Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

On 6/23/2020 at 12:21 PM, MissouriPicker said:

The Martin 12 string wasn't one of  their $3000 guitars.  It cost me somewhere around 575 at a GC sale.  It was one of the new and lower priced models Martin was making then.  It was a decent guitar.  I got 400 even for it when I sold it.  Just didn't have the patience or desire to spend the necessary time with it. .............My patience for learning new things is pretty thin....lol.....Instead of spending time  and concentrating on my technique for a 12 string, I'd rather play a 6 string where I just do it and don't even have to think about it....lol........................Wouldn't it be incredibe to be able to play like Clark or Campbell?.............Of course, that won't happen.  God only made one of each with those guys.

I would be happy to play like any great guitar player.  Actually, I'd be thrilled to even remember how solos went.  Ha, It took me 1 year to learn Stairway to Heaven.  Thats just the finger picking part.  I had to do it over and over and over again.  When I got to the first solo, I could never remember it the next day. I can chord fine, even play lead parts. Frustrates me, but at least I can still play. 

On 6/23/2020 at 2:34 PM, rct said:

Today I am resting.  Yesterday I spent 4 hours in apheresis giving T Cells for my brother.  Stem cell transplant last year, Donor Lymphocytic Infusion this year.  He's a Rock.

rct

Good for you RC.  Best wishes for your brother. 

12 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Picked up a guitar for the first time in 2 months (giving a sore arm a rest).   Lot's of rust, little magic, arm hurts a little, not horrible - ice for now, maybe give it another go later today.  Gotta find that guitar magic...

Keep trying. Persistence wins the game. At 16, I cut my left arm almost off on a garage window.  Almost bleed out. The only part that held the arm on was the bone. So you can imagine, all the veins and arteries and nerves were cut at the elbow and wrist.  I was determined I would play again. It took a long time, but I kept picking up the guitar trying.  Good luck Fester. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, rct said:

I use a little chorus for clean stuff, delay for the Gilmour and not much else.

rct

My delay going into my amp is set for fast delay creating a type of sustain, then the delay in the effects loop is set with slower repeats feeding my chorus that is set slow as possible, both with a moderate mix level. Now that I have 2 matching tube amps, I may run chorus on one and delay on the other or completely different conditioning effects. But since I mostly play my own music I don't have to worry about duplicating a specific sound, what ever I do its mine.. 🙂

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

My delay going into my amp is set for fast delay creating a type of sustain, then the delay in the effects loop is set with slower repeats feeding my chorus that is set slow as possible, both with a moderate mix level. Now that I have 2 matching tube amps, I may run chorus on one and delay on the other or completely different conditioning effects. But since I mostly play my own music I don't have to worry about duplicating a specific sound, what ever I do its mine.. 🙂

Nice. I have a Super Champ X2 tube amp. It has DLY, Whatever that is? Reverb, Delay, Vibratone, Tremolo, Chorus and something else that I can't read. Each one has 3 settings for speed. I only used the DLY mostly. Lately I added Reverb and Chorus.  I have a Mustang 2 also, but rarely use it.  Rock On!

5 hours ago, brad1 said:

I began learning the song Message in a Bottle by the Police. 

Much more difficult than it sounds.  You really have to stretch those fingers on the fretboard.  Ouch!

People think those guys just play punk and fake white reggae. All 3 are killer musicians.

That stretch is hard. I have little girl hands.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, rct said:

Couple overdrives, reverb, phase, buffer, tuner, delay, chorus, comfrigginpressor, something else I'm missing for sure.  Stuff, accumulated not being used stuff.

rct

RCT, if you wanna do something, tell me more about the reverb pedals...   pm me..

4 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

People think those guys just play punk and fake white reggae. All 3 are killer musicians.

Then throw in arthritis in the fingers, especially the pinky finger and it becomes almost impossible.  Haha. 

6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I'll give them their due for being killer musicians, but I saw them back in mid 80s, and most impressionable thing about the show was the pink jump suit the guy from the opening act was wearing...  can't remember a song that was played.

43 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

I'll give them their due for being killer musicians, but I saw them back in mid 80s, and most impressionable thing about the show was the pink jump suit the guy from the opening act was wearing...  can't remember a song that was played.

After Zenyatta I lost interest in them. Synchronicity like Back In Black and 1984, people went ga ga over. I never understood why, they are awful albums. 

29 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

After Zenyatta I lost interest in them. Synchronicity like Back In Black and 1984, people went ga ga over. I never understood why, they are awful albums. 

Agree with synchronicity...  can't say that about back in black.  Hells Bells, Rock n Roll aint Noise Pollution, and a bunch of good ol ACDC rock filler.

Favorite quote I heard from that band...  at some point in time someone said they made 12 albums that all sound the same, they replied back angrily, it was 13!

22 minutes ago, uncle fester said:

Agree with synchronicity...  can't say that about back in black.  Hells Bells, Rock n Roll aint Noise Pollution, and a bunch of good ol ACDC rock filler.

Favorite quote I heard from that band...  at some point in time someone said they made 12 albums that all sound the same, they replied back angrily, it was 13!

I think Angus said that. Those are the only 2 good songs on it. I never want to hear Shook Me All Night Long ever in my life again.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

41 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think Angus said that. Those are the only 2 good songs on it. I never want to hear Shook Me All Night Long ever in my life again.

They played that over and over at Waco to drive The Branch Davidian nuts. You know the rest of the story.....

Monoprice eBay store contacted me about my damaged SR15 and said they could do a return on it for refund but could not replace it because they are out of stock again. I let them know I repaired it and intended to keep it. Right now the only available version is the Harley Benton 15 which is wired for 230v, Thomannd reports it is their best selling tube amp at the moment.

The new repaired one is sounding good and playing out of two of them is really interesting, I have an inclination to use multiple amps, but have been using my Rolands for too long..

Oh no, my Briggs is calling me, got to go finish mowing the back lawn...

Edited by mihcmac

This morning a guy came with the blinds they custom built for our new kitchen,  Now it looks finished.  I told Debbie now she can go back to cleaning the house bare butt naked like she did when I first married her. Haha.  I at least got a laugh! 

• Haha 1

Today, other than going to work like any other day, my buddy Steve and I had our first lunch outing since this Corona thing started.

We played an acoustic gig Saturday night and when we packed up and went home he actually forgot his Martin was still in the bar! Since I live 2 minutes from the place I went and got it for him and he came by my work today to get it. So we had to make a lunch date out of it. 😎 We visited two of our local spots where we play to see what the deal is moving forward. The one place, Rams Head is under new management and not looking promising at least through the summer. Then we hit our original and favorite Crabtowne and secured a gig for July. [thumbup]  

It's still not quite the same having to wear masks in and out and keeping a distance from everyone. But we did manage to have some fun with the other patrons and staff. It was nice to get the Steve and Jay show going again, even if only a watered down version.    

I watched Zardoz last night, hadn't seen it for a very long time. It made me wonder how many naked women they included to keep Sean interested.

zardoz_rampling_connery_307a.jpg

Sean kills his god Zardoz

floating-head.jpg

and proceeds to destroy the advanced stagnant civilization.

Edited by mihcmac

8 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I watched Zardoz last night, hadn't seen it for a very long time. It made me wonder how many naked women they included to keep Sean interested.

zardoz_rampling_connery_307a.jpg

Sean kills his god Zardoz

floating-head.jpg

and proceeds to destroy the advanced stagnant civilization.

Here comes rct.

Sean in an orange diaper kills me.

The gun is good. The penis is evil.

1 hour ago, uncle fester said:

ripped half the front bumper off my car when it caught on a rock as I was backing up out of the driveway at a friends house...  ooof.  Made for a good reason for a nice G&T this afternoon though.

That must have been a big rock. 

• Like 2

Watched the early Premiere League match, Aston Villa 0 - 1 Wolves.  Mowed the front lawn; well most of it.  When I woke up, the chance of rain was supposedly 2%.  By the time I mowed mid-morning it was 15%.  This being Florida, it still poured, but fortunately not til a couple hours after I finished mowing.

After I came inside and got cleaned up, I watched an FA Cup match, which ended drawn 1-1, between bottom of the table Norwich and much stronger Man United.  United won at the death, at the end of extra time, with a garbage goal:

https://www.livesoccertv.com/news/34141/watch-maguire-seals-fa-cup-semi-final-berth-for-manchester-united-with-a-118th-minute-goal/

Took a pic of my cheapie T-bird for a facebook group called Gear 'n Beer:

106137301_10158383902103879_492677815581 (

Now I'm just drinkin' beer, watching a Japanese monster movie (Godzilla v. Monster Zero!) and doing a little bit of "office" work (I have a solo practice legal research/consultation firm I do from home; since I've been working from home since the start of 2013, I am very blessed not to have to alter work for the pandemic).  Sent an email to one client who requested a Motion to Compel his opponent to provide some billing records, but had to remind him that he hadn't formally actually subpoena'd those records yet!  So, that's kinda "cart before the horse" territory.  Gonna send a dunning email to a different client, he just paid me for something I did last week, but still owes me for stuff from February.  Dang lawyers.  😉 After that will be working on amending a tort complaint.  I usually do family law, but in the midst of a divorce one of my clients (my clients are all other lawyers) is doing, the opposing party Wife got lightfingered and stole a bunch of Husband's personal property, fecked up files on his PC, that sorta thing.  Gotta love stupid people, they keep me in business.