Gibson Brands Forums
bemb

2002 Gibson Les Paul Custom Stars & Stripes

I just bought this Custom Stars & Stripes SN 029738  and I am looking for info like what kind of fret board it has, what kind of pups and I hope it was worth the $5100 I spent on it, I have seen quite a few in the standard model but this is the 1st I have seen as a Custom with the Binding  and Diamond on the Head stock. Any Help would be appreciated, This is my last guitar, at 68 I am keeping it for my older sons in hopes that it goes up in price! Not a Player, Display Case Material. I will play my other LP's it is to beautiful to mark up. Thanks for any help in advance!pic2.jpg.c49c5de0a6ac7b8ea720cb9aa65fc2b1.jpgpic11.jpg.04b06cefb30e07bb1a57fa92bc83507c.jpgpic.jpg.8556ac602d0fb8f70db66bf5e64ad368.jpgpic7.jpg.4f4dd81bdf99c9bc5705332229961c0f.jpgpic1.jpg.6eb632c238c9bdf50cb37ee6fcb94665.jpg

• Like 1

When was it built? Maybe if really dark ebony or even on uber expensive guitars Gibson did Richlite aka resin and cardboard. Pups no clue. Take one out and look at the back. Best bet call Gibson. 

It has the historic badge on the back of the neck, so probably has long neck tenon.  Pull the neck pickup out and see what set is has.  While you're at it, in the neck pickup pocket, you can see if it has a long or short neck tenon.  It's pretty easy to see the difference between ebony and rosewood - as I couldn't imagine it would be something else on the fretboard.  I am confident that it isn't Richlite.  That stuff came after 2012 I believe.  Other than that, it's a LP Custom - MOP inlays, bound body front and back, split diamond on headstock...  Commenting on the price you paid, I wouldn't worry about it.  A guitar like that won't come cheap being that there are probably no more out there like it - and if there are, definitely VERY few around.  Cool guitar man, best wishes and enjoy! 

Thanks I am sure that it is a keeper for a long time, I am thinking it is ebony, they usually spared no expense on this year model, I will call Gibson because I really dont want to start pulling things apart and end up dropping something on top of it. I am in the process in selling my Nighthawk, probably shouldnt cause it is so darn light and plays well. Thanks for your help!