knew just how bad his singing was.  In fact, I was likely the only one strongly wishing that they would get Gary Cherone back in the band.  The VH III era is often unfairly dismissed.  Cherone can absolutely sing, and their album together was a lot better than people give it credit for.  Just because it sold poorly compared to the Hagar albums is not  the fully definitive measure of quality rock and roll.

Being from the NE Area I'd seen Gary sing with his band Extreme many times.  Anyone who doubts can check out the "Freddie Mercury Tribute" concert.

He has a great voice, but not for VH.

Oh and Big Bill (as usual) had the best reaction post on DLR.