Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

48 minutes ago, Retired said:

I would like to be able to afford a nice Martin.  Even a Guild. I do love the Guild tones. Someday? The easiest 12 string, I ever owned to play was my Ovation Celebrity or whatever it was called when I was around 18. I played it a lot. It had a very nice sound and electric to. Back in the 70's though, I think they put larger bellies under them than the ones today.  I used to listen to Roy Clark a lot. Such an awesome player. 

I posted this before somewhere else, but Roy is so hot, I'm listening to him today.

I will mow tomorrow.  I was watching Deb sew the Elephant quilt for me today. Interesting each stage. Cut out the paper, find the colors of fabric that go in each piece, She folds and cuts the material, Then sews the paper on and irons it flat. Then repeats up to 8 times to get one one piece of the puzzle together.  Interesting. 

4 hours ago, Retired said:

I will mow tomorrow.  I was watching Deb sew the Elephant quilt for me today. Interesting each stage. Cut out the paper, find the colors of fabric that go in each piece, She folds and cuts the material, Then sews the paper on and irons it flat. Then repeats up to 8 times to get one one piece of the puzzle together.  Interesting. 

Yep. Little squares go together to make bigger ones.

On 6/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, Retired said:

I would like to be able to afford a nice Martin.  Even a Guild. I do love the Guild tones. Someday? The easiest 12 string, I ever owned to play was my Ovation Celebrity or whatever it was called when I was around 18. I played it a lot. It had a very nice sound and electric to. Back in the 70's though, I think they put larger bellies under them than the ones today.  I used to listen to Roy Clark a lot. Such an awesome player. 

The Martin 12 string wasn't one of  their $3000 guitars.  It cost me somewhere around 575 at a GC sale.  It was one of the new and lower priced models Martin was making then.  It was a decent guitar.  I got 400 even for it when I sold it.  Just didn't have the patience or desire to spend the necessary time with it. .............My patience for learning new things is pretty thin....lol.....Instead of spending time  and concentrating on my technique for a 12 string, I'd rather play a 6 string where I just do it and don't even have to think about it....lol........................Wouldn't it be incredibe to be able to play like Clark or Campbell?.............Of course, that won't happen.  God only made one of each with those guys.

In the mid sixties I came across a Fender Shenandoah with a bolt-on neck and it had tone bar running through the center of the body. My best memories of play-ability of any 12 string acoustic I have come across. Unfortunately it be wasn't mine but belonged to my drummer, but I got to play it a lot. Has anyone had any experience with these.. ? Just reminiscing this morning..

11806.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

Today I am resting.  Yesterday I spent 4 hours in apheresis giving T Cells for my brother.  Stem cell transplant last year, Donor Lymphocytic Infusion this year.  He's a Rock.

rct

• Like 2

3 hours ago, rct said:

Today I am resting.  Yesterday I spent 4 hours in apheresis giving T Cells for my brother.  Stem cell transplant last year, Donor Lymphocytic Infusion this year.  He's a Rock.

rct

👍 Hoping for the best.

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

Picked up a guitar for the first time in 2 months (giving a sore arm a rest).   Lot's of rust, little magic, arm hurts a little, not horrible - ice for now, maybe give it another go later today.  Gotta find that guitar magic...

These times happen for lots of reasons, like a bad arm.  It has been my experience that the magic makes it's way back, more a matter of it finding you again.  But it won' look if you aren't looking, so give it what you can.

rct

56 minutes ago, rct said:

These times happen for lots of reasons, like a bad arm.  It has been my experience that the magic makes it's way back, more a matter of it finding you again.  But it won' look if you aren't looking, so give it what you can.

rct

Ah thanks agreed.  The magic will come, I love the magic...  the calmness a guitar can bring, then playing something you feel was super cool, to the point you really want to share it with someone - that's what I"m going for.

But also, because of my arm,  Instead of busting my *** with a home landscaping job -  I'm watching a group of 4 people remove a patch of grass and level out a portion of ground for a little above ground pool.  Something that would've taken me 3 weeks and not been done as good will be done in 1/2 a day...   while I'm sipping a beverage with ice, being entertained watching what they do.  Just took a bunch of aspirin, if my arm stops hurting I'll go play the guitar for them, I'm sure they'll love that.

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

Ah thanks agreed.  The magic will come, I love the magic...  the calmness a guitar can bring, then playing something you feel was super cool, to the point you really want to share it with someone - that's what I"m going for.

I'm good with hitting the ending American Band with the rest of them.

rct

21 hours ago, rct said:

rct

Oh man,  good luck to your brother.   you, - also a rock..  rest up bro.

To all those who are reaching into their 60's for the first time, don't let the number rule what you do, just keep doing. Your guitar work will keep your brain young as long as you want it to, while aches and pains of the body may accumulate just keep moving and let the girls be handy..

2 hours ago, kidblast said:

rou roh Reorge... define BIG?

Very good White Fang and Black Tooth impression, Soupy would be proud...

1 hour ago, rct said:

Couple overdrives, reverb, phase, buffer, tuner, delay, chorus, comfrigginpressor, something else I'm missing for sure.  Stuff, accumulated not being used stuff.

rct

I don't think anyone could have enough delays and choruses, I run them constantly in my effects loop for conditioning, aside from the ones on the ground  leading into my amp.

I have a couple of Whammy pedals that are collecting dust since I started using a tremolo bar again..

2 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I don't think anyone could have enough delays and choruses, I run them constantly in my effects loop for conditioning, aside from the ones on the ground  leading into my amp.

I use a little chorus for clean stuff, delay for the Gilmour and not much else.

rct

On 6/23/2020 at 3:55 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yep. Little squares go together to make bigger ones.

Yes.  I asked her why do they have a very small pyramid corner,  about 1/2" that gets sewn on and cut, with the next piece that adjoins it, the same color material?  Seems a waste of time but she said it doesn't work like that.  She tried it my way and had to redo it 4 times Lol. "OK, I'll leave Deb!"  She doesn't tell me how to paint so I won't tell her how to sew! Haha.