Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Just finished up a 19-page opinion letter on the validity of a couple's purported marriage.  They were actually divorced in 2011 in a Middle Eastern country, but then moved to the States and thereafter each party pretended they were still married, for reasons which remain unclear.  Bought property as "husband and wife," filed taxes jointly, etc.  Huge mess.

Generated a lovely fee by their stupidity though.

47 minutes ago, Brian Krashpad said:

Just finished up a 19-page opinion letter on the validity of a couple's purported marriage.  They were actually divorced in 2011 in a Middle Eastern country, but then moved to the States and thereafter each party pretended they were still married, for reasons which remain unclear.  Bought property as "husband and wife," filed taxes jointly, etc.  Huge mess.

United States must be a good place to go to have a phony marriage.  I know a few guys who got tripped up by that kind of thing.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

United States must be a good place to go to have a phony marriage.  I know a few guys who got tripped up by that kind of thing.

Actually, in this particular case, under my current understanding of the facts, they're not married.  Florida does not recognize common law marriages, and only under rare situations, where one of the "spouses" is an innocent victim of the other, and undertakes in good faith a ceremonial marriage, will a purported spouse be estopped to deny that he's married.  Here, both parties participated in misrepresenting themselves as married, and sfaik both knew about the foreign divorce and both may've even been in cahoots in obtaining in it, possibly fraudulently.

The purported "wife" here has had nine years to challenge the foreign divorce, and hasn't lifted a finger.  Now when it's convenient for her to do so, she suddenly decides to challenge it.  In the language of equity jurisprudence, she has "unclean hands."

Just now, Brian Krashpad said:

Actually, in this particular case, under my current understanding of the facts, they're not married.  Florida does not recognize common law marriages, and only under rare situations, where one of the "spouses" is an innocent victim of the other, and undertakes in good faith a ceremonial marriage, will a purported spouse be estopped to deny that he's married.  Here, both parties participated in misrepresenting themselves as married, and sfaik both knew about the foreign divorce and both may've even been in cahoots in obtaining in it, possibly fraudulently.

The purported "wife" here has had nine years to challenge the foreign divorce, and hasn't lifted a finger.  Now when it's convenient for her to do so, she suddenly decides to challenge it.  In the language of equity jurisprudence, she has "unclean hands."

How do they file their taxes and how many times have they filed that way?

rct

12 minutes ago, rct said:

How do they file their taxes and how many times have they filed that way?

rct

They've been filing jointly as married for years, up until 2018 or 2019.  Which of course is wrongful conduct and cannot form a basis for relief in a court of equity, and similarly the law will "leave them where it finds them."

I went out today as I had to go and do some stuff at my mums.. Financial stuff that cant really wait.. But I kept my distance...  While I was there and as it was actually nice out I did the lawn for the first time this year (been raining constantly for months)….

At least it was time outside  🙂

IQboSPQ.jpg

i9WMNwv.jpg

Then on the way home needed some foodstuffs... Went to the biggest supermarket and was greeted with this

nL0ulcr.jpg

Never seen that before... Mad, but at least the supermarket are finally doing something to avoid crowding inside.. I hope they are also limiting what people buy cos its just so ridiculous...  I then went straight to a smaller shop and there was no queue and about five people in the shop 😄  And the shelves were about 80% full... Got most the stuff I need.. Still no chicken though which is annoying as I am trying to decrease my intake of red meat and ONLY have read meat in the freezer as that's all I could find..

Fun fun fun,,,    NOT!! 

3 minutes ago, Rabs said:

I went out today as I had to go and do some stuff at my mums.. Financial stuff that cant really wait.. But I kept my distance...  While I was there and as it was actually nice out I did the lawn for the first time this year (been raining constantly for months)….

At least it was time outside  🙂

IQboSPQ.jpg

i9WMNwv.jpg

Then on the way home needed some foodstuffs... Went to the biggest supermarket and was greeted with this

nL0ulcr.jpg

Never seen that before... Mad, but at least the supermarket are finally doing something to avoid crowding inside.. I hope they are also limiting what people buy cos its just so ridiculous...  I then went straight to a smaller shop and there was no queue and about five people in the shop 😄  And the shelves were about 80% full... Got most the stuff I need.. Still no chicken though which is annoying as I am trying to decrease my intake of red meat and ONLY have read meat in the freezer as that's all I could find..

Fun fun fun,,,    NOT!! 

The green,green grass of home. Good job helping your mother,what a good son you are.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mr. Gibson said:

The green,green grass of home. Good job helping your mother,what a good son you are.

Cheers. But she deserves it...  My dad only passed about a year and a half ago, she still isn't really over that, they were married for like 52 years..  While I will take every precaution including limiting my own exposure as much as I can by staying in unless going out for food, theres no way we can totally leave her alone. And theres no way I am going to let her down. Both of my parents have been amazing throughout my life ALWAYS supporting me no matter what and only wanting the best for me to a point I could never repay them (not that they or any parent wants repaying).. This is the least I can do.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, B.T. said:

Good man Rabs. We need good news and that kind of inspiration right now! 
Thanks for sharing that! 

Its in times like this that we need to be more supportive than ever.. Its like a war time footing.

That old saying, We can each help change the world one person at a time.. Its the only way an individual can really. We are all it together. Being nice and thoughtful to each other cost nothing and means everything. It shouldn't really take something like this or a war to bring people together but it certainly highlights the issue..

Stay safe as you can everyone.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

Did one run for political office? 

• Haha 1

Had to go out again today..  

Did my mums weekly shop and got her pills... And got my mum to put the pills in the pill box herself so I didn't touch them at all..  And had to get some shopping for my sister too as she has health issues and her partner is a delivery driver so is still working.. When he has to drive for more than 8 hours he has to stop and rest before he can continue so sometimes is away overnight.

I did do one thing different today.. Every person who I dealt with at the shops, I thanked them for their service.. Especially the pharmacy, they were down to two shop staff and were dealing with most of the areas pills and requests.. Mad.... 

I think all of these people who have to go out every day and face hundreds of the public are amazing..  Putting themselves at risk and continuing to work.  Let alone the front line medical staff. I wouldn't want to be doing that job at any time, let alone now..

Stay safe everyone [thumbup]