Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

On 6/16/2020 at 8:23 PM, SteveFord said:

That's a nice line up of Martins, all right.

Did the usual: commuted from the bedroom into the dining room (no major delays were encountered), fed the tortoises, worked from 7:30 until 6:00, changed dirty lizard water, cleaned up after a boa constrictor, fed a boa constrictor and schemed on my next guitar purchases.  

They both start with a "G" and they get plugged into a Marshall amp to make me cross eyed with delight due to their iconic tones.

I should be getting a call any day now that my guitar came in.  How long is your boa Steve? 

5 minutes ago, Retired said:

I should be getting a call any day now that my guitar came in.  How long is your boa Steve? 

Nice.

Rocked Something/Anything? last night. That album is killer.  Saw Todd once.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nice.

Rocked Something/Anything? last night. That album is killer.  Saw Todd once.

I hardly play my Gretsch streamliner anymore. It's a gorgeous guitar and wine red, but with the Riviera coming in, I don't need the Gretsch. Put new strings on it, adjusted the truss rod a tweak or two, and set the bridge, checked pickup height,  I have low action as far as I can go,  did intonation on it and then played it a bit. Sounds great.  Yes, I learned all that here.  Rabs taught me a bunch. Anyway, My son is better than a used car salesman. I told him I wanted $200.00 for it  and anything above that he can keep. He can't wait to get it to sell. His Grandmother bought him his first used car for $4,000.00,   He drove it several years till a hail storm totaled it out. The insurance paid him $3,000.00 and then he sold it to some kid he knew for $5,000.00, Haha. He is a shister. 

On 6/17/2020 at 8:04 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

How was your back after roadie-ing all those for the photo?

I was, as the local saying in Gainesville, Florida, goes, a "hurtin' Gator."  (There's a reason that it'd been EIGHT years since I last did a photo like this!)

And in fact, just seeing the amps is only part of the story!  After setting up the amps, I dug up all the guitars, too.  But when I got them "all" set up, I was still one short!  I ransacked Casa Krashpad for a couple hours, and couldn't figure out why I was missing one.  I finally remembered that I had lent a bass to one of my son's friends many months prior.  By the time he could bring it over, it was after dark.  I tried doing a night-time photo, but the results we not optimal:

50019732427_02285e68f0_b.jpg

So, I inched the amps back into the garage for over night, and threw all the guitars in there as well.  And set the whole dang thing up a SECOND time the next morning!

49713309211_a99e35b79a_b.jpg

I know, I'm certifiable.

15 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Brian,

What's the Sovtek head like?  I know about their tubes but didn't know they made a guitar amp.

39125969282_a08eca2673_o.jpg

Steve, I loves me that Tube Midget!  It's a master-volume 50W  lunchbox size head that most seem to agree is very Marshall-y.  Super basic amp.  One channel (though you can choose low or high input).  Ever since getting it, it has been my main rig (either with the Risson 4x12, or the Kustom 1x15 cabs) for my main punk rock and roll band.
13120036_10154138051443879_2656665276493

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wahl clippers. I do it when I want. Like being back at bootcamp.

Yep!   Cancer screwed mine up, I'm not supposed to have any hair. Seems it grows very slow now and the few hairs that do stick up, I clip off once in awhile with small scissors. After awhile, I do go in for the back and sides to be cut with a trimmer. The doctors way back told me I would look like Telly Savalas.  I'm not supposed to have any eyebrows either. But when they gave me the radiation treatments and told me to freeze, I always squinted my eyebrows down as far as I could. So that helped in having some.  Yeah, I'm a cancer survivor for 32 years now, and I wasn't expected to even survive the surgery.  So, I try and encourage people that are going through it and give them hope!  Haha, I do have to tell a true story though, with that said. I was at Praire Life way back working out, when I noticed an older lady that had her hair all screwed up looking like she was going through Chemo. So in between sets, I walk over to her and mention to her to hang in there, It will get better. She said, Huh? So I tell her I went through the worst kind of cancer and so on when she stops me and says: "Sir, I do not have cancer, and it is none of your business!"  OK! I won't try and talk to women anymore Right?  I should have told her, "Then I guess you're not pregnant either huh?"  Have a good day!  

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Retired said:

Yep!   Cancer screwed mine up, I'm not supposed to have any hair. Seems it grows very slow now and the few hairs that do stick up, I clip off once in awhile with small scissors. After awhile, I do go in for the back and sides to be cut with a trimmer. The doctors way back told me I would look like Telly Savalas.  I'm not supposed to have any eyebrows either. But when they gave me the radiation treatments and told me to freeze, I always squinted my eyebrows down as far as I could. So that helped in having some.  Yeah, I'm a cancer survivor for 32 years now, and I wasn't expected to even survive the surgery.  So, I try and encourage people that are going through it and give them hope!  Haha, I do have to tell a true story though, with that said. I was at Praire Life way back working out, when I noticed an older lady that had her hair all screwed up looking like she was going through Chemo. So in between sets, I walk over to her and mention to her to hang in there, It will get better. She said, Huh? So I tell her I went through the worst kind of cancer and so on when she stops me and says: "Sir, I do not have cancer, and it is none of your business!"  OK! I won't try and talk to women anymore Right?  I should have told her, "Then I guess you're not pregnant either huh?"  Have a good day!  

Zoinks!  I had throat (tonsil/lymph node) cancer 12 years ago, myself.  No hair will grow on the left jaw side of my face where the rads entered, and it doesn't grow well at the "exit wound" location on the opposite side at the nape of my neck.  

The radiation eventually fecked my jaw to the point where it weakened and broke.  The jaw has been rebuilt with a piece of hipbone, and the neck on that side with my left pectoral muscle.  It's pretty gnarly so generally I wear a scarf/shemagh/neckerchief in public.

69744217_10157466378038879_6760273112245

Meanwhile, every day above ground is a good day.  😉

• Like 1

You look pretty good to me. and young. Yes, it isn't fun to go through the stuff we get hit with and that's my policy to. Every day above ground is a blessing.  You have a lot of guitars and amps for sure. Nice, Do you play them all? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Brian Krashpad said:

I was, as the local saying in Gainesville, Florida, goes, a "hurtin' Gator."  (There's a reason that it'd been EIGHT years since I last did a photo like this!)

And in fact, just seeing the amps is only part of the story!  After setting up the amps, I dug up all the guitars, too.  But when I got them "all" set up, I was still one short!  I ransacked Casa Krashpad for a couple hours, and couldn't figure out why I was missing one.  I finally remembered that I had lent a bass to one of my son's friends many months prior.  By the time he could bring it over, it was after dark.  I tried doing a night-time photo, but the results we not optimal:

50019732427_02285e68f0_b.jpg

So, I inched the amps back into the garage for over night, and threw all the guitars in there as well.  And set the whole dang thing up a SECOND time the next morning!

49713309211_a99e35b79a_b.jpg

I know, I'm certifiable.

You are indeed.

2 hours ago, Retired said:

You look pretty good to me. and young. Yes, it isn't fun to go through the stuff we get hit with and that's my policy to. Every day above ground is a blessing.  You have a lot of guitars and amps for sure. Nice, Do you play them all? 

Thanks.  For the most part, yes, they all get played from time to time, to varying degrees.  I have not played bass in a band for about a dozen years, so except for a reunion show 2-3 years ago, the basses and bass rigs are not getting much play (although for the most recent shows of my main band, my daughter used my bass rigs with her own bass guitar, so at least the rigs got some stage time).  

As for the guitars, I play guitar in my main band and a side band, so those get more action.  I do make a much more concerted attempt to rotate through the guitars, in particular, at practices and shows.  The two oldest guitars (the 1960 Duo-Sonic and c. 1973 Breadwinner) have some issues and are basically "retired"  from gigging.  The Duo-Sonic has never been gigged, sfaik.  I keep the guitar amps and bass amps set up in the garage for band practices, so that when my main band has a practice, people can just bring an instrument, and plug and play. 

45739038994_a4204b7445_c.jpg

And in fact I had one band member who often ended up playing through my gear, both guitars and amps, that was very common.  For example, in this photo, he's over on our right (stage left), playing my Les Paul Special.  He was supposed to bring his Marshall, but got locked out of his warehouse, so is playing through my "emergency backup" Laney (the small combo way over on the floor on the right).

13558914_1101664489891076_31684404708766

Or, at my 60th Birthday Party, here he is playing through some of my amps (a Marshall combo and MosValve combo mini-stack) and my Peavey T-60:

32624534_1815006951890156_49013878246049

I had a beater Telecaster that was one of the few I felt it safe to let him regularly play, I eventually just gave it to him when he got to ten years with the band:

30301614605_fca677dd8a_z.jpg

At any rate, whether it's me, myself, or friends/bandmates, they do get played.  😉 

• Like 1

You definetly have some nice gear there. Congrats on that. You're a bit like me in that I like variety and color in my guitars. 10 years playing in a band is pretty good. I only played once, It was when I graduated High School in 71, My cousin who played with the Rumbles in Council Bluffs, and who taught me to play along with my other cousin who later taught me more, got together on top of my parents garage, which was made into a patio up there. We played the night after my graduation to the neighborhood.  Guess they could hear us blocks away,  Mom said the phone was ringing off the hook with requests, and asking us to play songs over again. Haha, Back then, House Of The Rising Sun was a big hit, We played that over 3 or 4 times. That was one of my first songs learned at 13, and I still play it.  Both are dead now.  Well, good for you Brian, you have an impressive collection and keep rock N rolling. 

Today we recorded three, I'm 18 by Alice Cooper, Blue on Black Kenny Wayne, and Keep On Rockin In The Free World by that one guy from Canuckistan.  Each of us sang one, I have been doing the Neil Young since, well, he did it.  It went well.  Bass Player's son played drums.  Three hours and done, it was a blast inasmuch as recording can be a blast.  I'm tired.

rct

27 minutes ago, rct said:

Today we recorded three, I'm 18 by Alice Cooper, Blue on Black Kenny Wayne, and Keep On Rockin In The Free World by that one guy from Canuckistan.  Each of us sang one, I have been doing the Neil Young since, well, he did it.  It went well.  Bass Player's son played drums.  Three hours and done, it was a blast inasmuch as recording can be a blast.  I'm tired.

rct

I would like to have sung I'm 18. 

Even though I'm 40 years older than that.  

I still get confused every day 😃

51 minutes ago, brad1 said:

I would like to have sung I'm 18. 

Even though I'm 40 years older than that.  

I still get confused every day 😃

heh.

I turned 60 couple weeks ago.  So of course we ran through it a couple times for drummer kid to get the hang of it and of course he sang it "I'm SIXteee..."

rct

Edited by rct

1 hour ago, rct said:

rct

If you post links I'll look forward to hearing em for sure. I used to sing Powderfinger  with the covers band I was in - good fun.

our rehearsal studio is building a recording studio into their setup and the guys are keen to get some songs down. Not so sure...

1 hour ago, 'Scales said:

If you post links I'll look forward to hearing em for sure. I used to sing Powderfinger  with the covers band I was in - good fun.

our rehearsal studio is building a recording studio into their setup and the guys are keen to get some songs down. Not so sure...

We used to have a halfassed web page, and then we had a halfassed facebook page.  I hated them both and did not often say "Yes" to pictures or videos of me.  This time around with our old name the other two have been talking about a serious web page with serious updates.  If we get someone to manage it for us I will be much more amenable to that stuff, and I'll pay for it myself so I have some stick in the matter.   It's a lot to have to do, and it isn't easy to get good quality stuff most of the time, so I've never been a fan of that stuff.  But I could be if it is done right.

rct

10 hours ago, rct said:

rct

Blue on black, sweeeeet.  So KWS in Boston back in 2000 ish, and loved that song ever since.  What guitar are you using?

11 hours ago, Retired said:

You definitely have some nice gear there. Congrats on that. You're a bit like me in that I like variety and color in my guitars. 10 years playing in a band is pretty good. I only played once, It was when I graduated High School in 71, My cousin who played with the Rumbles in Council Bluffs, and who taught me to play along with my other cousin who later taught me more, got together on top of my parents garage, which was made into a patio up there. We played the night after my graduation to the neighborhood.  Guess they could hear us blocks away,  Mom said the phone was ringing off the hook with requests, and asking us to play songs over again. Haha, Back then, House Of The Rising Sun was a big hit, We played that over 3 or 4 times. That was one of my first songs learned at 13, and I still play it.  Both are dead now.  Well, good for you Brian, you have an impressive collection and keep rock N rolling. 

Haha, House of the Rising Sun was one of the first songs that I learned as well!  Thanks and keep rocking too.  👍

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

Blue on black, sweeeeet.  So KWS in Boston back in 2000 ish, and loved that song ever since.  What guitar are you using?

Shoreline Gold Schifflett Telecaster Deluxe straight into whatever computer thingy he's using these days.

rct