Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

9 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yes it is  🙂   We sell all sorts of wood and you are right. When you get that sort of contrast in wood the light and dark bits really pop when oiled.. 

We also currently have some lovely English Walnut that I have just started cleaning up after air drying.

Y0QLeQY.jpg

8a3lUEC.jpg

Rabs,

Lots of interesting grain around knots & fissures. Is there any reason why they cant be incorporated into a body? I realise sometimes the gaps would be too open to fill properly, but does it present any structural problem?

I'd guess, because spalted wood had started to break down - the tree died -  it is more fragile and would be really hard to get a slice thin enough for a top.  Although I've heard of it being used for veneers.   I guess solid body electric is a good option.  Good to hear beech is another possible tone wood.  I'm reminded of tales of wood shipping pallets being made in Brazil out of rosewood, and some stumps discarded. Wonder if they've gotten the worms and fungus to make them even more valuable.  Some farmer's daughter could be sitting on a gold mine down there. 

Smoked a brisket yesterday, smoking ribs today - and getting ready to see my folks for the first time since this whole pandemic hit (in a socially distanced manner... but with really good food)

and while the ribs are smoking, i'm out back playing guitar for the chickens.

Edited by uncle fester

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Rabs,

Lots of interesting grain around knots & fissures. Is there any reason why they cant be incorporated into a body? I realise sometimes the gaps would be too open to fill properly, but does it present any structural problem?

No theres no reason not to use them really unless the knots are in an awkward place like where the volume controls are or something... But you can oriantate the wood to work around it if necessary..  You just fill them with superglue or something to strengthen it.

46 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'd guess, because spalted wood had started to break down - the tree died -  it is more fragile and would be really hard to get a slice thin enough for a top.  Although I've heard of it being used for veneers.   I guess solid body electric is a good option.  Good to hear beech is another possible tone wood.  I'm reminded of tales of wood shipping pallets being made in Brazil out of rosewood, and some stumps discarded. Wonder if they've gotten the worms and fungus to make them even more valuable.  Some farmer's daughter could be sitting on a gold mine down there. 

Well spalted tops have been used for years..   I have one that I want to use soon

whIiNyY.jpg

Again, if its super spalted and looks like it will fall apart where you are going to cut it, you just add superglue to those areas to stabilise it.

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wow.  Very impressive.  Please let us see a few shots of this project as you move it along.  And especially the finished product.  Is super glue better than clear epoxy for this purpose?  

Much the same really..  Super glue is just cheap and easy.....

This is one of the nicer bookmatched tops I have made.. Also splated and flamed beech with a tiny bit of burr in the middle

f1wKVSH.jpg

kJUXEeN.jpg

And some of our London Plane

vhgyBbf.jpg?1

XvnYCNC.jpg

17 hours ago, Rabs said:

This is one of the nicer bookmatched tops I have made.. Also splated and flamed beech with a tiny bit of burr in the middle

f1wKVSH.jpg

Not sure what it is, but this one makes me want a chicken sandwich.

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Pizza Oven ?   

Oh. Wait.  I finally caught up.  I thought that was an outside patio conversation/fire pit.   It's a big, beautiful solid stone fireplace which is going to have a home built around it !     We sometimes see the same thing in reverse here in rural areas.  A big old fireplace and chimney standing in a field, The house - long gone.    Nice ! 

20 hours ago, Rabs said:

f1wKVSH.jpg

That is some guys beard.

15 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Oh. Wait.  I finally caught up.  I thought that was an outside patio conversation/fire pit.   It's a big, beautiful solid stone fireplace which is going to have a home built around it !     We sometimes see the same thing in reverse here in rural areas.  A big old fireplace and chimney standing in a field, The house - long gone.    Nice ! 

Thanks...yes, it's part of an outdoor patio, there's a house behind me, they poured the decorative/stamped concrete patio a few days ago, I'll get a pic of that. I'm a mason, not all my projects are this nice, some are kind of boring.

20 hours ago, Rabs said:

f1wKVSH.jpg

kJUXEeN.jpg

vhgyBbf.jpg?1

XvnYCNC.jpg

That is very nice, what will you make out of it....speakers?!

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That is very nice, what will you make out of it....speakers?!

Nah, these are some of what I sell on eBay for the timber company I work with...  

Edited by Rabs

23 hours ago, Rabs said:

f1wKVSH.jpg

kJUXEeN.jpg

vhgyBbf.jpg?1

It looks like something form my childhood....

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rabs said:

Nah, these are some of what I sell on eBay for the timber company I work with...  

Klipsch makes a speaker called a Klipschorn, or Khorn. It has a front panel about 32" wide and 48" tall, all wood. Some of the special versions have matching panels like you showed, they are exquisite. Your pic reminded me of those. Someone will do something special with those I'm sure.

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

Klipsch makes a speaker called a Klipschorn, or Khorn. It has a front panel about 32" wide and 48" tall, all wood. Some of the special versions have matching panels like you showed, they are exquisite. Your pic reminded me of those. Someone will do something special with those I'm sure.

I have wanted a set of Klipschorns for decades, but don't want to mortgage my house for a set.