Gibson Brands Forums

Monoprice 15w Tube Amp with 12" Celestion and Spring Reverb

mihcmac

13 hours ago, Marky Forrest said:

Great to hear how much you like it! I really like mine too. IMO, it's very comparable to the BJR at 1/3 the price.

I tried a few comparable amps like Laney, Blackstar, VHT and Rivera with similar spec's. Including a used BJR and a new one, I think the SR15 is a good competitor. It would be fun to compare then side by side.. One thing about the SR15, it seems to generate less noise than other amps, like when you stop playing and remove your hands the guitar.. 

Have to see how it holds up over the next few weeks.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Marky Forrest said:

I noticed that, too.

Good, I was hoping I wasn't imagining the loss of noise..

Specs....

Model   611815
Driver   12" Celestion® Seventy 80
Rated Power   15 watts
Frequency Response   80Hz ~ 10kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion   0.5% (clean mode)
Hum and Noise   -75dB below rated power
Input Impedance   1 megohm
Power Consumption   50 watts maximum
Amplifier Load Range   8 ~ 16 ohms
Preamplifier Section   3x ECC83/12AX7 preamp tubes
Power Amplifier Section   2x EL84 power tubes
Dimensions   16.8" x 17.1" x 9.25" (427 x 435 x 235 mm)
Weight   25.4 lbs. (11.5kg)

Noise update; I did manage to get some by adding a bit of OD+Boost, while using P90's. Most effected was my Junior DC with an actual 59 LP P90. The least effected was my SG with GFS Mean 90's, maybe because of the silver plated coil chassis?

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I've been looking at these for a while,, they were quite the hit in the Electric side of the AGF..

if I didn't have too many amps already... 

13 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Glad you got it and are enjoying playing.  Sounds like a wonderful amp for the money, versatile and useful for home, band practice, or smaller venue gigs.  Enjoy👍

I am impressed by the sound it can give from low to high volume. I have the opportunity really push it in the open air this weekend.. 😬

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I use mine every day and am satisfied . I do use a Rocktron chameleon processor for clean up and boost. It is kind of my signature with all my amps.  I really like the HUSH of the Rocktron. I can dial down my volume and still get the big stage sound. I can't think of any other amp that can produce as well for the money. A great bang for your buck machine.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Roxx said:

I use mine every day and am satisfied . I do use a Rocktron chameleon processor for clean up and boost. It is kind of my signature with all my amps.  I really like the HUSH of the Rocktron. I can dial down my volume and still get the big stage sound. I can't think of any other amp that can produce as well for the money. A great bang for your buck machine.

I played at an outdoor jam this afternoon, the SR15 sounded really good, got it to about 1/2 volume ( 3 & 8 ) for while, it really screams without breaking up and my RK5 works really well with it. No line noise until a tiny bit with 2 OD's and then a little more with 3 OD's..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

Sometimes I play straight into the amp (still searching for that Santana tone) but usually I play through a Boss ME-80. I noticed a wee bit of noise with OD, also. Not enough to complain about though. I did hit quite a bit of noise with one of the ME-80's presets. I was experimenting with presets and when I turned on this one I got an unpleasantly load hum. I didn't make note of which preset it was and what effects it used but most of the lights lit up so it could be a strange combination. I'll see if I can find it again today and let you guys know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Marky Forrest said:

Sometimes I play straight into the amp (still searching for that Santana tone) but usually I play through a Boss ME-80. I noticed a wee bit of noise with OD, also. Not enough to complain about though. I did hit quite a bit of noise with one of the ME-80's presets. I was experimenting with presets and when I turned on this one I got an unpleasantly load hum. I didn't make note of which preset it was and what effects it used but most of the lights lit up so it could be a strange combination. I'll see if I can find it again today and let you guys know.

I use a Vox Wah pedal and a Richie Kotzen RK5 that has 2 OD's and 1 Boost. Since the RK5 can be used as a Pre-Amp, it is easy to over boost any amps Pre-Amp. So with the RK5 I have each OD set individually to the same level as clean. So I don't get a volume increase until I use any combination of 2, but when all 3 are on it just screams.

Yesterday we played we played without percussion so we were a little quieter than normal with a few guitarists, I had the SR15 eventually set to gain on 3 and volume on 4 but went to 8 for a while. So any where between 4 and 8 would be sufficient for a bar or small cub. Anyway I had a great time the amp sounds really good the tone changes a bit the more you push it, just like a real tube amp...  All good... I am thinking of getting a second one.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Marky Forrest said:

The ME-80 has a pre-amp too but I haven't used it with the SR15 yet. Some things came up today so I didn't get to play.

Wow, a second SR15. That's a  very good endorsement. I realy like mine too and want to spend more time with it. Tomorrow I should have free time.

I am still new to the SR15, its been quite a while since I have had a tube amp and the silky sound is almost overwhelming. But I do like using multiple amps  that are tweaked slightly different for reinforcement.

• Like 1

I"m retired so i can"t afford any new gear.

So i went ahead and bought one! I can"t get over how good this amp sounds for 200 bucks. As a "too good too be true deal", i will turn my head every time i turn it on expecting it to explode or something! Until then this is my new favorite toy. 

After doing a little research i found that this is supposedly a repackaged Laney Cub 12R. A few pics were posted showing the guts of both and they looked pretty much the same. Now the pics were posted a few years ago so not sure how accurate the info is. 

Thanks mihcmac! by the way my cats are going to be pissed now that they have to share their food for the rest of the month😁

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, gdecant1 said:

I"m retired so i can"t afford any new gear.

So i went ahead and bought one! I can"t get over how good this amp sounds for 200 bucks. As a "too good too be true deal", i will turn my head every time i turn it on expecting it to explode or something! Until then this is my new favorite toy. 

After doing a little research i found that this is supposedly a repackaged Laney Cub 12R. A few pics were posted showing the guts of both and they looked pretty much the same. Now the pics were posted a few years ago so not sure how accurate the info is. 

Thanks mihcmac! by the way my cats are going to be pissed now that they have to share their food for the rest of the month😁

Yep its a great sounding amp, specially for the price.. I did see it mentioned about being related to the Laney Club 12R..  Thanks for joining the SR15 club.. 🙂

I HAVE SEEN SOME ADVERTISING FOR STAGE RIGHT 30 WATT HEAD.  I am interested as I have a Peavey 5150 4-12 cabinet with Sheffield speakers and think it may be a good combination to try. It was listed for for around $500. I don't believe it is available yet. If the tube head is any thing like the 15 watt version, I could dig it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Roxx said:

I HAVE SEEN SOME ADVERTISING FOR STAGE RIGHT 30 WATT HEAD.  I am interested as I have a Peavey 5150 4-12 cabinet with Sheffield speakers and think it may be a good combination to try. It was listed for for around $500. I don't believe it is available yet. If the tube head is any thing like the 15 watt version, I could dig it.

The Stage Right 30 Watt Head with 8 to 16 ohm  speaker output, is coming soon I think for $449.99 with free shipping..

6118981.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

How does it sound on the low power setting?

If you are asking about the 30 watt head it hasn't been released yet. 

But the 15 watt combo, the SR15 on the 1w setting sounds pretty good but you have tweak the controls a little the lower you go..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

If you are asking about the 30 watt head it hasn't been released yet. 

But the 15 watt combo, the SR15 on the 1w setting sounds pretty good but you have tweak the controls a little the lower you go..

Thanks.  Yeah, I was asking about the combo.   It's very interesting.  I found several very positive reviews on the tube.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Black Dog said:

Thanks.  Yeah, I was asking about the combo.   It's very interesting.  I found several very positive reviews on the tube.

Some of the older reviews mention the spring reverb, but the current Stage Right 15's reverb has been upgraded. I started out by setting it at about 3, then noticed in a lot of the current demos they just when right to 10 and it didn't sound bad. So I tried it, I'm not a heavy reverb man and I like it, although my usual setting will be lower.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Some of the older reviews mention the spring reverb, but the current Stage Right 15's reverb has been upgraded. I started out by setting it at about 3, then noticed in a lot of the current demos they just when right to 10 and it didn't sound bad. So I tried it, I'm not a heavy reverb man and I like it, although my usual setting will be lower.

I've played with the reverb at 10, just for fun, and it's really pretty good. I was thinking about putting in a longer tank but I'm not in any hurry to do that. I usually keep it at 4 - 5.

Black Dog - I think this is a really great amp for 1/3 the price of a BJR. It also has power attenuation and an effects loop that the BJR doesn't. And, if you don't like it, return it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Marky Forrest said:

I've played with the reverb at 10, just for fun, and it's really pretty good. I was thinking about putting in a longer tank but I'm not in any hurry to do that. I usually keep it at 4 - 5.

Black Dog - I think this is a really great amp for 1/3 the price of a BJR. It also has power attenuation and an effects loop that the BJR doesn't. And, if you don't like it, return it.

Additional note; like a lot of tube amps the tone controls will increase the gain the higher you run them. So if you need to get down to bedroom level reduce the bass, mid and treble and you will be able to drive the input gain more at a very low level.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

After having the SR-15 for a few weeks now and being able to use it in different volume situations, I am very pleased with it. Different levels do require a tweaking of the Gain and Tone controls, like running the Gain higher for low volume when using the 1watt setting and maybe a little increased Bass. Overall it seems be pretty easy to get the sound I want at any level.

I jammed with friends the other day, while using no external effects and found it worked quite well. How ever, I noticed the thing I missed most was the Delay and Chorus that is built in to my other amps. So I ordered an Analog Delay and Analog Chorus that I intend to run through the Effects loop. Will see how it goes.....

I did notice that when playing outdoors it is louder than I expected, I have been running it at about 1/3 of its volume using the 15watt setting.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1