Gibson Brands Forums

gibson j-45 1946

fiddle dude

Hey y'all this is a 1946 gibson j45. Im trying to figure out a estimate on its worth. it has 3 re[paired back cracks, had replaced bridge /saddle, tuners are original with new buttons, it has had professional neck reset done, frets are at moderate wear, nut width is 1 3/4. Im not looking to sell, Id like to know what i own and the worth of it at least. i have played many gibsons, banner era and etc. this one has signature sound, the bass is crazy. i play Texas style fiddle, and that exactly what we love. anyways any info would help!

I can post some audio later

IMG_20191125_115825.jpg

Screenshot_20191118-184740.png

IMG_20191125_115732.jpg

It may be the lighting angle, but that looks like a belly-down (Martin style) bridge, which would likely be a replacement. It should be a rectangular bridge.

The finish looks intact, but rough. If I were insuring it, I'd place a value of around $5k on it, but you might struggle to get that if selling. The market is up and down on early post-war J's, particularly if they are player-grade.

Based on what I've seen, '46 with script logo and wider neck brings a slight premium compared to block-logo J's from about 1947-1952, which are generally all the same spec.

I don't know what Gruhn charges for an appraisal these days, but he slightly higher value he may determine might be good for insurance purposes, even if you have to discount it if you want to sell at some point.

4 hours ago, slimt said:

My guess in that condition. 2000 to maybe 25 . 

Since you're in Canada, are these $CAD? If so, that would be in the range of about $1500 to $1870 USD. That sounds really low, unless there is something seriously wrong with the guitar. But I haven't looked at prices on older J-45's recently.  If they have gotten this cheap though, maybe I should. 😀

Edited by Boyd
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Boyd said:

Since you're in Canada, are these $CAD? If so, that would be in the range of about $1500 to $1870 USD. That sounds really low, unless there is something seriously wrong with the guitar. But I haven't looked at prices on older J-45's recently.  If they have gotten this cheap though, maybe I should. 😀

no. Its U.S prices. Most what I find is south of the border.   How ever I have paid alot less and got alot more.