Gibson Brands Forums

When a Band Turns into a Corporation

Big Bill

2 hours ago, 01GT eibach said:

I was a Marin County brat ... so maybe then our rock-and-roll paths crossed at some point?  I went Navy, too.  I did 6 years as a Navy Nuke Officer on subs.  I couldn't stay in after the JO tour to get even close to retirement.  So, good for you, my bro!

300px-USS_Alaska_(SSBN-732).jpg

I retired and EMCS. We came close I think we were both a The Stones Tattoo You Tour at Candlestick Park. I went the second day. The day before my 14th birthday.

I was stationed on the USS Curts (FFG-38) when I was a squid.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love that bad @ss BC Rich

Forget the B Rich, what about the Travis Bean! Always loved the look of them, never got to try one.  I saw a band live years ago and the guitarist had one...I think that's the only time I've seen one in person. 

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wow, Aerosmith performed Walk This Way with Run DMC. Clearly a song Joey had never played 1000+ times. F- Smith.

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't lose the time of my life watching the Grammys.  Actually, I pride myself in the fact that I never watch any of that mainstream award garbage.  Cheers to you man, I share your sentiment 100% nearly every post of this thread.  Sorry, the radio was talking about this garbage today and I got triggered, haha! 

13 minutes ago, NighthawkChris said:

Yeah, I'm glad I didn't lose the time of my life watching the Grammys.  Actually, I pride myself in the fact that I never watch any of that mainstream award garbage.  Cheers to you man, I share your sentiment 100% nearly every post of this thread.  Sorry, the radio was talking about this garbage today and I got triggered, haha! 

I didn't watch that joke of a show. It just comes up on my internet at work and saw they played that sell out of a song they had to do back in the day, cause no one gave a rip about them, back then.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

When I was stationed in Kentucky I tried a glass of home brewed wine made from a big can of Welch's Grape Juice , it tasted like Kool-Aid, I drank it down and found myself on the floor a few hours later. Since then I have preferred things that actually taste like you are consuming something with high alcohol content. 

Edited by mihcmac

On 1/27/2020 at 8:31 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I didn't watch that joke of a show. It just comes up on my internet at work and saw they played that sell out of a song they had to do back in the day, cause no one gave a rip about them, back then.

I did watch them on the grammys, i i think their performance was just OK, i dunno i didnt like it

1 hour ago, FemmeParallell said:

I did watch them on the grammys, i i think their performance was just OK, i dunno i didnt like it

Sucked.  Joe was playing the riff wrong key, once they got his down and you could only hear Brad it was fine, Joe came back later in the right key.  Solo was just a couple cats in a bag, awful.  It looked like they found a Joe Kramer look-a-like to play drums.  Tyler was his usual embarrassing self.

rct

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, rct said:

Sucked.  Joe was playing the riff wrong key, once they got his down and you could only hear Brad it was fine, Joe came back later in the right key.  Solo was just a couple cats in a bag, awful.  It looked like they found a Joe Kramer look-a-like to play drums.  Tyler was his usual embarrassing self.

rct

To me they are like Yes. A band I love and have most of their music, but they haven't been relevant to me since Going For The One. Its time for the Dinosaurs to go into extinction. I haven't enjoyed a 'Smith album since Rocks.

On a good night they are probably spectacular, and if they can sell out arenas still and get people out to see them, good for them. At his age we can expect some weakness from Tyler, but I don't think they should retire if they can still move the tickets.  Grammy night wasn't a good night for them.

rct

37 minutes ago, rct said:

rct

haha at first i thought it was JOe Kramer on the drums! he did look a lot like him

25 minutes ago, rct said:

On a good night they are probably spectacular, and if they can sell out arenas still and get people out to see them, good for them. At his age we can expect some weakness from Tyler, but I don't think they should retire if they can still move the tickets.  Grammy night wasn't a good night for them.

rct

There gonna sell tix just based on their name, and that's sad. Their relevancy is less than nothing to me, like I said since Rocks. I get it their musicians do what they know how to do. Just like me. I'm an electrician and I'm not gonna start doing brain surgery tomorrow.

I haven't seen it the Grammy's performance, but people saying Aerosmith haven't done anything good since Rocks is totally not true in my opinion. Nine Lives was the last great Aerosmith album, so maybe they haven't done anything good since 1997! Just Push Play should never have been released, but Music from Another Dimension had a few good songs. Anyway, Nine Lives was the last time Aerosmith really sounded like Aerosmith and the title track is a brilliant song. 

1 hour ago, rct said:

I thought the Allmans should have quit five minutes after they fired Dickey.

rct

I saw them in '09. Warren good. Show was good. Met and saw Jack Pearson in Nashville. That cat can play the she-I-it out of a  guit-fiddle.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I saw them in '09. Warren good. Show was good. Met and saw Jack Pearson in Nashville. That cat can play the she-I-it out of a  guit-fiddle.

Oh yes.  Saw quite a few with him, him and Dickey were each their own magic them nights.

rct