Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

4 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

I know, right?  I'm torn between embarrassment and humble-pride.  😉

Not bad .... nice collection ... reminds me of mine... 🙂

dvyHRUh.jpg

Not mine actually this is the Hard Rock in Honolulu.. 

🙂

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

Not bad .... nice collection ... reminds me of mine... 🙂

dvyHRUh.jpg

Not mine actually this is the Hard Rock in Honolulu.. 

🙂

Haha, mahalo!  My wife lived in Hawaii as a kid (her Dad was FAA), and my parents lived there before I was born, back in the '50s (my Dad was USN and stationed at Pearl).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

Haha, mahalo!  My wife lived in Hawaii as a kid (her Dad was FAA), and my parents lived there before I was born, back in the '50s (my Dad was USN and stationed at Pearl).

Very cool, my dad flew a B-24 there migrated from Texas during the war...

Oh... he was just being used to ferry there he didn't get to stay long...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

My Dad was stationed at Hickam AFB from 69-73. We lived in Aiea for the first year. And on Hickam for 3 years.

I was 8-12 years old. I have some wonderful memories of that paradise. Not so many of Aiea.  But Hickam was wonderful. Pearl Harbor was across the street from my house. You could see the Arizona Memorial from my front yard.

53 minutes ago, brad1 said:

My Dad was stationed at Hickam AFB from 69-73. We lived in Aiea for the first year. And on Hickam for 3 years.

I was 8-12 years old. I have some wonderful memories of that paradise. Not so many of Aiea.  But Hickam was wonderful. Pearl Harbor was across the street from my house. You could see the Arizona Memorial from my front yard.

Went to the Arizona Memorial ever time someone would come visit me when stationed in Hawaii. Loved being there. Too expensive for me.

My SR15 tube amp came in yesterday shipped from the Monoprice warehouse in Kentucky, someone beat the crap out of it breaking the grill panel and busted the speaker loose.

Edited by mihcmac

6 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Wow, cool looking guitar.

It's a great Goldtop.  12" radius.  I put a pair of Duncans in it, no surprise.  And a big slab of white pearl pickguard.  And an Elektrosoket jack in it.  And an RCT neckplate.  Besides all that, bone stock!  

rct

55 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

My SR15 tube amp came in yesterday shipped from the Monoprice warehouse in Kentucky, someone beat the crap out of it breaking the grill panel and busted the speaker loose.

That. Sucks.

7 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Went to the Arizona Memorial ever time someone would come visit me when stationed in Hawaii. Loved being there. Too expensive for me.

We went there November of 79 on our Honeymoon. Great place to visit but yes, Prices were outrageous there. Back then, $5.00 for a Big Mac?  

I was being courted to fly over to interview for a job in a hospital there - 20+ years ago -  but, while they clearly had an offer all ready to make, we couldn't come close on the salary. They wanted to pay what the average salary was in CONUS - and I kept pointing out that their Cost of Living was double what it was in the lower 48.  (Sort of had to argue the point since it was a FINANCIAL position).  Finally, the hospital CFO told me that the benefit of living in a tropical paradise made up for the shortfall in the pay.  I managed not to laugh,  and never regretted missing out on a free 3 day visit to The Big Island.  

Forgot about my Jass Bass. Its a '95 Fender American Standard Jazz Body with Rio Grande Muy Grande pups, and a black bound, with black block inlays, Birdseye Maple Warmoth neck. 

Wanted to ride my mountain bike but its raining. I guess I will row on my machine instead.

t1q2aCf.jpg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, rct said:

That. Sucks.

Sucks is very accurate..

After thoroughly checking out the amp finding the amp, tubes, reverb tank and speaker seemed to not be damaged, but the grill panel was broken pretty badly.

V5bb7mj.jpg

Feeling bored, I completely disassembled the amp and removed the grill panel.

In the 70's I worked for a company that built amps for Gretsch.

Confident that I could repair it, I glued and clamped it over night.

P2hKhW2.jpg

Reassembled and testing.. so far so good, it sounds great...

3BqxmWY.jpg

You might think it strange that I would try to repair it, but remember I live on an island nothing gets thrown away here and I was bored..

I am in contact with Monoprice about the damage, they don't know I rebuilt it yet..

I will fire it up today at my afternoon jam giving it the acid test...

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

Changing strings on the 12 string. Trying some new string, DR Dragonskin phosphor bronze coated strings. 10 - 48. I also bought a pack of Cleartones for the next time. Hopefully these will last and sound good.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper