Gibson Brands Forums

Need help verifying Les Paul

FrankD90

Hello Everyone, 

I'm new to the Gibson world but not musical instruments (been playing for a few years now). I was selling something locally recently until I was approached with a trade. The item I was selling was valued around $1300.00. The gentleman approached me with a Gibson Les Paul 2015 Classic model in green? I was hoping some of you could verify and confirm it was authentic? I have no interest in keeping the Gibson as I need the cash at the moment. So I'm just hoping it's real and I can get what I'd have into it at least. 

I couldn't post photos on the post but I will work on that. 

guitar.jpg

Edited by FrankD90
  • Like 1

They made those for about a year with the extra switch and 3 knobs with the metal nut thing. I'm going all in and saying real deal.

So you traded for this guitar and back then, and you did not know if it was real? It that right.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Correct. It was a gamble. The guy is said it was given to him, he built a throne (chair) out of guitars for Gibson, so he was paid with a few Les Pauls. He didn't play guitar so he was just trading them for things he wanted. 

What would you value this one at? Did I lose money?

4 hours ago, FrankD90 said:

What do you think it could sell for realistically? It comes with the hardcase, extra strings, and charger for the auto-tuner (which I know some folks don't care for too much). 

Not sure how much you charged the guy for what you built for him but new those probably went for close to maybe $1700 to 2 grand. Even if you didn't play it it still considered used maybe you could get 60% of that. I know that Les Paul 100 scroll looks like a three-year-old did it but that guitar is the real deal. That is one of the things people loathed about that year, that and the metal nut.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Yes ... The "Les Paul 100", metal nut, and automatic tuners are all not highly popular offerings.  It sure is pretty though ... very nice looking guitar with a nice top and cool color.  A new Les Paul Classic goes for $2K.  I'd put yours at around $1300-1500, depending on how quickly you want to move it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, FrankD90 said:

I appreciate the input! I'd like to keep it for myself but I'd probably let it go at $1300.00 just need to find a good avenue to sell it I'd normally go to Ebay but they may kill me with fees. 

Thanks again!

Fran k

Try Reverb screw the bay. 3% vice 10% fees. In the past 2 weeks I've sold 2 guitars. In about less than 10 days of listing. If its priced right and its clean it will sell.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If you do play and want to keep it, I would change the metal nut to a bone one, change the boost or phase switch whatever it is and put in the other tone pot yank off that ridiculous tuner put some different machine tuners on there and you got a rock and roll machine. Or sell it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would look at the Guitar Center website to see what these are going for used there to get a pricing estimate.  This is a 2015 and they sold poorly due to the tuners and headstock graphics. It will fetch lower than a similar classic from a different year.

I have a 2014 Classic in Cherry with the 15db boost and paid $1700.00 brand new with OHSC. I bought the 2014 Anniversary precisely to avoid the metal nut, auto tuners, Les Paul 100 scrawl and the hologram of Les.

The case you have is not what should have come with that guitar - it should be a brown leather hard case with pink "fur" inside. Without the case candy, you've lost a lot of resale value as well. I would value your guitar closer to $1000.00 at best.

I just bought a 2017 Classic LE in Surf Greenwith OHSC for $700.00 that is in excellent shape.

2014LPsm.jpg

2017LPsm.jpg