Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Had to replace an ignition coil on my car and while I was in the area put in a new set of (6) spark plugs (70K miles on the car) for a total of about $250.  Damn, that could have been  used to fund a new guitar.

Big, big day today.

Up at 5:45 am, and walked my daily 2-hour, 6-1/2 miles. 

Showered, and spent two hours customizing a used hockey helmet-goalie mask I received yesterday from ebay, and then welcomed my music bud.

We schmoozed and played for a few hours until I left to get a haircut.

At 11:15 pm, I'll be on the ice for my usual Friday night hockey game and try out my new mask for the first time.

Oh. And tomorrow is my 74th birthday.

RBSinTo

On 4/8/2022 at 6:55 PM, RBSinTo said:

Big, big day today.

Up at 5:45 am, and walked my daily 2-hour, 6-1/2 miles. 

Showered, and spent two hours customizing a used hockey helmet-goalie mask I received yesterday from ebay, and then welcomed my music bud.

We schmoozed and played for a few hours until I left to get a haircut.

At 11:15 pm, I'll be on the ice for my usual Friday night hockey game and try out my new mask for the first time.

Oh. And tomorrow is my 74th birthday.

RBSinTo

Have a great birthday!  Remember, us old dudes are supposed to be patient and kind, as well as being libraries of wisdom and knowledge.  Hell, I’ll be 75 at the end of June.  Having the time of my life.  Real busy with family and playing more music than ever before…….  Wish I could play hockey.  I’ve never been good on ice skates.

42 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Have a great birthday!  Remember, us old dudes are supposed to be patient and kind, as well as being libraries of wisdom and knowledge.  Hell, I’ll be 75 at the end of June.  Having the time of my life.  Real busy with family and playing more music than ever before…….  Wish I could play hockey.  I’ve never been good on ice skates.

MissouriPicker,

Thank you for the kind wishes.

Being 74 is good except that I've really beaten the **** out of this body for a long time, and so I hurt much of the time.

But being a run-down old guy is vastly better than the alternative. 

Luckily, because of sheer stubbornness, and Ibuprophen, I still manage to play competitive hockey, often with people fifty years younger.

Think young!

RBSinTo 

I popped down to the wood shop I used to work at today. Just to say hello.. I saw a piece of wood so nice I bought it on the spot  😄 

Spalted and slightly pippy London Plane..  55mm thick.

rCRQomn.jpg

Through the thicknesser to get it flat.. Went from 55-45mm..

zB3d1eP.jpg

And look at that amazingness.  All grown here to, from outside London Euston Station.

TASTTdU.jpg

nzaEae1.jpg

shMikb9.jpg

Even that side grain is lovely

zYsPrjE.jpg

I have been pretty unmotivated recently.. I am hoping it will help me get back in to things.

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 2

Rabs -  that piece of wood is amazing.  Hope you can do something with it while retaining its 'character' as a piece of wood, and not something someone has to ask  "Is that really wood?"    Reminds me of that poem  "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree."   

4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Rabs -  that piece of wood is amazing.  Hope you can do something with it while retaining its 'character' as a piece of wood, and not something someone has to ask  "Is that really wood?"    Reminds me of that poem  "I think that I shall never see a poem as lovely as a tree."   

It will very possibly become a Double Cut guitar of some kind...  🙂

4 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

I love Double Cuts……….

yYEgLrl.jpg

Yeah me too...  I do like the Coronet but prefer the ones that have equal sized horns..  The ones above always look a bit stubby (well to me anyway). In looking at the above one I feel the body should be a bit longer and the neck set in to the body a few frets.

5 minutes ago, Rabs said:

Yeah me too...  I do like the Coronet but prefer the ones that have equal sized horns..  The ones above always look a bit stubby (well to me anyway). In looking at the above one I feel the body should be a bit longer and the neck set in to the body a few frets.

I like equal sized horns as well, like this 58 Coronet. I acquired a basket case version of a 58 that I refinished in black with a natural neck and installed humbuckings in the late 70’s, wish I still had it.

epiphone-coronet-1958-1969-42484.jpeg

Recovering from my Fauci Ouchie and am coming back to life.

Makes me want to strap on a six shooter and go to Colorado and hop off my cow and  go wrangle a horse after a few beers at the Shooter's Grill.  Opal, you hot little *****!!!

Edited by SteveFord

My wife and I have come down with what is, in all likelihood Covid.

So besides staying curled up in bed, I took the time this morning to cancel a physio. appointment for tomorrow, advise our Daughter-in-law that I can't take the girls to their music lessons tomorrow, and tell three people running summer hockey games that I can't play this week.

I am not a happy camper.

RBSinTo

Having coffee, recovering from a chest infection, Covid test negative, I feel pretty good today, weekend practice our vocalist was exceptional.

Watching the new “The Batman” movie, he has a new rear-engined musclecar. Very dark intercity feel to the movie.

Edited by mihcmac

1) Woke up late, lovely sunny day.  Porridge toast tea.

2) Checked email to find that Royal Mail UK have not delivered the fx pedal I sold on ebay (Boss OC-2) and are returning it to me.  Address incomplete - correct house but no flat/apartment number so they couldn't get a delivery signature.  Learned of this via the buyer who is frantically messaging me on ebay.   Will re-send with corrected address as soon as I get it back, buyer has offered to pay half of postage.  Thanks but what a PITA.   Will have to wait in tomorrow for the delivery.

3) Daily swim.  80 lengths/2km.  Good.   Coffee back at home then collect prescription. What is with the traffic in this town these days?

4) Turned over soil in flowerbed.  Ground so damn hard and stony I really need a Kangol hammer not a mattock.  That got rid of a few  more calories.

5) Roasted chicken dinner. Now that's more like it.  Season the chicken skin with Dunn's River chicken seasoning, salt and fresh rosemary; fresh chopped mint on my boiled spuds.

6)  New 3-way crossovers for my stereo speakers delivered. Each of the pair is about the size of a tall paperback with 4 big caps and 4 coils.  I will have to solder all the speaker and output wiring directly onto the circuit board tracks which I've never done before.  There are 10 solder connections to make on each; 6 go to the 3 speakers (tweeter, mid, bass) and 4 go to the wiring posts on the cab backplate.   Should photograph and do a thread on these?

7) As I will have to mount these inside the speaker cabs I decide to go online and buy some self-tapping screws and spacing washers.  At which point my saved Amazon password is now WRONG (no idea why but it does this every few months, have they set a time limit so you have to change it?) and it takes me 30 mins to sort out a new one and finally sign in.  Another PITA!!

8 )  Read BBC news, realise how incredibly lucky I am/we are in the UK as we are not getting invaded, bombed and/or pointlessly killed.  What a completely stupid, tragic waste of lives and resources.  Humans cannot afford to do this sh*t to each other and the planet anymore, EVER, anywhere for any reason.  Most of us do know better.

9) Sod it I'm going to have a beer. 

Best wishes to all, enjoy the spring while we have the opportunity.

Edited by jdgm

I went into a brick and mortar music store to get some picks and bought a Yamaha Bass.

?image=aHR0cHM6Ly9tLm1lZGlhLWFtYXpvbi5jb

I was captivated by the quality of this inexpensive Bass because the neck felt like my thin necked 59 P-Bass, the sound of the P & J pickups and the wonderful balance the long horn provides.

Edited by mihcmac

We're 'babysitting' our 10 y/o granddaughter for a few hours mid-day while her Mom gets a makeover and our son rides his bike 50 miles up in the Hill Country.  I am making two visits to our daughter's house while she and her family are gone for 12 hours attending a funeral outside of Huntsville.  Visits are to let their 4 dogs out in the backyard, then back inside.  One of them - they just got last night from the city's  Animal Care Services.   Where the dogs usually last about a week.  One way or the other.   This one was full of ticks.  Shelter never claims to know the breed - everything is half 'lab' or  'pit bull'.  They guessed this one is Great Pyrenees/Lab.   Looks more like a white Golden Retriever  puppy.  They will not let you have a dog unless they 'fix' it.  (Many believe dogs shouldn't be fixed as puppies - it affects their normal growth and future health).   So, they do the surgery and release the dog a couple of hours later, covered in ticks, and tell you that you cannot bathe it or use any medications on it for 10 days.   This is the 'customer service' you get when you combine government workers and volunteers.   I'm hoping daughter and grandson found and removed all the ticks last night - they spent around 3 hours - so I don't bring any home to our 3 dogs.  

I had a small clear out of a cupboard I havent cleared out for ages.. Like years..

Found out as I had forgotten I do actually have a fender shaped object in my home.. Sadly it was something I picked up from a friend who passed away in 2018.. Totally forgot about it...

It is actually a Fender of sorts (but not really)  🙂  What I may do with it is assuming the electrics and tuners are crap.. Do it up and give it a nice upgrade and then give it to my niece who will start her lessons soon.

PNqfKSQ.jpg

ytFfRVO.jpg

ZwBryYc.jpg

8KWNeZw.jpg

• Like 1