Gibson Brands Forums

“My #1 Guitar: Gibson Sheryl Crow Southern J”

JuanCarlosVejar

Great post, Juan.  That's the best demo of a Sheryl Crow SJ I have seen.  I have a 2015 model that will hopefully be with me to the end.  I'm still grateful to 'thegreatgumbino' for posting a link to it when it was for sale up in Missoula at Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments.

Here is a link to the 2015 Gibson specs: https://web.archive.org/web/20150816030102/http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/Sheryl-Crow-Southern-Jumbo-Supreme.aspx

Edited by Bozz

9 hours ago, Bozz said:

Great post, Juan.  That's the best demo of a Sheryl Crow SJ I have seen.  I have a 2015 model that will hopefully be with me to the end.  I'm still grateful to 'thegreatgumbino' for posting a link to it when it was for sale up in Missoula at Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments.

Here is a link to the 2015 Gibson specs: https://web.archive.org/web/20150816030102/http://www.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/2016/Sheryl-Crow-Southern-Jumbo-Supreme.aspx

I'm glad you were able to grab it!  It's a killer guitar.  I miss mine.

Really nice, Lars.  The firestripe pickguard is a nice touch. 

In true Gibson fashion when mine was built they ignored the specs  and used the post war style logo and crown pearl headstock inlay instead of the gold script and banner like yours. 
6IKEryM.jpg?2

Edited by Bozz

1 hour ago, Bozz said:

In true Gibson fashion when mine was built they ignored the specs  and used the post war style logo and crown pearl headstock inlay instead of the gold script and banner like yours. 

That's beautiful, and that headstock and logo are just variations of perfection!

Lars

• Thanks 1

cWte4r_UhgqNZUrM1rlnOwx2tVQ9X1pJAXASAevh

6 hours ago, Bozz said:

6IKEryM.jpg?2

Very similar to mine, a 2015 SJ SC Supreme.

Fred

• Like 1

I first saw Ian Meadow's site when I bought my 2002 J50 recently....

For those that haven't done this - a good use of the site and maybe his intention, is a comparison of all the guitars he records. He plays exactly the same thing only on all the different guitars, so you can for example, play this 1955 Gibson J50 (in nice headphones preferably) and then play the other guitar(s) you are interested in to hear the difference(s).

So, first - the 1955 J50........Then compare that to something else he did, like the Southern Jumbo above and then perhaps the Eastman version of a slope shoulder. Don't listen to too many different guitars at once or your ears get fatigued.

I was posting the examples for you, but for some reason I kept getting a Martin dread posted, so anyway, look them up on his site: Ian Meadows. He has lots!!!

BluesKing777.

Edited by BluesKing777

On 2/5/2020 at 3:02 PM, Bozz said:

6IKEryM.jpg?2

Bozz, that Adi top is just spectacular! That is just a gorgeous guitar.

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 6:58 PM, J-1854Me said:

cWte4r_UhgqNZUrM1rlnOwx2tVQ9X1pJAXASAevh

Very similar to mine, a 2015 SJ SC Supreme.

Fred

Sure enough , Fred.  We have the same headstock inlays.  The 2015 run was 65 guitars.  I wonder how many of them  ended up with the pearl and crown logos?  No way to know, I suppose.   Not that it matters much anyway.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:02 PM, Bozz said:

6IKEryM.jpg?2

B,

That’s Gorgeous even with the MOP inlay.

I find it funny that Gibson still has quirks like that in the modern age.

How cool is it that you have a variation within a variation of the Southern Jumbo.

JC

• Like 1

On 2/5/2020 at 2:02 PM, Bozz said:

6IKEryM.jpg?2

Lars,

Always Killer!

I ordered a lefty of the new Country Western Supreme last year (still waiting for it)

JC

9 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

B,

That’s Gorgeous even with the MOP inlay.

I find it funny that Gibson still has quirks like that in the modern age.

How cool is it that you have a variation within a variation of the Southern Jumbo.

JC

Thanks, JC. 

I enjoy Gibson's quirks.  It makes them seem genuine and a little more hands on.  And perhaps less corporate than other brands building automated clones that come off assembly lines by the tens of thousands.

14 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

I ordered a lefty of the new Country Western Supreme last year (still waiting for it)

JC

Awesome.  My last trip to Fuller's, the SCCWS was the best Gibson in the shop.  Beat out several J200's, J45's (including a vintage) and a Hummingbird Vintage.  It is a fantastic sounding/playing instrument.

19 hours ago, JuanCarlosVejar said:

JC

That should be a great guitar, JC.  Good luck with the patiently waiting thing...