Gibson Brands Forums

Married,single,divorced or committed bacholers/bachorlette

Mr. Gibson

On January 31, 2020 at 1:35 AM, Cabarone said:

Divorced first time (after seven years), widowed second time (after eleven)...just celebrated nineteen years w/my wife now yesterday...she hasn't figured out a different way out yet...

Congrats on 19 with your wife,many more to come.

Never married. Had a long term GF in college who I could have married, but she graduated before me and we agreed to go our separate ways. After that I went into a career field that rewards moving every few years. Didn't want to be tied down to one place and just quit looking a long time ago. Can't say I feel like I'm missing much. I spent years rescuing Siberian Huskies, and that took a lot of my time and gave me something resembling family I guess. Done with that now for the foreseeable future and enjoying not having anyone depending on me at home. I can travel whenever I want and spend my money as I see fit. I'm sure I missed out on something, but I can't really miss what I never knew. My cousins had sons and carried on the name/genes, so that was never something I had to be concerned with. I should be financially set to retire at 50 and not have to work again if I don't want to. All in all I'm pretty happy to be a long term bachelor! 

• Like 1

I married her for her money.  She married me for my good looks.  It turned out, we both got screwed. on that deal.

But, we still lasted 23 years.  Divorced, now, for 20.

I thought after I got divorced, I might remarry fairly quickly, without a long courtship because I thought (mistakenly, of course) that I "understood" women now, after 23 years of marriage.  However, I've found that not only do I not understand women any better than I did in college, but I've also become very picky.

In the last 20 years, I lived with an old college girlfriend for 3+ years, had another couple of 3+ year relationships, had a 4 month GF that told me she wanted to marry me, and right now, I'm 5 months into a thing that I would like to last....

But, there's probably no hope for me.

(Okay!  I feel better now to get all that crap off my chest.)

• Like 4

On 2/2/2020 at 5:42 AM, StRanger7032 said:

Never married. Had a long term GF in college who I could have married, but she graduated before me and we agreed to go our separate ways. After that I went into a career field that rewards moving every few years. Didn't want to be tied down to one place and just quit looking a long time ago. Can't say I feel like I'm missing much. I spent years rescuing Siberian Huskies, and that took a lot of my time and gave me something resembling family I guess. Done with that now for the foreseeable future and enjoying not having anyone depending on me at home. I can travel whenever I want and spend my money as I see fit. I'm sure I missed out on something, but I can't really miss what I never knew. My cousins had sons and carried on the name/genes, so that was never something I had to be concerned with. I should be financially set to retire at 50 and not have to work again if I don't want to. All in all I'm pretty happy to be a long term bachelor! 

Huskies rule!

On 1/29/2020 at 11:20 PM, Rabs said:

Yeah I hear that a fair amount sadly..  People in relationships who are some how more lonely than me...

Cant have it both ways though.. I do of course miss the physical side of things.. Even just simple hugs.. BUT for that and occasionally feeling a little lonely, I get to do what I want all the time... And like Pinch above I have always needed my own space so it mostly suits me but nothing is perfect.

Maybe one day again when I retire and get bored  🙂  

It's something I've realized as I've gotten older. I need my space, and I can't have it both ways. It's not fair on either one.

The good long-term relationships I've had, I look back upon fondly. There were reasons sh-t didn't work out that weren't either one's fault. That said, I couldn't "just be friends". If I've been emotionally involved, that's gonna stay with me.

I don't do sport f-cking anymore. I need neither chlamydia nor alimony. And I'm getting to an age where sex just for the sake of sex is just not that interesting to me. There are, er, online options to relieve the pressure!

Then again - you never know. Who knows.

• Like 2

Met my first wife in June of 1987, married her in June of 1988 in my living room. She passed away in that same living room on January 6, 2011. 

Met my current wife in September 2011 (online). Met her face to face in November 2011. Began a relationship in December 2011. Proposed in January 2012. Married in April 2012.

No regrets, no second thoughts. When you know, you know. 

71561041_3575501699157347_1900458646920232960_n.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Met my first wife in June of 1987, married her in June of 1988 in my living room. She passed away in that same living room on January 6, 2011. 

Met my current wife in September 2011 (online). Met her face to face in November 2011. Began a relationship in December 2011. Proposed in January 2012. Married in April 2012.

No regrets, no second thoughts. When you know, you know. 

71561041_3575501699157347_1900458646920232960_n.jpg

Sorry to hear about the first wife, but it's good to hear all the good second (and sometimes third) marriage stories.

• Like 1

I'm with Notes. I've been happily married 41 years.  Will be 42 this year in November and do not regret it. We do everything together and both retired on the same day in 2013. 

Both Rob and I seem to have the same love for Red Heads. Funny though, before I married Debbie, I claimed I would never marry a redhead. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 8:01 PM, Rabs said:

Weirdly its a serious question.. I have only been married once and when I fill out forms and stuff and it asks me that question I am not sure what to put. That's why I asked  🙂 

Wow! I never read a form that gave the options divorced AND single. It's none of anyone's business who is divorced! 

I was resolute in the decision I made before the ink was put to the decree / paper work,  I was single before the ink dried, and I never looked back.

I pray for her, but with a head full of angry cats I doubt it will have any effect :-)

2 minutes ago, gnappi said:

Wow! I never read a form that gave the options divorced AND single. It's none of anyone's business who is divorced! 

Divorced can be significantly different for tax purposes, so yes, it matters.

rct

If you are married as of 12/31/Tax Year, you are married for that year.  Your divorce would matter for things like the kids.

Divorced and not remarried, you are single.  Your divorce would matter for things like the kids again, and the state of your child support and maintenance matters, depending on when your divorce was finalized and if you've updated your divorce for recent years tax purposes.

rct

On 3/2/2020 at 10:07 AM, rct said:

If you are married as of 12/31/Tax Year, you are married for that year.  Your divorce would matter for things like the kids.

Divorced and not remarried, you are single.  Your divorce would matter for things like the kids again, and the state of your child support and maintenance matters, depending on when your divorce was finalized and if you've updated your divorce for recent years tax purposes.

rct

Are you an accountant? (Just curious)

This sounds like something my CPA sisters might say. :D

Notes

Both my sisters are CPA's which means I have to do my own taxes. They would do mine for free, but they are working very late hours doing work that brings in their livelihood. If I took it elsewhere they would be insulted. So it's me and the software.

They are a phone call away for great advice though.

CPA is a job that isn't suited for me, I like playing music for a living better.

Notes

I don't like working at all.  Retirement has been just great.  I stopped the tax thing at the end of January this year, didn't even get half through the season.  I've gotten too used to a day spent with my guitars and cooking.

rct

Good for you. I hope you have a long, happy retirement.

I play music for a living. I have no intention of retiring. I just like doing it too much. Being in front of an enthusiastic audience is the most fun I can have with my clothes on.

If Tony Bennett and Willie Nelson can do it in their elder years, I don't see any reason why I can't.

Musician isn't what I do, it's what I am. It's how I identify myself. And it gives me a purpose in life. I believe most people need a reason to get up in the morning an Ikigai as the Japanese call it. Music is that for me.

Notes

Just now, Pinch said:

Like hearing all these stories of long-term marriages!

I like living a long-term extremely happy marriage. I don't know what I did right. Probably I just got lucky and was attracted to the woman who suited me best.

I wish everybody's marriage would be as happy as ours.

Notes