Gibson Brands Forums

Married,single,divorced or committed bacholers/bachorlette

Mr. Gibson

Married early in life, and we were far too young to be getting married. 
Did it anyway, against all good advice.
That turned out to be a pretty miserable experiment. 
The silver lining was that it produced our daughter, and she's a real joy. 
In the end, that union lasted 19 years. 
I only accumulated three guitars in all those years.

Married a second time, almost 21 years ago. 
This one is going much better. 
No kids, but plenty of guitars. 
More than I can count, actually.
Again, much better this time around. 
😌

• Like 2

I think you are single and no longer divorced when you no longer have to pay alimony and/or child support.

My advice for those who are single and want to get married some day.

• Marry your best friend. It should be someone you would like to spend all day with even if sex wasn't involved. You can have sex with plenty of people you don't want to marry. Sex is great and for me necessary, but it doesn't take the place of friendship
  • Marry someone who shares your most important things, and especially your most important passions, whether it's music, camping, travel, sports, bird watching, skiing, boating, computer programming,  bowling, dancing, or whatever. Your best friend usually shares those things, so should your wife
  • Try to make your prospect mate feel like the luckiest person in the world to be with you, and if he/she doesn't do the same for you, find another
  • Sense of humor - I know that's a cliche but it's very important

If your wife/husband is your very best friend, and would still be your best friend if he/she was the opposite gender, you made the right choice.

Insights and incites by Notes

Edited by Notes_Norton
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Notes_Norton said:

I think you are single and no longer divorced when you no longer have to pay alimony and/or child support.

My advice for those who are single and want to get married some day.

• Marry your best friend. It should be someone you would like to spend all day with even if sex wasn't involved. You can have sex with plenty of people you don't want to marry. Sex is great and for me necessary, but it doesn't take the place of friendship
  • Marry someone who shares your most important things, and especially your most important passions, whether it's music, camping, travel, sports, bird watching, skiing, boating, computer programming,  bowling, dancing, or whatever. Your best friend usually shares those things, so should your wife
  • Try to make your prospect mate feel like the luckiest person in the world to be with you, and if he/she doesn't do the same for you, find another
  • Sense of humor - I know that's a cliche but it's very important

If your wife/husband is your very best friend, and would still be your best friend if he/she was the opposite gender, you made the right choice.

Insights and incites by Notes

having things in common are critical as well as a good sense of humor. 

but a voluptuous brunette with curly hair & blue eyes ...  I can overlook a few things ...

• Like 4

Married for 4 years, had two kids, divorced. Married for... too long, 11 or 12 years, divorced.  I've been with my lovely lady for 5 1/2 years on Feb 1st, not married although we act like husband and wife. We both came out of two horrible marriages. Maybe this year we'll tie the knot. She is wearing a rather pretty rock on her finger and we're both the happiest we've ever been.

• Like 2

43 years in October of this year.  we met in 9th grade, and have been together ever since.   I got lucky cuz she is an awesome wife, and person.  Wicked Smart and very caring.

Being with her has me a far better person than I would have been without her, although I've no idea who THAT person would be since I was 16 when we started our journey.

• Like 3

married at 27, divorced at 31. That was 40 years ago.

Since my last partner Jan passed away 6 years ago. I've recently met a woman who has made me happier than I have ever been.

So we are both retired and long in the tooth, but acting like a couple of kids. Except this time around we know what we're doing💕. Its never too late to find happiness fellas. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Karloff said:

we should start a sister thread to this one, how bad did she take you in the divorce ... lol. 

We didn't really have anything but between the two of them, my credit was SHOT. In the last few years, it's gotten a LOT better because we live within our means, pay our bills and can even afford guitars, kitchen appliances and beach vacations. I'm not sure how they're doing now and don't really care but I'm going to assume pretty terrible. Neither wants to work and pay bills but love to spend more than they make.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, MichaelT said:

We didn't really have anything but between the two of them, my credit was SHOT. In the last few years, it's gotten a LOT better because we live within our means, pay our bills and can even afford guitars, kitchen appliances and beach vacations. I'm not sure how they're doing now and don't really care but I'm going to assume pretty terrible. Neither wants to work and pay bills but love to spend more than they make.

My drummer pal just went through a divorce about 2 years ago,  it was pretty amicable, but similar issue there.

"She's great at spending money, she absolutely sucks at making it..."  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kidblast said:

My drummer pal just went through a divorce about 2 years ago,  it was pretty amicable, but similar issue there.

That was pretty much it, yep. Don't have that problem now. She's always looking for sales, coupons, deals, etc. Except her car. She went top notch on it. :D

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

my current wife (#3), she works hard, and spends every penny she makes. but at least she works. my 1st 2 wives refused to work,

1st divorce, May of '83. guy I knew named Mark. she decided she liked him better. I let her have the house, everything in it. I left with my guitars, stereo & an old chair my grandfather gave me.         my 2nd divorce May of '93, a guy I knew named Mark (another Mark) she decided she liked him better. I moved out (same f'n house. I got it back from #1) left with my guitars, stereo & the old chair my grandfather gave me. odd pattern had developed.  #2 wound up taking me to the freakin' cleaners. theres a lot more to the story . usually is ... 

when #3 and I started dating I asked her if she knew any guys named Mark ... 

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

my current wife (#3), she works hard, and spends every penny she makes. but at least she works. my 1st 2 wives refused to work,

1st divorce, May of '83. guy I knew named Mark. she decided she liked him better. I let her have the house, everything in it. I left with my guitars, stereo & an old chair my grandfather gave me.         my 2nd divorce May of '93, a guy I knew named Mark (another Mark) she decided she liked him better. I moved out (same f'n house. I got it back from #1) left with my guitars, stereo & the old chair my grandfather gave me. odd pattern had developed.  #2 wound up taking me to the freakin' cleaners. theres a lot more to the story . usually is ... 

when #3 and I started dating I asked her if she knew any guys named Mark ... 

Haha,not laughing at you just the story...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2