Gibson Brands Forums

Blue Bayou

MorrisrownSal

8 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

Hey all... I gave the Linda Ronstatdt song a try with my J45-Studio. It records pretty well. Goes well with vocals in my opinion. Hope you like it!

Sal,

Nice !!!

It sounds softer than a regular J 45.

I love the contained sound . 

How’s the custom D 18 doing?

JC

No pickup Nick....

Two Mics though as you can see. One condenser picks up mostly vocals, with a little guitar bleed, and the Shure is picking up the guitar.  It's a much quieter mic, so more gain is needed on it than the condenser, which is powered. I started using this Focusrite scarlet. So I can blend the two mics  in any DAW (I am using Garageband).

The mandolin is a fairly inexpensive one - an Eastman 304 or 305. I can't remember which. My son has one and I have the other (f holes vs oval center hole).

And thanks!

Nice job, Sal!   To me that will always be Roy Orbison's song, re: words & music … Orbison & Melson.     Ever listen to his recording of it for additional inspiration?    Keep up the good work as that earns a well done for you!

On 2/1/2020 at 10:51 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I have no idea how people sing and play at the same time. When I try to sing out loud while playing I f-up and forget what I'm doing.

Well I guess Sals has been doing it for a year or two.   You can do it, it's down to practise.  Try singing to a simple rock n roll song like Buddy Holly song. 

First sing to the record without your guitar then add the guitar without your voice then all three. You have lift off!!!  Let me know how you get on.