Gibson Brands Forums

Price?

ponty

Having not bought a brand new guitar for years.....21 years,

I am curious to know if manufacturers and retailers still use MSRP, MAP and store best price?

The new 'original' series from Gibson is killing me - I have never seen so many guitars I want in one go!

When I enquired by email to one major Gibson dealer, I was given the MSRP as the asking price.

is this standard? 

I'd like an answer to that one as well. In some cases  the prices shown for these on the online dealer websites were actually higher than the list prices on the Gibson website, which made me grumpy.

Like you, those models called out like nothing I've seen from Gibson   in a long time. "I want", and not just "one"!

I would think that with any 'big ticket' item, guitar, car, sofa you'll get the MSRP in a cold call inquiry.  If you're standing at the counter with cash in hand, and the seller thinks you might walk away if they don't cut a deal , you stand a chance.   Also, you may be talking to an employee with no power to make price changes. 

I see large store dealers like Sweetwater sometimes list a price crossed out in red as if there was a deal afoot.  With a higher end new instrument I guess I'd just be all in, so to speak, and expect great service and a shiny perfect guitar out of the box.

Not sure where you are located. But up here the  U.S MSRP is usually are CDN selling price up here. And our warranty is only a year.  Not like the U.S where if bought new and owned by the original owner its a life time 

Depends on the seller what price you might be able to negotiate.  The manufacturers want all retailers to advertise the same price, but that doesn't mean you will have to pay it.  High volume stores and on-line retailers usually have more wiggle room.  All you can do is ask for a discount, and at places like Guitar Center, Sam Ash, and on-line Sweetwater you will always get something off the MSRP.  Since you are in Bermuda I would recommend Sweetwater.  They have great photos and descriptions of each actual guitar on their website, you are assigned a sales associate when you call who will stick with your for years, they have great customer service, check each guitar over carefully and package it well for shipping.  And if anything is wrong a no hassle return policy.

2 hours ago, slimt said:

Not sure where you are located. But up here the  U.S MSRP is usually are CDN selling price up here. And our warranty is only a year.  Not like the U.S where if bought new and owned by the original owner its a life time 

So If someone buys a Gibson in Windsor, Canada, just 3 miles or 4 of your kilometers from Detroit, MI, the warranty goes from lifetime to one year. That is shady.

This is just a somewhat off-topic note to Gibson more than anything, though it does aid in underscoring the somewhat confusing times a guitar purchaser has these days. The OP's topic of Price being a big part of that.

So, I'm a Gibson customer. I've bought 2 nice acoustics and an LP within the past 5 years. I have 2 non-Gibsons within the past 5 years, too. A Dove and a 335 will be mine before it's all over, and my all-purpose take anywhere $1k(ish) solid-wood guitar might end up being a Gibson, too. I'm a member of this forum, and I subscribe to whatever newsletter is on the site. I did not know about an "Original" collection until this thread.  I looked back at my Gibson emails. Not a mention. I clicked on a couple of the links, including the NAMM recap and related materials. Not one word. On to the links at the top of the forum page.

The "Originals" page lists 11 guitars, but nothing at all about what the concept of the Original line-up is. Each description I looked at has a little blurb about the guitar itself - yay for new Doves!!! - but nothing telling me anything about the originals concept except for deducing that the guitar has been around a while and represents long tradition and Bob's your uncle. cool! I figured it out. So let's see what's on the Modern collection. J-45 standard is the 4th guitar listed. I am missing something, which should never be a surprise. It's not a habit for me. It's an MO. It's what I do. I miss things, and I admit that.

So a good 30 minutes of looking and I see nothing. I did not google "what is the original collection by Gibson?". Perhaps my first mistake. doesn't matter, really, because something like this and pricing should be very clear. I know something about guitars and it is not clear. Imagine the masses who are not into this as an obsession? Who could blame a non-enthusiast for going with brand-x. 

In other words, to Gibson, please don't make it hard to be a Gibson customer. It's challenging enough to come up with the scratch to join the club to begin with. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Agree. The warranty should only be a year in Detroit too. 

I guess Gibson believes and stands by their product. Only if its in the USA though. I guess once it crosses a boarder the guitar goes through some strange twilight zone transformation? Sad

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

If I buy a Gibson in the U.S.A from a Gibson Dealer.. its a lifetime warranty as long as Im the sole owner..   which is good... but If I buy one from a Gibson dealer up here in Canada.. its a 1 year deal,, and Gibson U.S.A wash there hands of it..    

I prefer shopping south of the Border..  there is a wider selection of Guitars offered.

up here it seems they order in bulk..  just the main run stuff... anything special  is a wait till its built thing.. and the price is never guaranteed from the time of order. it can take from 6 months to over a year.. 

there are alot of Gibsons that never made it up here..  and the ones that did were mostly dogs.. 

Edited by slimt

What if you buy your guitar in the USA and bring it to Canada? I love Canada. Went on my honeymoon to Vancouver and have been back several times. Love Toronto too. Went to Montreal once. I really want to go to Quebec, but not in the winter. Ottawa too and Calgary and Edmonton.

This may sound crazy but the best calamari I ever had was in Vancouver and the best dumpling were in Chinatown in Toronto.  My wife loves ciders and they are everywhere in bars up there.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

25 minutes ago, Holiday Hoser said:

My wife loves cider as well. I think Dickin is her favorite brand. She like to warm it up. She always says there is nothing better than a hot Dickin cider and I couldn't agree more!

Your pulling my leg right.  Dickin Cider. Man the inappropriate jokes one can make.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

41 minutes ago, Holiday Hoser said:

My wife loves cider as well. I think Dickin is her favorite brand. She like to warm it up. She always says there is nothing better than a hot Dickin cider and I couldn't agree more!

Wow,  You really had to stretch for that one.   I guess you have to say it real fast.  Must be a California thing. 

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wow,  You really had to stretch for that one.

Yeah, it must be a big stretch for him to get his Dickin Cider. 

And also...  If someone needs healthcare: it's free in Windsor, Canada.  But just 3 miles or 4 of your kilometers in Detroit, MI, private insurance costs as much as a few new Gibsons every year.  So, don't feel too bad about that warranty.  🙂

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Boyd said:

Yeah, it must be a big stretch for him to get his Dickin Cider. 

And also...  If someone needs healthcare: it's free in Windsor, Canada.  But just 3 miles or 4 of your kilometers from Detroit, MI, private insurance will cost them as much as a few new Gibsons every year.  So, don't feel too bad about that warranty.  🙂

Your right about that.  That is why I sucked it up and did 20 in the military. Health care costs me $50 a month.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, PatriotsBiker said:

This is just a somewhat off-topic note to Gibson more than anything, though it does aid in underscoring the somewhat confusing times a guitar purchaser has these days.

I agree - and Gibson's website has always been horrible. I hadn't paid any attention to these new models, but just had a look. What a poor presentation on their site, with only tiny little pictures that can't be zoomed (unless I missed something). Also, what are "Grover Strap with Cream Buttons"? I assume that's a typo and should be "Grover Strip" tuners. The Sweetwater website is a better presentation at least.

But - wow - I really like that 60's J-50 with the adjustable bridge,  narrow neck and no electronics. I always thought a Gibson that was a cross between my 1965 and 2008 J-50 would be a terrific guitar, but gave up on ever seeing such a thing. Damn, and I thought my GAS had been cured! 😁

Edited by Boyd

“Agree. The warranty should only be a year in Detroit too. 

Fortyyearspickin, as a resident of southeast Michigan and a frequent visitor to Detroit, I’m curious as to your rationale for this comment.

rb

Edited by rbpicker