Gibson Brands Forums

Custom quilt top price

ChrisBlues

Morning peeps

UK based, I have  Les Paul Custom Shop Quilt Top in Trans Blue that I'm thinking of selling but have no idea of the value, can anybody help  me?  Condition is excellent, the only minor blemishes are some very fine pick marks between the pick up switch and the neck.  Any guidance appreciated.   Cheers. 

Did you buy it brand new? Since it’s a blue quilt, I’m guessing it’s a more modern LP, so what it was worth brand new, probably can get about half of what it was brand new MSRP. I know from experience as I bought a beautiful LP Custom myself brand new and I would be lucky to get half of what I paid. Luckily I don’t want to sell it because I’d lose out big time. But then again, the world is a strange place and if you just happen to run into the right person, you might get more. Selling guitars is a strange business.

Anyhow, with no pics and you’re vague description, I am unsure how anyone would have anything to say about a concrete number for a price where to start. What year was it made? Do you have all the stuff that came with it new? There are literally thousands of LP Customs out there and just because it’s top is quilted doesn’t make it any more special TBH. Can you find somewhat comparable LP Customs online for sale to get an idea where to start? A lot of times, pick a number and if it doesn’t sell in a long time, it’s obviously too high for the market that brings the demand. If you want to be bullish about it, may take years to sell at your price... yes there are people who are selling 5lbs of gold at the 10lb rate. All depends how fast you need to move it out for the money. Good luck!  

Edited by NighthawkChris
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChrisBlues said:

Cheers for that. It's a 2005, original case but no candy, bought second hand so no idea what the retail would've been when new. 

Here is one on Reverb in the states. Its a 2006 though. Different color. Not sure if yours is like this but 3k is the price. Not sure what 3k US is in Sterling Pounds.

https://reverb.com/item/29381200-2006-gibson-les-paul-standard-class-5-custom-shop-trans-black-quilt-top

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1