Gibson Brands Forums
indiekiduk

2020 Epiphone Les Paul Standard 60s - Iced Tea

Received this amazing guitar today, it plays so great, love the new (old) headstock shape. Great action, no buzzing and intonation seems fine. I'm familiar with the slim taper neck from the 50th Anniversary 1962 Sheraton, which funnily enough has the same Kalamazoo headstock, which is why I went for the 60s over the 50s. Plus I already have a Korean Les Paul Custom which has a fatter neck which I find less enjoyable to play.

Sadly there are a few finish issues so I'm pondering about returning it. Here they are, in the order I noticed them:

1. Dirty marks embedded in the binding on left side of first and second frets.
  2. Nut is offset very slightly to the right and not smooth with the neck.
  3. Possible fracture deep in the finish at the nut.
  4. Tiny curve cut out of the neck pickup surround.
  5. Trust rod cover screws are in at angle, the same angle, quite far off straight.
  6. Not sure if it is dirty strings or the laurel wood but my fingers get extremely dirty which playing, most likely strings just need a good clean.

Would anyone else return it because of these issues or am I being too picky? I used a coupon to get a great price which I may forfeit if I returned it, and if I exchange I always the chance of getting one in a worse state.

nJHz9qv.jpg

zTTzywf.jpg

MxUsTvX.jpg

VqOSruo.jpg

I'd say that most of those issues are cosmetic and it's down to you how much to tolerate them. On the dirty fingers it's definitely the strings. Change them and the problem will go away.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, FemmeParallell said:

Are you getting another one?

im glad you were able to return it without any hassle

no, might try the ltd edition 59 Les Paul when it comes out, that gets QC checked in USA so might help catch the finish issues 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, indiekiduk said:

no, might try the ltd edition 59 Les Paul when it comes out, that gets QC checked in USA so might help catch the finish issues 

Didnt know that! thanks for the tip

its a bummer, i also wanted to get a 60s standard but i've read a lot of reviews now about cosmetic flaws and the frets not being correct, so i dont wanna order online

All the Epiphones's have a sticker on the back of the neck.  Inspected in the USA

Are you saying that  the Epiphone 59 Les Paul will be QC checked by Gibson QC instead of Epiphone QC?

Please correct me if I am wrong.

• Like 1