Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

It's good to read that everyone seems to be doing well though this craziness. I've settled in to my new work-from-home job and my permanent hours are 07:00 - 11:00 M-F.  That's all this old guy can handle and I'm sure glad training is over. I finished my first full week of "Production" yesterday.

I haven't played in well over a week and my favorite Strat is calling me.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

My wife said she will buy me my new guitar tonight as I got nothing for my 67th Birthday.  I went to Guitar Center &  Dietz Music, Neither place had a Epiphone Riviera Custom P93. Sweetwater has one for $599.00 and Dietz said they can order me one at the same price. I'd get it in a week. Now...which one?  I've never ordered from Sweetwater before? 

17 hours ago, Marky Forrest said:

It's good to read that everyone seems to be doing well though this craziness. I've settled in to my new work-from-home job and my permanent hours are 07:00 - 11:00 M-F.  That's all this old guy can handle and I'm sure glad training is over. I finished my first full week of "Production" yesterday.

I haven't played in well over a week and my favorite Strat is calling me.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Good for you getting back into the work rhythm, it's tough if you though you were done with it...  good luck with it.   Now hop you were able to give that strat a proper workout!

14 hours ago, Retired said:

My wife said she will buy me my new guitar tonight as I got nothing for my 67th Birthday.  I went to Guitar Center &  Dietz Music, Neither place had a Epiphone Riviera Custom P93. Sweetwater has one for $599.00 and Dietz said they can order me one at the same price. I'd get it in a week. Now...which one?  I've never ordered from Sweetwater before? 

If Dietz is a local shop, I'd give them my business.  Always had good luck with sweetwater - but right now I'm trying to throw my money to some of the smaller guys.   Regardless, Epi Rivieara Custom P93 - woooo hoooo!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Good for you getting back into the work rhythm, it's tough if you though you were done with it...  good luck with it.   Now hop you were able to give that strat a proper workout!

If Dietz is a local shop, I'd give them my business.  Always had good luck with sweetwater - but right now I'm trying to throw my money to some of the smaller guys.   Regardless, Epi Rivieara Custom P93 - woooo hoooo!

Thanks! I was retired for 5 years but my situation changed drastically (divorce) and had to go back to work. I'm very fortunate to have found a good-paying job that I can do part-time.

I agree with supporting your local shop if it makes sense. I like Sweetwater a lot but, this time, I'd say buy from your local guy/gal. My local shop had to move 9 miles further away because of rent increases but I still support them when I can. There's really something to be said for the old mom and pop stores and I sure don't want them to disappear altogether.

2 hours ago, Marky Forrest said:

Thanks! I was retired for 5 years but my situation changed drastically (divorce) and had to go back to work. I'm very fortunate to have found a good-paying job that I can do part-time.

I agree with supporting your local shop if it makes sense. I like Sweetwater a lot but, this time, I'd say buy from your local guy/gal. My local shop had to move 9 miles further away because of rent increases but I still support them when I can. There's really something to be said for the old mom and pop stores and I sure don't want them to disappear altogether.

Glad to hear you have some security with your work, these times can be very trying and hard on people. Sometimes when I was in-between bands or just bored, I used take my rig and plug-in at one of the Ramada's in Papago Park an let out some self expression.

I bought a few sets of strings recently, at one of the brick and mortar stores in my area, that has survived by doing call in orders. Quite a few shops here are suffering as they rely on tourist trade that is gone.

Got to play my red Les Paul through some tubes in the open air, it was quite refreshing.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, uncle fester said:

Thanks. Both were the exact same prices and I told them when she got out of her Quilt sewing class, I would let her decide which one she wanted to order it from.  Dietz Music won! 

We ordered it yesterday  June 13.  It should be here before or by next weekend and they will call me and open the box to check it out.  It will be my first Custom guitar and with 3, P-90's in it. Wine Red. 

21 minutes ago, Retired said:

Thanks. Both were the exact same prices and I told them when she got out of her Quilt sewing class, I would let her decide which one she wanted to order it from.  Dietz Music won! 

We ordered it yesterday  June 13.  It should be here before or by next weekend and they will call me and open the box to check it out.  It will be my first Custom guitar and with 3, P-90's in it. Wine Red. 

Nice. My wife quilts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Nice. My wife quilts.

Great. I actually felt bad because she is making me  2 quilts.  I had to go with her to pick out all the materials for a Guitar quilt way back. Yep, I asked for it but had no idea what was all involved in it.  She has to sew paper patterns on the back of each material first. I picked out fabrics  I wanted on the Gold Top, My Surf Green Jaguar, the wine red Gretsch and the Koa top acoustic. It's going to be gorgeous when done but she wants to do this bull Elephant quilt first to learn how to do the guitar quilt for me.  Now the guitar coming?  I'll have to do something special for her! I'm doing a painting for her to hang in our new kitchen, I took Art all through school from the 2nd grade up and won a scholarship in it. I am painting our farm we had in South Dakota and the photo I have goes back to horse and buggy.  The 1800's.  She should love that.

15 minutes ago, Retired said:

Great. I actually felt bad because she is making me  2 quilts.  I had to go with her to pick out all the materials for a Guitar quilt way back. Yep, I asked for it but had no idea what was all involved in it.  She has to sew paper patterns on the back of each material first. I picked out fabrics  I wanted on the Gold Top, My Surf Green Jaguar, the wine red Gretsch and the Koa top acoustic. It's going to be gorgeous when done but she wants to do this bull Elephant quilt first to learn how to do the guitar quilt for me.  Now the guitar coming?  I'll have to do something special for her! I'm doing a painting for her to hang in our new kitchen, I took Art all through school from the 2nd grade up and won a scholarship in it. I am painting our farm we had in South Dakota and the photo I have goes back to horse and buggy.  The 1800's.  She should love that.

I envy your painting talent, everything I've seen of yours is amazing work.

• Like 1

Yesterday I mowed the important bits of the front yard.  Mowed most of the backyard today, and cleaned up the area around this little tree.  At the memorial service for a late good friend of mine awhile back, they gave out trees, as he loved the outdoors.  Somewhat miraculously, it has survived my brown thumb. 

104118064_10158345488533879_589049310903

15 hours ago, Retired said:

My wife made me one a few years back. Since I was is the Navy and Coast Guard it has nautical squares on it, but since I love music and play she stitched it with musical notes.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife made me one a few years back. Since I was is the Navy and Coast Guard it has nautical squares on it, but since I love music and play she stitched it with musical notes.

That would be cool. I told her I would work with her and help on the guitar quilt. Maybe since I was an artist? She comes to me a lot with her Quilt questions asking things. I'm not sure yet  what sewing pattern I want on the guitars. When it's done though, I want it over my chair where I play the most. 

27 minutes ago, Retired said:

That would be cool. I told her I would work with her and help on the guitar quilt. Maybe since I was an artist? She comes to me a lot with her Quilt questions asking things. I'm not sure yet  what sewing pattern I want on the guitars. When it's done though, I want it over my chair where I play the most. 

Mine is in my man cave I use it when I'm cold. 

Yep.  My wife started making quilts 15 years or so ago.  Mine was one of the first.  She's made one for each of our 4 kids and 8 of our 9 grandkids.  Youngest just turned 1.  She gets better at it with each one.   Incorporates embroidery and appliqué.  Whatever that is....   

24 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Yep.  My wife started making quilts 15 years or so ago.  Mine was one of the first.  She's made one for each of our 4 kids and 8 of our 9 grandkids.  Youngest just turned 1.  She gets better at it with each one.   Incorporates embroidery and appliqué.  Whatever that is....   

It's French for fancy stuff that goes on quilts.

52 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

She comes up with all sorts of names I ask, "Whats That?" So I get an education with quilting.  She's always asking me about color schemes, which way does it look best?  What sewing pattern should I put on? That's cool I guess? 

27 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

It's French for fancy stuff that goes on quilts.

Bet our wives would love each other as women are always seeking out to sew together and get ideas. Debbie just came home from her friends house, Dorthy. They were sewing together today. She is still learning. Her first quilt she made won first place in her class. Deb's Grandmother sewed quilts also so she grew up around it. 

24 minutes ago, Retired said:

She comes up with all sorts of names I ask, "Whats That?" So I get an education with quilting.  She's always asking me about color schemes, which way does it look best?  What sewing pattern should I put on? That's cool I guess? 

Bet our wives would love each other as women are always seeking out to sew together and get ideas. Debbie just came home from her friends house, Dorthy. They were sewing together today. She is still learning. Her first quilt she made won first place in her class. Deb's Grandmother sewed quilts also so she grew up around it. 

My wife goes to the Mid- Alantic quilting  show every year in Hampton, VA.