Gibson Brands Forums

2002 Gibson Les Paul Custom Stars & Stripes

bemb

I just bought this Custom Stars & Stripes SN 029738  and I am looking for info like what kind of fret board it has, what kind of pups and I hope it was worth the $5100 I spent on it, I have seen quite a few in the standard model but this is the 1st I have seen as a Custom with the Binding  and Diamond on the Head stock. Any Help would be appreciated, This is my last guitar, at 68 I am keeping it for my older sons in hopes that it goes up in price! Not a Player, Display Case Material. I will play my other LP's it is to beautiful to mark up. Thanks for any help in advance!pic2.jpg.c49c5de0a6ac7b8ea720cb9aa65fc2b1.jpgpic11.jpg.04b06cefb30e07bb1a57fa92bc83507c.jpgpic.jpg.8556ac602d0fb8f70db66bf5e64ad368.jpgpic7.jpg.4f4dd81bdf99c9bc5705332229961c0f.jpgpic1.jpg.6eb632c238c9bdf50cb37ee6fcb94665.jpg

• Like 1

It has the historic badge on the back of the neck, so probably has long neck tenon.  Pull the neck pickup out and see what set is has.  While you're at it, in the neck pickup pocket, you can see if it has a long or short neck tenon.  It's pretty easy to see the difference between ebony and rosewood - as I couldn't imagine it would be something else on the fretboard.  I am confident that it isn't Richlite.  That stuff came after 2012 I believe.  Other than that, it's a LP Custom - MOP inlays, bound body front and back, split diamond on headstock...  Commenting on the price you paid, I wouldn't worry about it.  A guitar like that won't come cheap being that there are probably no more out there like it - and if there are, definitely VERY few around.  Cool guitar man, best wishes and enjoy! 

Thanks I am sure that it is a keeper for a long time, I am thinking it is ebony, they usually spared no expense on this year model, I will call Gibson because I really dont want to start pulling things apart and end up dropping something on top of it. I am in the process in selling my Nighthawk, probably shouldnt cause it is so darn light and plays well. Thanks for your help!

• 2 months later...

I guess we will never know if it is a nuge reply or not, Like his politics and love his music, have lots of mp3's and quite a few record albums, I only wish I could play as good as he does, so smooth and effortless!

Edited by bemb
needed to correct some forgotten items

This is interesting and I wonder if anyone knows more about it.  I thought the original 25 "blue-backs" made after 911 were all numbered the same - 091101, with a handwritten number below them and I thought they were standards.  This is the first custom I've seen.  Was there a run of them or did someone have this custom-made?

I talked to gibson and they told me that there was 50 made primarily for the Japanese market this one ended up back in the USA , and I feel lucky to have a real custom not a standard! Serial numbers all match up with Gibson.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/22/2020 at 4:29 PM, bemb said:

Thanks I am sure that it is a keeper for a long time, I am thinking it is ebony, they usually spared no expense on this year model, I will call Gibson because I really dont want to start pulling things apart and end up dropping something on top of it. I am in the process in selling my Nighthawk, probably shouldnt cause it is so darn light and plays well. Thanks for your help!

Your pics are too small to tell the wood, but rosewood has a much more open grain and is softer. Ebony is hard - almost brittle, with a much smaller grain structure. 

Never seen one of these before. Looks great.

• 3 months later...

Hi -  I have one of these.  S/N 029718.  Bought it in Japan in 2013.  Just saw this as I was looking to see if any are on the market.  I am decluttering and considering selling it.

Yes - apparently this was a limited run just for Namano (a big Instrument distributor) in Japan.    I heard they only made 25 for this run, but dont have verifiable info.  In any case its super rare, but very unknown by collectors (for now).   Neck is ebony indeed.   Tone is amazing!.   It growls and screams.   Sustain for days.    I have barely played it though as its quite heavy.  It weighs in over 11 Lbs as its solid solid.

Anyway I think you have a great instrument that will surely not lose value.

image.png.899cabb83fe7004b78e0f7d8fc7469e7.png

Edited by GBEAR
add photo

Nice looking strap, but I use Schaller strap locks and a Gibson Black strap with the Les Paul logo, they are from the early 90's only one person on ebay sells them for around $50 they come out of a strap set that came with some Les Paul Picks and a set of Gibson strings plus a les paul trading card.

@inlikeflynn:  thanks for your interest.  i am tending towards keeping it for now.    i have to cull my herd  of guitars a bit (wife is sick of the cases, lol), but am attached to this one.  let me think about it a bit.  Either way I have the Stars &  Stripes at my place in Asia at the moment (hanging with its "family" - see picture).  was going to bring it back to the US later this year (travel permitting) so its tricky now.  If i do decide to sell ill let you know and also post here.   THANKS

gibsons.JPG.604063619f789eb87205ddf5e9aaa1b0.JPG

• Like 1

Yeah looks like all are in japan, looks pretty scuffed up from pick marks though, dont know if it is worth the $6200 price tag, I wander why Gibson never made  one of these for the USA market, only the Standards, It never had a C.O.A for it either.