Gibson Brands Forums

When a Band Turns into a Corporation

Big Bill

Found this article about Aerosmith. Joey Kramer injures his ankle and couldn't play for the last six months. Now he is forced to "audition" to rejoin the band. They will not even let him participate in the Grammys.  I wonder who is the mastermind behind this move? LSS

https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/aerosmith-drummer-sues-rejoin-band-grammy-honors-68453465?cid=clicksource_4380645_11_comic_strip_sq_hed

Edited by Big Bill

When I stop and think about it, bands such as the Beatles, The Who,  Led Zeppelin,  Yes,  and others became a brand. I saw The Who last spring and it was obvious that not only did Roger Daltrey and Pete Townshend form a band, they really built a musical business, a corporate empire. 

Edited by Navy Vet.
  • Like 1

I think before we judge these bands, lets not forget how much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ record company executives have made or stolen from musicians over the years....... And what about all the people that downloaded all that virtually free music from Napster and the musicians received very little if at all any compensation for their work.

In today's world artist must become much more business oriented in order to protect themselves..... Having a manager just isn't enough these days.... They must have legal counsel.

What bothers me is what their willing to give up for the almighty dollar. What are they gaining by keeping someone like Joey Kramer continuing on the band or sharing in the celebration of their success? I guess when it comes to $$$, selling our souls doesn't matter. 

• Like 1

If I work the same job as you at the same place and I asked for $45 an hour and you asked for $35 then bad on you. How much $ has Aersomith made and put in their veins and nose? I don't feel bad for them for half a second. I am sure those guys live a little bit more comfortably than me. I'm sorry the music business wants to eat its own. Life is unfair.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

What bothers me is what their willing to give up for the almighty dollar. What are they gaining by keeping someone like Joey Kramer continuing on the band or sharing in the celebration of their success? I guess when it comes to $$$, selling our souls doesn't matter. 

They are one of the few Dinosaur Bands still around (amazingly) with the original members. Unless they give Joey the boot, which looks like they want to.

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They are one of the few Dinosaur Bands still around (amazingly) with the original members. Unless they give Joey the boot, which looks like they want to.

IMHO, If they do that they have officially become "has beens".

I find it f-ed up that they will not allow this guy to celebrate their success since he contributed so much to it.  It's not like he shot the pope!!

Edited by Big Bill
  • Like 3

Some of their old stuff before my time was OK.  IDK, I was born in 1980.  First I ever heard of them was when they were on MTV with Alicia Silverstone (hubba hubba back then).  I mean, yeah, the optics look very rotten since I am hearing this guy was the founder of Aerosmith and they are basically cutting him out because he doesn't "match the energy levels" anymore or something like that after he had some sort of injury - heard from radio announcer saying this.  He had to re-audition for his band that he created???  In today's world, nothing surprises me anymore though.  Personally what I think about the band, don't care about them.  They have been irrelevant to me forever.  To each and to their own, not an Aerosmith fan here.  When I hear their stuff on the radio - and yes, I listen to the air waves still - I change the station. 

• Like 1

My understanding is that he was offered a spot during the acceptance and celebration of the awards, just can't perform for the live show. Pretty sure he blew that part of the offer with the lawsuit.

Still bad though. They could have figured out the drum equivalent of lip syncing for the live performances.

It sucks, im not an Aerosmith fan, i like some old 80s songs, but that's about it, i think he makes a point with this:

"" He argued the “artificial, made-up and undefined” requirement was “insulting and upsetting” because that no other member of the band has been asked to do it before. Singer Steven Tyler, guitarists Joe Perry and Bradley Whitford, and bassist Tom Hamilton have all been recently sidelined with injuries and illnesses and weren’t asked to re-audition for their jobs, Kramer noted in his suit. ""

maybe they just want to kick him out and this is an excuse

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah I saw that. They haven't done anything decent since Rocks anyway F Aerosmith.

Got to disagree with you on that one. The first album I got by Aerosmith was Get a Grip, a year or two after it came out in around 1994/1995. I was 10 or 11 then so maybe it's a generation thing, but I love that album. Pump was the next one I bought and I love that too.  I didn't even know at the time they were from the 70's! I eventually got Toys in the Attic (my favourite Aerosmith album) and discovered the rest of their catalogue. I also love Draw the Line and Night in the Ruts. The only album they never should have released is Just Push Play. Truly awful album. Generally I like all Aerosmith albums. 

Edited by cody78

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They have been 'Has Beens" since they started making albums with mostly power ballads.

They had at least 1 power ballad on nearly all their early albums, starting with Dream On from their first record. I don't get your argument! Take 1989's Pump...only one power ballad on that if I recall correctly. 

Edited by cody78

18 minutes ago, cody78 said:

Got to disagree with you on that one. The first album I got by Aerosmith was Get a Grip, a year or two after it came out in around 1994/1995. I was 10 or 11 then so maybe it's a generation thing, but I love that album. Pump was the next one I bought and I love that too.  I didn't even know at the time they were from the 70's! I eventually got Toys in the Attic (my favourite Aerosmith album) and discovered the rest of their catalogue. I also love Draw the Line and Night in the Ruts. The only album they never should have released is Just Push Play. Truly awful album. Generally I like all Aerosmith albums. 

You can disagree all you want. Your entitled to your own opinion just like I'm entitled to mine. Draw The Line was a drug fueled mess. Night In The Ruts was terrible after that I never listen to much of them again except when forced from songs that were played on radio. Dream On annoys me.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, cody78 said:

They had at least 1 power ballad on nearly all their early albums, starting with Dream On from their first record. I don't get your argument! Take 1989's Pump...only one power ballad on that if I recall correctly. 

Yup, but "Crying" and "Amazing" make Bryan Adams sound like Napalm Death. Two listens and bam - type 2 diabetes.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

You can disagree all you want. Your entitled to your own opinion just like I'm entitled to mine. Draw The Line was a drug fueled mess. Night In The Ruts was terrible after that I never listen to much of them again except when forced from songs that were played on radio. Dream On annoys me.

Haha! No, you're not entitled to an opinion if you're bashing Aerosmith. I am joking. ..like what you want to like, or not in this case. 

36 minutes ago, Pinch said:

Yup, but "Crying" and "Amazing" make Bryan Adams sound like Napalm Death. Two listens and bam - type 2 diabetes.

Well that was harsh...but probably true! I like both those songs, but then I always thought Bryan Adams had some good songs.  Interestingly, one of my friends who is a total metal enthusiast loves the song Amazing. I never understood how he would slate everything except metal, but made an exception for Aerosmith. His favourite Aerosmith album is 1997's Nine Lives I think. I like Aerosmith, I like metal too, I like jazz, classical, minimalism, rock, blues, funk, world music and many other styles. Aerosmith are great in my opinion. 

Edited by cody78