Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

14 hours ago, jdgm said:

Awoke.  Listened to news on radio, hope it's correct.

Eat porridge, toast, cup of tea, pills.  Lie on bed in Sunday post-breakfast digestive reverie for a bit.

Internet; check news again.  4th day of month-long lockdown.  Do some email.

More food; beef, lettuce and mayo sandwich, big cup of proper coffee.   Yum.  Overcast, cold and grey outside.

At the moment that's it basically....sleep, eat, drink, look at media, play guitar, listen to music, read. 

Lucky.....

Is porridge fancy oatmeal?

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Is porridge fancy oatmeal?

I think it's the same thing?  Rolled oats in a pan, add boiling water, bit of milk, sugar to taste, blueberries, whatever.....cheaper than many cereals and not sugar-coated.

58 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

.........Putin stepping down. 

Chance would be a fine thing, as they say.

The Kremlin are furiously denying it, but it seems he IS showing signs of something like Parkinson's. So maybe there is some truth in it.

It would be the 3rd extraordinary thing in an amazing week if confirmed!!

I got 29 yard waist containers and yard paper sacks stuffed full. At times I jumped up and down inside the containers & sacks to pack it down so I could stuff more in. Haha. New rule here, They will only take a total of 9 containers rather it be house or yard waist. Still have a ;lot more to get up. I have 20 ready to go for next week.  Still a lot more up in the trees to come down yet.  Wonder if I sold the house and got an apartment if they would complain about playing my electric guitars? Lol .   Nah....Guess I better stay here. 

10 hours ago, Retired said:

I got 29 yard waist containers and yard paper sacks stuffed full. At times I jumped up and down inside the containers & sacks to pack it down so I could stuff more in. Haha. New rule here, They will only take a total of 9 containers rather it be house or yard waist. Still have a ;lot more to get up. I have 20 ready to go for next week.  Still a lot more up in the trees to come down yet.  Wonder if I sold the house and got an apartment if they would complain about playing my electric guitars? Lol .   Nah....Guess I better stay here. 

When we lived in Central Taxachussetts -  Chicopee, a mill town just north of Springfield -  we had a three story  Victorian house built in 1915 on a double lot with several 100 year old oak trees.  We filled 100 trash bags filled lining the entire curb.  The regular, large, old size bags - not the super big ones.  Trash Man (city government) would only take around 15 or so at a time.  Problem was - when it rained, the water would leak into the bag, So by the time the Trash Man got to the last ones - they weighed 50 pounds each.     

The people who bought the house from us, cut down half dozen big old trees, including a couple of 30 foot douglas fir -  subdivided the lot (city government) built a crappy little house on it and sold it.  Since the housing market had re-bounded, they probably were able to pay off most of their mortgage.   They then moved a couple of years later.  Probably to do the same thing again. 

Today -  I'm going to focus on learning one song I've been dithering with  - Feeling Good Again,  Rob't Earl Keen -  so I've got it down pat and permanent.   And, we're going to the store to stock up on essentials, like toilet paper, coffee, beer.  

I did 73 bags of leaves so far this year.  Right now, I have 43 bags on roadside for pickup.  I could probably do more, but damn I'm hoping to be done for the year.  People have told me to consider paying someone to clean the stuff up, but that costs quite a bit, and I needed something to do instead of sitting on my butt like I've been doing lately.  It also helps to get some help when doing this as I've done this for the last 7 years by my lonesome.  This year though, my little ones and wife helped out thankfully.  I have about an acre of land with mature trees all around so it takes quite some time to gather them all up and bag them. 

1 hour ago, NighthawkChris said:

I've done this for the last 7 years by my lonesome.  This year though, my little ones and wife helped out thankfully.  I have about an acre of land with mature trees all around so it takes quite some time to gather them all up and bag them. 

This is the first years my kids have been able to help, raking...  and over the summer mowing the lawn.  They didn't do it all, but enough where it wasn't such a big chore.  I lived in africa for about 3 years with a family where the father had 4 wives and 17 kids.  I asked why so many kids, he replied, to help with the fields.  I don't need 17 kids, but getting the 3 I do have to help out works.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Super cool.

I really like it, no flaws that I can see.

10 hours ago, SteveFord said:

And?

The 339 was setup to play right out of the box.

9 hours ago, jdgm said:

He's got to change the pickups first!!

[biggrin]

Thats the plan, I will install Mean 90's, I haven't decided what color; Black, Nickel or Toaster style..

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That was what I did when I had electrics. That headstock is Gib-stastic.

Nothing like a semi. Hollow that is...pervs.

This was an early release of the new 339 with what looks  like the original 50's Epiphone headstock, most of 339's being sold now have the old more ornate headstock and coil tapping. This new style wasn't available with P90's yet. So since the GFS Mean 90's are exceptional, I will install them, so I get to go fishing through the F hole.

ScU7NrT.jpg

I have noticed a "Scarf Joint", not on the neck, but carefully disguised in the headstock just past the nut. 

So today I am really enjoying unplugged, none of my other electrics make this much sound.

Edited by mihcmac

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Sneaky Chinese. You can sleep safe tonight knowing it was hand crafted (no machines used) in China.

Lots of manufactures use Scarf Joints, they tend be stronger than continuous wood on set necks, bolt-on's theres no point. Although my Ibanez has one, none of my other Epi's have it.

With Epiphone introducing the new headstock on a few guitars in their product line it was logical choice. Prior to this Epiphone has not used Scarf Joints for a very long time.

Below is how they did it on a new LP.

Ip4lEpv.jpg

Geeezzzzz, I gotta go plug in my 339 now.

Edited by mihcmac

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

When we lived in Central Taxachussetts -  Chicopee, a mill town just north of Springfield -  we had a three story  Victorian house built in 1915 on a double lot with several 100 year old oak trees.  We filled 100 trash bags filled lining the entire curb.  The regular, large, old size bags - not the super big ones.  Trash Man (city government) would only take around 15 or so at a time.  Problem was - when it rained, the water would leak into the bag, So by the time the Trash Man got to the last ones - they weighed 50 pounds each.     

The people who bought the house from us, cut down half dozen big old trees, including a couple of 30 foot douglas fir -  subdivided the lot (city government) built a crappy little house on it and sold it.  Since the housing market had re-bounded, they probably were able to pay off most of their mortgage.   They then moved a couple of years later.  Probably to do the same thing again. 

Today -  I'm going to focus on learning one song I've been dithering with  - Feeling Good Again,  Rob't Earl Keen -  so I've got it down pat and permanent.   And, we're going to the store to stock up on essentials, like toilet paper, coffee, beer.  

Sounds like a beautiful house.  They will only pick up 9 containers total here of both house and yard waste.  I stuffed 29 total yesterday and still have more to do. Not today as it's raining and 36 the high. Haha, If I had 100 containers to do per day, I'd move to, LOL.   We had 8  trees cut down already.  One neighbors tree I have no clue what it is, produces leaves larger than the Incredible Hulks, hands. It also drops bark 3 seasons. 

not the greatest shot I haven't pealed the plastic yet. I set the intonation, the action was already pretty good, the neck is relatively flat and no buzzing, the frets feel slippery and ends are smooth and fret 22 is easy to reach. The Alnico Classic PRO Humbuckers sound nice and chimey and thick, I lowered the neck pickup to balance the tone on mid position and the CTS full size pots are really smooth. Looking forward to installing some Mean 90's..

N6qxHso.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

not the greatest shot I haven't pealed the plastic yet. I set the intonation, the action was already pretty good, the neck is relatively flat and no buzzing, the frets feel slippery and ends are smooth and fret 22 is easy to reach. The Alnico Classic PRO Humbuckers sound nice and chimey and thick, I lowered the neck pickup to balance the tone on mid position and the CTS full size pots are really smooth. Looking forward to installing some Mean 90's..

N6qxHso.jpg

I hold my hand over the headstock and it reminds me of J O Lennon's.