Gibson Brands Forums

Certificate Of Authenticity

H725

I bought a Gibson Les Paul Custom "Black Beauty" 1957 Anniversary in Italy back in 1998. I would like to bring my guitar in Canada. At a music shop in Canada, I was told that I might be asked for the COA when I go through the Canada Customs. I lost my COA. What is the procedure to get a new one, please? 

Gibson will not issue replacement COAs.   I don't know for sure but I would doubt that you'd have to have one in this circumstance.  Most guitars don't have COA's at all and I doubt that most Customs agents would know which guitars should have one and which shouldn't.  But maybe I'm wrong.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Black Dog said:

Gibson will not issue replacement COAs.   I don't know for sure but I would doubt that you'd have to have one in this circumstance.  Most guitars don't have COA's at all and I doubt that most Customs agents would know which guitars should have one and which shouldn't.  But maybe I'm wrong.

Agreed.  I would bet they don't do this easily IF they even do.  I could easily buy some Chibson, request some COA, voila!  I could only see you getting a replacement if you sent the guitar in to them directly to ask for a reissue of a COA. 

But OP, it is really simple to call them.  Maybe time zones could be an issue, but how much does it mean to you to have this I suppose...  And I don't think that customs will fully validate the COA as OK to have enter the country if found to be some source of credible threat.  It's not like a passport or certified ID.  Hope you don't have any issues traveling with the guitar though.  Best of luck. 

Is taking a guitar across the US-Can border like smuggling drugs? 

Step out of the car and put your hands behind your back. Your going away for a long time for not having a  COA while entering the US or Canada.

Never got a COA with a Fender or Martin or Ric or  Guild or the Warmoths I've made out of there necks and bodies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is taking a guitar across the US-Can border like smuggling drugs? 

Step out of the car and put your hands behind your back.

Ah ah ah! It was weird when they told me. But you know, it's a quite expensive guitar. So I am doing my best not to get stuck at the airport or having any issues anyway. 

Have a great day!

• 11 months later...

Gibson needs to wake up, lighten up, and make replacement COA's available - at a cost, for sure, but for crying-out-loud, what's the harm in providing a replacement COA for someone who paid an exorbitant amount of money for a Les Paul and can't find the original COA?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If you don't have the receipt for the guitar and did not register it how is Gibson gonna know your the original owner of the guitar. Just cause you say and want one. Not all Gibsons come with them anyway. Be glad you are still getting cases and got gig bags with everything now.

• 1 year later...

I have a 1992 Gibson sj 200 that does not have a COA. I spoke with Gibson and while they will not reissue a COA,  if I send the guitar to them for inspection they will

issue a letter of authenticity stating that  they have examined the guitar and it as a genuine Gibson. The cost is $250.00 and it takes about two weeks

They also will recommend any repairs that they deem necessary They sent me a free UPS ticket with instructions of how to safely ship my guitar

• Like 1

I have to ask the obvious.  What if they take your 250 in addition to what the seller took from you and tell you it isn't a 92 it's a 2014, or worse, it isn't a Gibson?

I am seriously asking.

rct

I didn't get a COA with my car, house, stereo, most of my guitars (only one came with a COA), my wife, ect. Many of those purchases were a lot more than any guitar I bought. 

Does it make the guitar sound better, or if you sell i,t will it tack on a few extra hundred cause you have the COA?

5 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

@MFeldu waste of $250 if you ask me.

Nobody asks hey where's that certificate letter, .

But then again people are paying close to double for a Murphy aged  guitar when they can scratch dent ding a guitar for free.

So shows you what I know 

Yeah but it wasn't done by the legend Tom Murphy. That is the funniest tread in guitars, and the ones that do it are laughing all the way to the bank when one is sold. 

Just because some guy threw a bag of pennies at your guitar, and took an ice pick to it, and a belt sander does not make it sound better. It was once just an un relic'ed guitar. Your guitar looks old and you paid thousands EXTRA for it. Just think about that for a second or two. You have new guitar that looks old and its thousand more than it should be. Wish I had money to burn.

5 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah but it wasn't done by the legend Tom Murphy. That is the funniest tread in guitars, and the ones that do it are laughing all the way to the bank when one is sold. 

Just because some guy threw a bag of pennies at your guitar, and took an ice pick to it, and a belt sander does not make it sound better. It was once just an un relic'ed guitar. Your guitar looks old and you paid thousands EXTRA for it. Just think about that for a second or two. You have new guitar that looks old and its thousand more than it should be. Wish I had money to burn.

Its funny that the old guitars out there are priced according to how old they are (vintage) and their condition. Broadly speaking, the less old they look the more you'll pay. Whereas the reliced stuff works the other way around. 

Guitar sellers sell the oldest guitars in the most unbelievably fantastic condition like they were handed down by God himself, and they sell absolutely brand new still in the box guitars that are in terrible condition like they are the real deal handed down by God himself.

But there's nothing sketchy going on here.  lolz

rct

16 hours ago, Eracer_Team said:

@kidblast KidB he said he didn't get one but wants one

I think the COAs (could be wrong) are only for custom shop and other special runs.  Standard issue modles  AFAIK do not come with anything but a Warranty card and some sort of final inspection check list.

I've bought enough new gibsons to know,,  none of my guitars have ever come with a COA.

My custom shop strat  yes, it did..  my other standard run Fenders no.

so I think he's kind of p1$$in up a tree.

Edited by kidblast
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, kidblast said:

I think the COAs (could be wrong) are only for custom shop and other special runs.  Standard issue modles  AFAIK do not come with anything but a Warranty card and some sort of final inspection check list.

I've bought enough new gibsons to know,,  none of my guitars have ever come with a COA.

My custom shop strat  yes, it did..  my other standard run Fenders no.

so I think he's kind of p1$$in up a tree.

I just checked to see and sure enough my lowly ES-339 Studio came with a COA (Memphis build).