Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

3 minutes ago, 'Scales said:

[laugh] no, you got it right Rabs. It's just the rest of the industry who got it wrong!

Yeah I almost carried on and just do it on 2, 4, 6 etc   Then I thought about how confusing that would be especially if I put the side markers in the normal position....  Maybe a practical joke guitar? 🙂

Unfortunately theres no fix for this one.. Just gonna be a wasted board.. I will use it for some other stuff like the frets that are wide enough could be used for a truss rod cover and I always need some sawdust for filling so it will get used eventually.

Edited by Rabs

12 hours ago, Rabs said:

I actually did some guitar work today.. Been so unmotivated recently but forced myself to at least do this...

My new lockdown workbench  🙂

gk3qMZN.jpg

Just needed to inlay these two fretboard for my new builds...

Been a while since I did this but I made THE stupidest mistake ever today, Not sure where my brain was??? I didn't even notice till I had finished.. See if you can spot it :I  Never done that in my whole career. Hey ho.. It happens.

IWA3C41.jpg

So I had to abandon that one (the one I am building for myself) until I get another fretboard.. GRRRRRR

Anyway. So on to the second one.

So what you do is place the inlay down and go around it with a sharp blade

GwPUHnO.jpg

Then you deepen the outline by going over it a few times

P6rOFWF.jpg

Once you have done that. You go around the edge with a (sharp) chisel, You kind of use just a corner. What happens is that the lines you have made give you a nice clean (ish, in my case 🙂 ) line.

pw9iyec.jpg

uRBqXaK.jpg

Then you simply take out the middle , make sure the edges are clean and square and repeat that process a few times. And hey presto

a05t5sl.jpg

Ok its not quite all the way in but these inlays are quite thick so its fine as it all has to be sanded down anyway.

NJYoRJt.jpg

Then do that another nine times and you are done.    Will hopefully finish them tomorrow and not screw up again.. It certainly keeps my mind off things doing stuff like this. 

Is that the way Gibson does it?

Just now, Sgt. Pepper said:

Are doing all your stuff in inches or centimeters?

I use Inches and mm depending on what I am measuring... Doesn't really matter its just about what I link in my head to which type of measurements.. So body and scale length I use inches.. For the fretboard usually mm...

Man.. I been doing so little its frikken doing my head in now.. Its not like I get to see my friends or anyone. The negative of living alone during a time like this..

Generally my week  is Sunday go to my mums and put her bins out and d her pills (well I get her to do it so I don't touch anything).. Nothing then till Thursday which is the weekly shop for me and I do my mums shopping too. And that's pretty much it.. So so boring. Been over a month now.

HOWEVER. Today I did get one piece of news.. I have a new confirmed custom build to do. And its an interesting one too 🙂   And I am allowed to work officially as I work alone anyway and so can totally keep my distance. Only problem being that parts are going to be that much harder to get since many places are just closed right now.

So that will be fun.. Looking forward to keeping my mind busy again.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Man.. I been doing so little its frikken doing my head in now.. Its not like I get to see my friends or anyone. The negative of living alone during a time like this..

Generally my week  is Sunday go to my mums and put her bins out and d her pills (well I get her to do it so I don't touch anything).. Nothing then till Thursday which is the weekly shop for me and I do my mums shopping too. And that's pretty much it.. So so boring. Been over a month now.

HOWEVER. Today I did get one piece of news.. I have a new confirmed custom build to do. And its an interesting one too 🙂   And I am allowed to work officially as I work alone anyway and so can totally keep my distance. Only problem being that parts are going to be that much harder to get since many places are just closed right now.

Good to hear (and hopefully see as it progresses) Rabs!

i am working from home and I think I'll keep doing so after this clears - mainly on computer and meetings via phone until the planes fly again. I drive to town each day and go for a 5km walk at lunch or after work at a park as exercise is encouraged. I have drinks with my father in law who lives next door for happy hour in the evening. Read or tv at night...and that's pretty much it on the week days . Mix of yard work and outdoor projects on the weekend, maybe go check on mum every week or two. Not too different to what I would do normally to be honest. 

Lockdown here isn't terribly strict - most places are still open, just doing things differently like takeaway food at cafes and restaurants, limits on  customers at a time in book, music and clothes shops, pharmacies etc. I guess it's kind of like Sweden but with strict social distancing - a middle of the road approach?

i miss having band rehearsals with the boys though - hopefully in a couple of weeks if the numbers stay good and restrictions ease. And I miss being able to jump in the car and go interstate to see mates and family...that may remain the case I while yet. The Football comps are looking to start up again (no crowds) in a month so that will be a nice dose of normaility even if I hardly ever watch it.

17 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cool,a custom build sounds very interesting,keep us in the loop. 

1 hour ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Cool,a custom build sounds very interesting,keep us in the loop. 

Yes.. I am very much looking forward to it... This guy is probably my biggest fan so far.. 

What happened was I decided ohh like September last year to put my stock guitars up for sale.. Some of them are like 6 odd years old now and have been my show guitars for years so I decided that I needed to get rid of them if I am to carry on doing this (if I am to carry on).. Anyway, this guy drove for five hours to come and try them and ended up buying three.. He almost bought five of them 🙂  

Now several months later he loves the ones he bought from me, especially this one (which was my third ever build)

3qVw80V.jpg

sgpcKSx.jpg

So he wants it roughly based on this guitar in body shape but it will be a bit bigger all round... So imagine that mixed with a Rickenbacker three pickup semi hollow 12 string and you will get a rough idea  🙂  

I have made a VERY basic mock up of sorta what we are looking to do but we are still discussing design... And the pickups will all be filtertron ish looking at least (they just didn't have that option in the designer)

fjUc0rX.jpg

Fun huh  😄 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rabs said:

Yes.. I am very much looking forward to it... This guy is probably my biggest fan so far.. 

...... he loves the ones he bought from me, especially this one (which was my third ever build)

sgpcKSx.jpg

So he wants it roughly based on this guitar in body shape but it will be a bit bigger all round... So imagine that mixed with a Rickenbacker three pickup semi hollow 12 string and you will get a rough idea  🙂  

Fun huh  😄 

I played that one I think!  Very snappy!

They were all good....I also remember the single cut with....:-k was it a P90/94 style at neck? 

But a 12-string....you must have to widen the board a bit? 

Today I got the hedge trimmer out and rrrrrrrr'd........avocado and bacon salad later.  Beer.

Best wishes

JohnM

Edited by jdgm

That was always my favourite visually Rabs, though there was one John played that sounded really good...It was a different one though.

if the guy has already bought 3 from you then you are doing something right!

good luck with the new one. [thumbup]

Yup... This is the very guitar....

I actually got an email from this guy about a week ago saying he was jamming and the other guitarist was playing a 60s Gibson Double Cut through some posh amp and he said (his words) "your Hammer guitar ate it for breakfast"   🙂  Very nice to hear that sort of thing.

And well you can make them at a normal 43mm nut neck width.. I have seen it done.. Usually a 12 string acoustic is more like 48mm. If it were my guitar I would make it as narrow as I could,  but the person I am making for says he would rather it be 48mm.. And so it will be  🙂   The issue at the moment is that a lot of shops are closed, so getting the hardware I want will be much harder than before the lockdown (like my choice of bridges and stuff will be limited).

6 hours ago, Rabs said:

I have made a VERY basic mock up of sorta what we are looking to do but we are still discussing design... And the pickups will all be filtertron ish looking at least (they just didn't have that option in the designer)

fjUc0rX.jpg

Fun huh  😄 

That's great Rabs! I'm happy to hear you sold 3 of your guitars and got a new order for a very cool design. Congratulations!

My new work-from-home, company-furnished Lenovo computer arrived Friday and today I set it all up in my home office. It's full-time, work-from-home for me from now on.

Today my new Boss RC-3 looper arrived and it's on my pedalboard. Tomorrow I'll try it out. I've needed a really good looper for a long time and decided now was the time to give myself a treat.  :rolleyes:

It holds up to 3 hours of looping in 99 presets and connects to my laptop using Boss Tone Studio RC-3. That's way better than the 38 seconds that my Boss ME-80 allows.

aRKF1Hq.jpg?1

vGLs3e7.jpg

1kPni7v.jpg

Edited by Marky Forrest

3 minutes ago, Marky Forrest said:

That's great Rabs! I'm happy to hear you sold 3 of your guitars and got a new order for a very cool design. Congratulations!

My new work-from-home, company-furnished Lenovo computer arrived Friday and today I set it all up in my home office. It's full-time, work-from-home for me from now on.

Today my new Boss RC-3 looper arrived and it's on my pedalboard. Tomorrow I'll try it out. I've needed a really good looper for a long time and decided now was the time to give myself a treat.  :rolleyes:

Cheers man.. Its appreciated....  Actually I sold 6 of them at the time.. Still got 3/4 left. Cant even remember at the moment. My lockdown brain is making everything seem like a big groundhog day blur at the moment.. Not that fun.

I got one of those boss pedals...  Now they ARE fun.. Great for laying down a rhythm track and jamming over it...  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rabs said:

Cheers man.. Its appreciated....  Actually I sold 6 of them at the time.. Still got 3/4 left. Cant even remember at the moment. My lockdown brain is making everything seem like a big groundhog day blur at the moment.. Not that fun.
That 12 string looks nice,  Yeah, that will challenge you, will it be your first 12 string build? 

Iv'e been sitting around the house so much not going out, It's been driving me nuts. 72 today and sunny. After Church, (they just do it from a computer and everyone stays home to watch it) I told Deb that I need to get some exercise. I took Sundance for a walk in the neighborhood. I thought so many people would be out and about that I would have to try and keep my distance. Other than a few out mowing the yard, there was nobody out. But it felt great just get outside. 

21 minutes ago, Retired said:

That 12 string looks nice,  Yeah, that will challenge you, will it be your first 12 string build? 

Iv'e been sitting around the house so much not going out, It's been driving me nuts. 72 today and sunny. After Church, (they just do it from a computer and everyone stays home to watch it) I told Deb that I need to get some exercise. I took Sundance for a walk in the neighborhood. I thought so many people would be out and about that I would have to try and keep my distance. Other than a few out mowing the yard, there was nobody out. But it felt great just get outside. 

Yup this is a first for me... It would be alright if he wanted a slim neck but he actually wants it a bit wider.. Says he would rather have the string spacing and room for bends.... Which is cool but I just worry about the relationship between the width of the fretboard at the nut and the end and how that relates to what size bridge to use or what the string spacing will be.. Before this I kind of just used dimensions I absolutely know work..  This will take some accurate measuring. Looking forward to doing it.. If I can get my head out of this groundhog day haze that I am currently in.

Still tomorrow the workshop is open for an hour for people to come in and collect stuff.. So I will get to pop in and pick some nice timber for this build. Will be nice to get out and see some other people, even if its only for an hour and still social distancing....

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

I have two fairly nice non-Gibson guitars that each had their own myriad of setup issues which have resulted in each of them being overly neglected.  So I went through and resolved both guitars' issues including fixing a number of fret-edge and dead-fret issues which is definitely pushing  the envelope of my limited skillset.  Along with a number of other setup tweaks,  I also changed strings on both of them, and then intonated them.  One of them is my only P-90 guitar, and that led to ripping on that one for quite a while -- restoring my neglected relationship with P-90s.  I was pretty happy with myself as I am far from being as knowledgeable as some of the luthiers and near-luthiers in this forum.  

Edited by 01GT eibach
  • Like 1

Queued at supermarket this morning.  Lovely day.

Broke the electric hedge-trimmer later after 15 mins use.  Think its the relay in the handle.

Got out the shears. Worked.

Charged and set up my new dual wireless phone system on my landline - Gigaset A220; finally now have a receiver upstairs and one downstairs.  Handsets come with rechargeable batteries. 

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1