Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?


Mr. Gibson
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

My wife bought me mine. There fun but frustrating.

 

Mine wouldn't.  Not the best CFMartin, not some OM-36 bound ebony three piece back, not ever.  She is wise in the ways of rct.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I miss my D-35. Then I look at my 41 and I'm okay again.

 

Yeah, that could work.  I would like a D-35 someday, but Dreads are big on me, even standing and thrashing around like the hard rock acoustic arpeggiator that I am.  I may just run into one and buy it one of these days.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rct said:

 

Yeah, that could work.  I would like a D-35 someday, but Dreads are big on me, even standing and thrashing around like the hard rock acoustic arpeggiator that I am.  I may just run into one and buy it one of these days.

rct

You get used to em. My 000 is way more comfortable. But a dreads just project.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

12 String Guitar players  -   spend half their time tuning it, and half their time playing out of tune. 

Surprisingly, my Yamaha FG 820 stays in tune.  I rarely ever have to retune. I put strings on it once so far and had it a year and a half.  Of course I don't play it everyday either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, rct said:

Jesus Sarge, they're up to 3 grand now.  Holy crap I should have bought that one many years ago for 1600.

rct

I got mine for 2k. It was a demo. My J 12er, I think is the same  body size as your M-36. Those are Martin's best kept secrets.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My SG had pretty significant neck dive.  Didn't bother me much because I'm not still long anyway.  A 12 must have some good dive with all them t00ners.  And all them strings.  Jesus I'm tired just thinking about playing one of them.  I don't know how you acoustic mavens do it.

rct

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, rct said:

My SG had pretty significant neck dive.  Didn't bother me much because I'm not still long anyway.  A 12 must have some good dive with all them t00ners.  And all them strings.  Jesus I'm tired just thinking about playing one of them.  I don't know how you acoustic mavens do it.

rct

You think a Martin D is big. I owned a GuildJF-30. Those Guilds are like Gibson SJ-200's. And built like a tank.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, rct said:

I don't even pick up Jumbos, haven't since I was a kid.  Looks like a damn trash can lid on me, like a 335 does.

rct

I can't imagine the weight of a Guild 12-string all that Maple more wood on the headstock, twice and as many tuners.

Yeah BB was down right huge.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Had a Martin 12 string for a couple years.  Just couldn’t get accustomed to holding down 12 strings.  I have enough trouble with six.  It’s not that it got out-of-tune easily, because it seemed Tom hold its tune pretty well.  I guess I just didn’t want to spend the time necessary to get at least adequate with it.  I’ve always liked the sound of John Denver’s Guild when he ‘d use it and folks like Lightfoot, but I can’t play at their level.  Also, I see the 12 string as more of a situational instrument and not one to be used for every song, unless maybe the player is a Roy Clark or Glen Campbell.   Anyway, there are some sweet sounding 12 strings, but I think it takes time and practice to get the sound you want.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

 Had a Martin 12 string for a couple years.  Just couldn’t get accustomed to holding down 12 strings.  I have enough trouble with six.  It’s not that it got out-of-tune easily, because it seemed Tom hold its tune pretty well.  I guess I just didn’t want to spend the time necessary to get at least adequate with it.  I’ve always liked the sound of John Denver’s Guild when he ‘d use it and folks like Lightfoot, but I can’t play at their level.  Also, I see the 12 string as more of a situational instrument and not one to be used for every song, unless maybe the player is a Roy Clark or Glen Campbell.   Anyway, there are some sweet sounding 12 strings, but I think it takes time and practice to get the sound you want.

 Yep. Glen Campbell, a former studio musician, put out TWO  albums (33 1/3rpm  vinyl- remember?)  of  him playing one 12 string, nothing else.  A dozen folk classics on each one. No vocals - just him and his guitar.  Amazing what he could do with that instrument - great versatility.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

 Yep. Glen Campbell, a former studio musician, put out TWO  albums (33 1/3rpm  vinyl- remember?)  of  him playing one 12 string, nothing else.  A dozen folk classics on each one. No vocals - just him and his guitar.  Amazing what he could do with that instrument - great versatility.  

Glen was part of The Wrecking Crew. He was a killer player and singer. Love Witchita Lineman. He toured as a Beach Boy for a hot minute in the 60's.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

 Had a Martin 12 string for a couple years.  Just couldn’t get accustomed to holding down 12 strings.  I have enough trouble with six.  It’s not that it got out-of-tune easily, because it seemed Tom hold its tune pretty well.  I guess I just didn’t want to spend the time necessary to get at least adequate with it.  I’ve always liked the sound of John Denver’s Guild when he ‘d use it and folks like Lightfoot, but I can’t play at their level.  Also, I see the 12 string as more of a situational instrument and not one to be used for every song, unless maybe the player is a Roy Clark or Glen Campbell.   Anyway, there are some sweet sounding 12 strings, but I think it takes time and practice to get the sound you want.

I would like to be able to afford a nice Martin.  Even a Guild. I do love the Guild tones. Someday? The easiest 12 string, I ever owned to play was my Ovation Celebrity or whatever it was called when I was around 18. I played it a lot. It had a very nice sound and electric to. Back in the 70's though, I think they put larger bellies under them than the ones today.  I used to listen to Roy Clark a lot. Such an awesome player. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...