Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

2 hours ago, uncle fester said:

ripped half the front bumper off my car when it caught on a rock as I was backing up out of the driveway at a friends house...  ooof.  Made for a good reason for a nice G&T this afternoon though.

Backing up can be very dangerous. In January I was backing through a friends gate, I got out of the car running with the door open and was opening the gate when I noticed my cars was moving. At first I thought it was just rolling then realized it was in gear. Being behind it, by the time I could get in and stop it, the door caught the gate and it had folded the door into the front quarter panel. Being a 2014, but with very low miles, it had a few other things that needed to be repaired, so anyway 6gs later including new paint it looks like a new car again.

I hope this story eases your pain, as I felt really stupid after trashing my car..

sYH1BLY.jpg

Edited by mihcmac

I had to go to the top to see what the thread was, Haha. Well, still no guitar. Was supposed to come in last week.  Getting a bit nervous now.  I got an Ok from the wife as she went off to her quilting class, and being a collector. I went to the gun shop and bought a FNX full size  .45 that came with 3 - 15 round magazines. At least I can go target shooting while I have these boring days. 

3 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Backing up can be very dangerous. In January I was backing through a friends gate, I got out of the car running with the door open and was opening the gate when I noticed my cars was moving. At first I thought it was just rolling then realized it was in gear. Being behind it, by the time I could get in and stop it, the door caught the gate and it had folded the door into the front quarter panel. Being a 2014, but with very low miles, it had a few other things that needed to be repaired, so anyway 6gs later including new paint it looks like a new car again.

I hope this story eases your pain, as I felt really stupid after trashing my car..

sYH1BLY.jpg

That looks great now.  Our in laws, way before we knew them. Told a story that he bought a new Ferrari and let his friend drive it one day.  His friend, totaled the car.  Now Mark won't buy anything more expensive than a Mercedes Benz. 

5 hours ago, Retired said:

That looks great now.  Our in laws, way before we knew them. Told a story that he bought a new Ferrari and let his friend drive it one day.  His friend, totaled the car.  Now Mark won't buy anything more expensive than a Mercedes Benz. 

These aren't all that expensive, you could probably get at least a couple of them for the price of a Mercedes...

11 hours ago, mihcmac said:

sYH1BLY.jpg

I appreciate the thoughts.  Brain farts happen...  no guitars were injured so all is good.  Wouldn't mind taking your ride around for a little spin...  it does look like it would stick to the roads.  I'll promise not to put it in reverse.

4 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

I think I witnessed the Japanese guitar market in action last night:

I've been watching 3 really nice guitars on eBay and last night POOF!  somebody snagged all 3 Buy It Now.

Thank you...

Was it you, and will there be a triple NGD again sometime soon?!?  I'm thinking probably not - but I'm hoping so

No, not me.  I could see a triple guitar Month, though.  

I have one coming  this Tuesday and will probably get another one this upcoming weekend.  One good acoustic, maybe a dozen good electrics  and that should be enough for a lifetime of entertainment.

I sold off a lot of nice guitars to keep the sinking ship afloat back in 2009.  I've made up my mind to replace them while I'm still above ground.

It looks like everything got shipped off the Japan and then they jacked the prices way up.  The US sellers took a look at the Japanese prices and decided to follow suit.  I wonder how many of those Gibsons in Japan actually get resold?   I can't imagine anyone in the US importing one.

This is also a really strange year with the guitar stores all being closed so people aren't running around swapping them out for whatever catches their eye at the moment.  The economy hasn't imploded yet, ,either.  I suspect we'll see an awful lot of collections being liquidated in the not too distant future.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that GOTW Firebird posted a while ago used to be mine.  The wood pattern opposite the control knobs is pretty distinctive.  Beautiful guitar but I just could not come to grips with playing it no matter how long I struggled with it.  It had a wide, shallow neck with really tall frets.   It seemed like it was made with playing slide in mind.

Oh well, better get ready to go get a swab stuck up my nose.  Something's not right but the wife says it's not the dreaded Corn Virus.  

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

It looks like everything got shipped off the Japan and then they jacked the prices way up.  The US sellers took a look at the Japanese prices and decided to follow suit.  I wonder how many of those Gibsons in Japan actually get resold?   I can't imagine anyone in the US importing one.

YaY.  It's the 90's again.

rct

11 hours ago, mihcmac said:

These aren't all that expensive, you could probably get at least a couple of them for the price of a Mercedes...

No, I wasn't referring it to be an expensive car, Just that you had it messed up badly and felt bad and Mark had his totaled and felt bad.  Our son asked him way back if he could afford a Ferrari.  Mark told him that story and afterwards, He said, John. If I wanted, I could buy the Ferrari dealership out and every Ferrari they made.  He won't confess what his real worth is to anyone. 

9 hours ago, uncle fester said:

I appreciate the thoughts.  Brain farts happen...  no guitars were injured so all is good.  Wouldn't mind taking your ride around for a little spin...  it does look like it would stick to the roads.  I'll promise not to put it in reverse.

No guitars were injured in mine either. My FRS was designed for drifting by a partnership between Toyota and Subaru. It is rear wheel drive with a Subaru Boxer engine giving it very low center of gravity, so it handles like a Porsch. Mine is a Scion but there is also a Toyota  and Subaru version the "86" and the "BRZ". Great fun to drive and you don't have to be a drifter..

Edited by mihcmac

27 minutes ago, Retired said:

No, I wasn't referring it to be an expensive car, Just that you had it messed up badly and felt bad and Mark had his totaled and felt bad.  Our son asked him way back if he could afford a Ferrari.  Mark told him that story and afterwards, He said, John. If I wanted, I could buy the Ferrari dealership out and every Ferrari they made.  He won't confess what his real worth is to anyone. 

Yep I felt bad, specially after seeing the body guys drooling over it and wanting to take part in the restoration. They did a beautiful job on it and four of them watched as I took delivery, probably wondering why an old man was driving it. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac

59 minutes ago, Brian Krashpad said:

Took a photo of one of my guitars for a funsies "photo competition" in a fb group I'm in.  Totally half-assed it though.

79748008_10158386793328879_7405870288753

Nice enough for me [thumbup]

Is that scratchplate reflecting some plants or is it the design?

It rained today but later I was able to mow da lawn.  Made a nice salad, took some calls - I am 66 tomorrow.  Now having a beer.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, jdgm said:

Nice enough for me [thumbup]

Is that scratchplate reflecting some plants or is it the design?

It rained today but later I was able to mow da lawn.  Made a nice salad, took some calls - I am 66 tomorrow.  Now having a beer.

Happy Birthday tomorrow. I'll make a martini in your honor in a few minutes. Just got home from a bike ride (the pedal kind), fresh out of the shower. Gonna strum the D-18 in a bit.

9 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Yep I felt bad, specially after seeing the body guys drooling over it and wanting to take part in the restoration. They did a beautiful job on it and four of them watched as I took delivery, probably wondering why an old man was driving it. 🙂

Here is a true story. Never told anyone before.  I'm safe here haha. Coming home from the Railroad in Lincoln Ne. to Omaha with 3 carpool guys, I was worn out and tired. Playing music and trying my best to stay awake. Made it back to Omaha and was happy I made it,  the other three guys were all asleep.  Cant say why?  Suddenly I just passed out. My Saturn Vue hit the middle concrete divider and of course woke me up immediately and I was trying to get control of the car pulling over on the side of the road.  The exit ramp was there so I rolled up to it stopping.  Of course everyone was awake now and we got out to see my front drivers tire all split open.  Absolutely No damage on the SUV.  Not even a scratch.  No one saw the car hit the divider and thought it was a faulty tire blowing out.  I got praises from all 3 guys of doing a fantastic job of controlling the car with a blow out at 65 MPH and no one getting hurt.  Of course I was totally embarrassed but kept my mouth shut. Lol, Better to be a hero instead of an idiot right? 

• Like 2