Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer Tribute 2019 neck crack.

TheViking132

Hi there, i just bought my first ever Gibson guitar and this is what i'm greeted by, is this normal or should i return it? I don't really care if there's dings or anything but i just want to know that it's structurally sound and that the headstock isn't gonna snap off. 

explorer.jpg

Edited by TheViking132
  • Sad 1

It's broken. Return it ASAP.  It must have been dropped in shipment. 

No that is not normal.  The tension on the strings are holding the headstock in place. It doesn't look cracked through but its trash.

That is a huge bummer.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's broken. Return it ASAP.  It must have been dropped in shipment. 

No that is not normal.  The tension on the strings are holding the headstock in place. It doesn't look cracked through but its trash.

That is a huge bummer.

Alright i will do, thank you for helping me out i greatly appreciate it, and i also noticed it had some dings in the lower bout.

That's a great start for me as a Gibson owner xD hahah 

Edited by TheViking132

1 hour ago, TheViking132 said:

Alright i will do, thank you for helping me out i greatly appreciate it, and i also noticed it had some dings in the lower bout.

That's a great start for me as a Gibson owner xD hahah 

Where did it come from The US or was it already in Europe and it came form a store over there. I owned an Explorer they are great guitars. Is it brand new or used?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

8 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Where did it come from The US or was it already in Europe and it came form a store over there. I owned an Explorer they are great guitars. Is it brand new or used?

It came from Thomann in Germany, and brand new, hoping i can get a replacement. I'm guessing some idiot at UPS slipped and dropped it somewhere in Denmark or something. 

I gotta say the packaging was trash from Gibson, no packing peanuts, like 2 small sheets of bubblewrap and a headstock holder thingymajig, no support on the sides no nothing. 

The Thomann box was even worse, nothing but air. 

Edited by TheViking132

9 minutes ago, TheViking132 said:

It came from Thomann in Germany, and brand new, hoping i can get a replacement. I'm guessing some idiot at UPS slipped and dropped it somewhere in Denmark or something. 

I gotta say the packaging was trash, no packing peanuts, like 2 small sheets of bubblewrap and a headstock holder thingymajig, no support on the sides no nothing. 

That is unacceptable. I guess it got dropped or the strings were not slacked before shipping. I had a ES-335 I bought came with the neck cracked. It was brand new and went back the next day. You had better be able to get a replacement. I live in the USA and even I have heard of that store. I thought the Germans were all about efficiency? Or it was cracked before it went out and no one QA'ed it. But that is unlikely.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I guess it got dropped or the strings were not slacked before shipping. I had a ES-335 I bought came with the neck cracked. It was brand new and went back the next day. You had better be able to get a replacement. I live in the USA and even I have heard of that store.

Yeah, strings were slacked, they better give me a replacement, i'm not in the mood of wasting $900.

And if they don't have any replacements, i guess i'll go to the local guitar store. 

I also noticed now, that there is a big bump where the finish meets the fretboard, i guess i just got a bad lemon or dud as its called. 

Edited by TheViking132

3 minutes ago, TheViking132 said:

I really hope i can get a replacement for it, because i loooove the Dirty Fingers so much, it paired up with my JCM800 sounds like Ride the Lightning all over again. 

Explores are rock machines. They are balanced like no other guitar. Saw Metallica twice live once in Hawaii and once in Seattle.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Explores are rock machines. They are balanced like no other guitar. Saw Metallica twice live. 

Yep, i love explorers, i just knew Explorers was my thing, such a simple yet a very very effective design, i wanted the 1984 Epi explorer before but saved up, it was worth it besides the neck crack.

If UPS gives you any grief about the box, here's what happens to guitars with that kind of damage:

The guitar falls from a conveyor belt and does a belly flop, the shock from the impact causes the neck to crack at the weakest point.  The only thing holding that guitar together is the string tension, if you take the strings off that crack will propagate.

The box does not have to show any damage as a belly flop will do it.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

If UPS gives you any grief about the box, here's what happens to guitars with that kind of damage:

The guitar falls from a conveyor belt and does a belly flop, the shock from the impact causes the neck to crack at the weakest point.  The only thing holding that guitar together is the string tension, if you take the strings off that crack will propagate.

The box does not have to show any damage as a belly flop will do it.

Yeah i'd imagine something like that would of happened. The box has got some ****ed up corners and dents and so on. 

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TheViking132 said:

Yep 😄

Sweet! 

Explorers are great guitars. 

Just wish they'd offer a 1984 standard every year.  I do not want a pickguard on an Explorer. It's a deal breaker. 

Even people who hate metal think Hetfield when they hear "Gibson Explorer".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pinch said:

Sweet! 

Explorers are great guitars. 

Just wish they'd offer a 1984 standard every year.  I do not want a pickguard on an Explorer. It's a deal breaker. 

Even people who hate metal think Hetfield when they hear "Gibson Explorer".

Yeah, if they'd sold the 84 - 85 explorer i would of got that, i love the Explorer, Just wish Gibson didn't route out underneath the pickguard. 

Although i'm happy since this kinda resembles the 84 explorer and it has Dirty Fingers 😄

And it's in one of my favorite color schemes, black on black baby, white with black hardware would of been cool aswell.