Gibson Brands Forums

New original song - Roads Not Traveled

Lars68

Just did a recording of a new song. Unlike my other recordings, this is one-take, into a single mic. Usually I record vocals seperately from guitar, editing many attempts into one.

The guitar is a Martin D-28.

Roads Not Traveled

My initial title for the song was "What If?", that and given the final title should give a pretty good idea of what the song is about.

Lars

5 hours ago, billroy fineman said:

I'll echo PB, you're sounding good Lars!

Thanks! Still a ways to go, but for this being a one-take effort, I think it holds up okey. I've written about twenty songs now since I started five years ago, and it seems like I'm beginning to hear a common ”style” among them. I'm looking forward to continuing to carve out my own humble corner of the large music world.

Lars

Edited by Lars68

8 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

I’m sorry I missed this Lars! It’s great. The song  works, and Boy have you improved your singing, really great job.  and of course, your recording technique is really something else. I’d live to know your setup... especially as it is one mic boom bam.

Thanks a bunch, Sal! 
Here is where I record. The two red angled panels behind the little leather tripod seat are left-over from a renovation at our office at work. They are made to keep noice and chatter down in an office landscape. They really help clean up the sound. Apart from that, nothing special. This particular song was done with the mic, as in the pictures, halfway between mouth and guitar. 

7F57701E-74DA-4345-A00A-01D988F891EB

28F3F67E-1C4A-49CF-8F41-1CB11B4F554F

Lars

Nice, Lars! Yes, your vocals have improved incredibly.  (Well, it’s not incredible, really; you’re proving that hearing, then singing, tone intervals are brain muscles that can be built up.) 

And, it seems to me that your songwriting is getting more focused and efficient, which also shows that working on a thing has its rewards.

Impressive all around—kudos to you!

I think the overall feel is really good. I can't really evaluate the song without seeing the lyric. Your guitar sounds great, the recorded sound is terrific and you have improved your voice dramatically, for sure! I'm impressed, keep at it! I like "regrets, regrets" in the chorus.

8 hours ago, livemusic said:

I think the overall feel is really good. I can't really evaluate the song without seeing the lyric. Your guitar sounds great, the recorded sound is terrific and you have improved your voice dramatically, for sure! I'm impressed, keep at it! I like "regrets, regrets" in the chorus.

Thanks for listening and the kind words! The lyrics are below.

Lars

ROADS NOT TRAVELED

Verse 1

I’ve been up and down these same streets for years 

they hold  laughter and memories of tears

from a shop window a reflection stares back at me

It laughs and says ”this town it's all you'll ever see”

Chorus 1

regrets, regrets for roads not traveled

regrets, regrets for turns not taken

and chances forsaken

Verse 2

could I have traveled the world with guitar in hand?

from town to town in a one man band

but broken dreams pave the street beneath my feet

beside ambitions fallen faded in defeat

Chorus 2

same as chorus 1

Verse 3

I keep telling myself ”he's just a liar and a thief

who's robbing my spirit, offering no relief”

then 'round the corner our kids come running my way

and all my poisoned thoughts soon fall away

Chorus 3

regrets, regrets are dead end streets