Gibson Brands Forums

Tuner Swap

Sgt. Pepper

I want to change tuners on my guitar. They are gold and I am not a fan of gold. I've changed and installed tuners before, but they have always been the kind where the grommet thread into the tuning machine. The set on are Schaller Grand Tune, and have the pressed in grommet. I am sure I can just put a wooden dowel in the other side and tap it, but I do not want any wood from the head stock to chip off. So is it that easy. I went to start last night and Schaller are sneaky and the grommet is hex on top not round so, I thought they were screw in until the tuner just came out and the grommet stayed in place. I've installed the ones with the press in grommet after I have removed the screw in grommet tuners.

I guess this should be the repair section. Mods can move it to there if need be.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

30 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I want to change tuners on my guitar. They are gold and I am not a fan of gold. I've changed and installed tuners before, but they have always been the kind where the grommet thread into the tuning machine. The set on are Schaller Grand Tune, and have the pressed in grommet. I am sure I can just put a wooden dowel in the other side and tap it, but I do not want any wood from the head stock to chip off. So is it that easy. I went to start last night and Schaller are sneaky and the grommet is hex on top not round so, I thought they were screw in until the tuner just came out and the grommet stayed in place. I've installed the ones with the press in grommet after I have removed the screw in grommet tuners.

I guess this should be the repair section. Mods can move it to there if need be.

There is a video on Stewmac about how to remove pressed-in grommets without damaging the face of the headstock. It can be tricky. 

The have links to a whole bunch of in-house repair/maintenance videos.

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah its on my D-41. I think I will just keep it stock. I'll cry like a baby if wood chips come off the headstock.

I don't know, I agree with you on the gold, so although I wouldn't do it myself,  I'd be more than happy to pay someone in the know to do it, so chipping does not happen.

6 minutes ago, Twang Gang said:

Don't downgrade an expensive fancy guitar by removing the gold tuners.  Depending on how thick the plating is, the gold will wear away with time anyway.

I still hate gold. Had gold on my BB and it was everywhere, pup covers, tuners, switch, and the jacks. I know it is supposed to look expensive, but when it tarnished it looks like garbage.

11 minutes ago, jvi said:

this model cost more than a 28 because of the gold and inlay  ...dont change

Yeah that could be but I owed a 28 and I would compare it to a Rocket Ship vs a Spitfire. There is a reason I sold my 28, 18, and 35 to get it. And none of those guitars were dogs. It's just that good. Made some cash too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, Larry W said:

I have gold on my Gibsons, Taylors and Martins.  I love them all except for the buttons on the Grover Imperials.   I think they look goofy.  

I would like some pearl buttons to replace those.    I need to find some that fit.

These are Schaller Grand Tune's. If I could just change the buttons to black I would, but it looks like the button and shaft are together and there is no screw on the button for removal. I'm gonna just leave em on. There nice tuners, just gold.

Just watched a YT video and the guy took those tulip  shaped ones on Kluson's off with a claw hammer. Nope.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

10 hours ago, Larry W said:

I have gold on my Gibsons, Taylors and Martins.  I love them all except for the buttons on the Grover Imperials.   I think they look goofy.  I would like some pearl buttons to replace those.    I need to find some that fit.

Search for “Hipshot buttons” on eBay.  Hipshot sells a wide variety of buttons for their tuners, and they typically will fit both standard & mini Grovers.