Gibson Brands Forums

335 is better than Les Paul

Mr. Robot

I figured, if we are gonna have a blue, at least lets have it over a guitar rather than politics. Apologies to all my beloved Gibson friends for the Obama entry last week.:-

Now... i reckon the 335 is a better guitar because:

-it is more versatile

-it can be used for jazz, blues, rock

-it has better sustain

-it isnt as bloody heavy

-it has a better tone

-it has a nicer neck

-it is more of a classic...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I figured' date=' if we are gonna have a blue, at least lets have it over a guitar rather than politics. Apologies to all my beloved Gibson friends for the Obama entry last week.:-

Now... i reckon the 335 is a better guitar because:

-it is more versatile

-it can be used for jazz, blues, rock

-it has better sustain

-it isnt as bloody heavy

-it has a better tone

-it has a nicer neck

[/quote']

Which LP?

I should have known that this would get more personal](*' date=') [/quote']

It's only personal if you really are a retard. I know your not, hence your ability to communicate a thought on the forum and thus one can only conclude I was just being sarcastic. That and the emodicon :- .

It's only personal if you really are a retard. I know your not' date=' hence your ability to communicate a thought on the forum and thus one can only conclude I was just being sarcastic. That and the emodicon :- . [/quote']

I was only joking too Homz

Wow, I'm just in time!

:-)

I would have to agree with Robot.

335 will do 80% of the hard rock a Les Paul will do, unless you're playing metal.

MUCH more versatile.

Unless I want the wall-of-guitar roar of a Les Paul thru my Marshall, I would have to say I prefer the tone of my 335 thru my Hot Rod DeVille. I have a 2002 Cherry Dot reissue with 57 Classics.

Beautiful.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought my 335 15 years sooner.

Wow, I'm just in time!

I would have to agree with Robot.

335 will do 80% of the hard rock a Les Paul will do, unless you're playing metal.

MUCH more versatile.

Unless I want the wall-of-guitar roar of a Les Paul thru my Marshall, I would have to say I prefer the tone of my 335 thru my Hot Rod DeVille. I have a 2002 Cherry Dot reissue with 57 Classics.

Beautiful.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have bought my 335 15 years sooner.[/quot

I agree 100%

I traded my only LP a few months back for a 335 and have never looked back.

That 335 is by far the best guitar I have played.

The LP I traded was a Trans-amber Standard, beautiful guitar but its just not what I wanted.

Gotta go with Robot & Neo on this one

I traded my only LP a few months back for a 335 and have never looked back.

That 335 is by far the best guitar I have played.

The LP I traded was a Trans-amber Standard, beautiful guitar but its just not what I wanted.

you guys are retards:-" ....a LP is actually MORE versatile because it can handle any style of music a 335 can PLUS metal. And while the 335 has better fret access, it does have that giant, stupid body- so i guess that's a tradeoff.

LP fellas

-it is more versatile

-it can be used for jazz' date=' blues, rock

-it has better sustain

-it isnt as bloody heavy

-it has a better tone

-it has a nicer neck

[/quote']

Interesting hypothesis ("vt...a proposition assumed for the sake of argument...");

In what way, exactly, more versatile? See point 2.

As can a Les Paul - ask Les Paul.

None I've tried has ever had as much sustain as my LP. If that's what you meant by better.......

...and the Les Paul has (arguably) the better tone as a consequence.

Not in my opinion.

None I've ever tried has had as nice a neck as my '60 RI LP.

It is almost as much of a classic, but not quite.....

The 335 family is a beautiful range of instruments and I'm certainly not about to question anyone's preference in this matter.

If I were of a build similar to BB King I'm sure it would be high on my 'Wanted' list. Not being quite so (how to put this with a modicum af tact?) generously proportioned myself, however, I find it to be too uncomfortable in use.

Luckily for me Gibson continues to make the Les Paul.....O:)

I think they're both great guitars. The LP may in some ways be theoretically less versatile than the 335, but it's very good at making the music that many people want to play. There are a few copies of the 335 being made, but a ton of copies of the LP.

Its all personal taste I think..

I reckon the LP wins hands down. A LP will play anything..

Flight959

I agree its all a personal preferance. I can get beautiful warm tones to Heavy crunch on my LP . I never have to switch guitars. LP's a winner by far in my book

My Epiphone dot ,belive it or not ,has better tone than my Gibson les paul.It has more sustain .It loses to the les paul in upper fret access and playability.I suppose if I had an actual Gibson 335 it would be better in the playability area

Oh,and the epi dot is modified a bit.pickups have been replaced .And,the epi goes out of tune very frequently

I never in my life thought I'd say this - I mean I've had my Les Paul for 30 years now, but the ES-335 is more versital IMHO.

What has not been mentioned is country music - I used to play it in bar bands with a Les Paul and it just never made the grade because a LP is not suited for country. A 335 on the other hand sounds a little nicer on those country licks. Again this is just my opinion and it really does come down to preference.

If I could only have 1 guitar it would be an ES-335

Okay, NO FAIR!

Throwing P-90's into any tone argument is unfair!

I love P-90's myself....

Anyway, here's where I can puncture the Les Paul myth.

How many of you LP guys have actually PLAYED a 335?

I mean really played one through a good tube amp and explored it?

I've made plenty of converts in the 7 years I've owned mine.

LP or Strat, nothing else matters, 335 is an old man's guitar, etc....

Lotsa people have played mine and the smile just got bigger and bigger.

I've bought and sold at least a half dozen Les Pauls over the years, several of my friends own them as well.

I could sell the two I have today and do just fine on my 335.

Well, I admit I would get the hankering for an LP again, but I'll NEVER sell my 335.

You guys need to find somebody who owns one and REALLY PLAY IT instead of just d!cking with one at Guitar Center.

Archived