Gibson Brands Forums

You’re Probably Using The WRONG Guitar Strings

Rabs

I did watch the first video, couldn't make it through all of the second one.  I could hear a slight difference and agree with Beato that the lighter set was clearer sounding on the low end.  But I don't just play power chords like they were doing so not an all encompassing test.  I may have used 8s way back in 1970 or so, then mostly 9s for many years,  and eventually went to 10s on both LP and Strat.  Usually playing in a three man group where I am the only guitar, not concerned with "cutting through the mix" as I am the only one playing those frequencies.   I feel the 10s just give me a fuller sound at both the high and low end.

I think, if the strings you are using get the sound you want and feel good, they are correct for you. I use 10-46 on all my guitars, electric/acoustic whatever, so they feel the same. But this is what works for me, it doesn't make me right.

Edited by mihcmac

21 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I think, if the strings you are using get the sound you want and feel good, they are correct for you. I use 10-46 on all my guitars, electric/acoustic whatever, so they feel the same. But this is what works for me, it doesn't make me right.

I tend to agree. I use 10's on electrics and 12's on acoustics.

11's on my mandolin.

17's on the resonator.

I figured it out WITHOUT a youTube video too.....

10 minutes ago, Murph said:

I tend to agree. I use 10's on electrics and 12's on acoustics.

11's on my mandolin.

17's on the resonator.

I figured it out WITHOUT a youTube video too.....

I picked out my own clothes today without Beato's help, but I'm probably dressed wrong.