Gibson Brands Forums

Jinder - Maple AJ Review?

uncle fester

Hey Jinder - all this maple activity had me wondering how the maple AJ has integrated into your playing life.  Is it in your regular line up of guitars you use when you gig out, or are there specific occasions you use for it...  and are you still smitten?  Call me 'maple curious' 🙂

• Like 1

I like the Maple AJ very much...I tend to prioritise my Dove for maple dread use, but the AJ is an excellent instrument which I've used a great deal on the new record I have on the way next month. It records well, plays well, sounds great live through the Sunrise I have in it, and in a room it's a big, loud, chunky monkey!

My only gripe with it (as often happens with lightly braced guitars) is a resonant node exists at F#, so when playing a D chord as a C shape moved up two frets (I do this a lot in my voicings), the F# note on the D string is a little thuddy with less sustain than the other notes in the chord. It's not the end of the world by any means, and I am soon going to fit some brass pins to see if I can move the node down to either the midway point between F and F# or up to the midpoint between F# and G, by changing the resonant top mass. This has worked for me in the past, so fingers crossed!

I should stress that that isn't a deal-breaker...it's a gorgeous instrument and a privilege to own.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jinder said:

I like the Maple AJ very much...I tend to prioritise my Dove for maple dread use, but the AJ is an excellent instrument which I've used a great deal on the new record I have on the way next month. It records well, plays well, sounds great live through the Sunrise I have in it, and in a room it's a big, loud, chunky monkey!

My only gripe with it (as often happens with lightly braced guitars) is a resonant node exists at F#, so when playing a D chord as a C shape moved up two frets (I do this a lot in my voicings), the F# note on the D string is a little thuddy with less sustain than the other notes in the chord. It's not the end of the world by any means, and I am soon going to fit some brass pins to see if I can move the node down to either the midway point between F and F# or up to the midpoint between F# and G, by changing the resonant top mass. This has worked for me in the past, so fingers crossed!

Highly interesting - tell us what happened when done.