Gibson Brands Forums

roller nut on an Explorer?

CJ the DJ

My #1 guitar is a Tokai Explorer that I've had since I was about 15 - it has been the subject of many alterations over the years (!). I'm currently contemplating the idea of replacing the nut with a LSR roller nut in order to improve tuning (this thing has a Kahler vibrato bridge and Sperzel locking tuners and I hate locking tuners) but am struggling to find any references to roller nuts being installed on Gibson guitars.

Anybody have any experience doing this (and, yes, of course I realize my Tokai isn't a Gibson but I'm running under the assumption that, for all intents and purposes, the specs are the same)?

Thanks!

It made the Strat sound awful. It's just basically a metal nut.  I think the Jeff Beck Strats have them. I could see the advantage on a guitar that whammy's like a Strat, and you have a whammy on yours as well. I know it is to reduce string breakage and friction when dive bombing. I actually took the neck off a sold it and got a Warmoth one, cause they are cheaper and I think higher quality without the Fender sticker on it.