Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Hotter than a firecracker today, with high humidity. Thought that I would take the dog out for a short walk and he refused to let me put his leash on. So I guess he is smarter than I am, he does not want to go out for a walk, and that is not at all like him.  He is enjoying the air conditioning and is not going to go, simple as that.

IMG_8331.JPG

• Like 2

Since I bought the DSL 40C, yesterday, I went ahead and listed one of my amps (a big ol' Marshall Mosfet 100W 2x12 Reverb Twin)  for sale on a bunch of local facebook sale pages, as I have so much gear, I'm pretty much at "one in, one out" territory.  To my surprise, I have a potential buyer coming out tomorrow to look at it!

When people respond to a sale listing via fb, I always do a quick cyber-stalk just to see who I'm dealing with.  This is a young kid, in his 20s.  To my surprise, on his facebook page he is wearing a Crass shirt (they were a UK anarcho-punk band back in the late '70s/early '80s).  Crass are far from my favorite band, as they're a lot more arty/Situationist than I prefer, but the idea that the Mosfet Marshall could be going from an old punk rocker to a young punk rocker (with an appreciation for music made before he was born) I have to admit is appealing to me.

Meanwhile, since the Mosfet 2x12 could be gone by this time tomorrow, I thought I'd take a ridiculous "Marshall stack" pic with all 5 combos I own.

So I did.  😉  👍

110308778_10158441059988879_396969292782

• Like 2

On 6/29/2020 at 1:06 AM, Retired said:

Here is a true story. Never told anyone before.  I'm safe here haha. Coming home from the Railroad in Lincoln Ne. to Omaha with 3 carpool guys, I was worn out and tired. Playing music and trying my best to stay awake. Made it back to Omaha and was happy I made it,  the other three guys were all asleep.  Cant say why?  Suddenly I just passed out. My Saturn Vue hit the middle concrete divider and of course woke me up immediately and I was trying to get control of the car pulling over on the side of the road.  The exit ramp was there so I rolled up to it stopping.  Of course everyone was awake now and we got out to see my front drivers tire all split open.  Absolutely No damage on the SUV.  Not even a scratch.  No one saw the car hit the divider and thought it was a faulty tire blowing out.  I got praises from all 3 guys of doing a fantastic job of controlling the car with a blow out at 65 MPH and no one getting hurt.  Of course I was totally embarrassed but kept my mouth shut. Lol, Better to be a hero instead of an idiot right? 

Pulled a double shift, worked all night into afternoon next day. I was wiped. Figured double espresso would keep me bright eyed on the 45 minute drive home. Driving along through NYC, to the George Wash. Bridge, and head north. Doing 35 on a local route. Hear something and realize that my front tire is blown, my front passenger side fender is shredded, and I’m now wide awake. Pull over, assess damage, throw on the donut and head home. Wife ask what happen? Am I alright?  Told her that a deer jumped in front of me and I ate the barrier. To this day she says I’m full of it. 

1 hour ago, Ordy said:

Pulled a double shift, worked all night into afternoon next day. I was wiped. Figured double espresso would keep me bright eyed on the 45 minute drive home. Driving along through NYC, to the George Wash. Bridge, and head north. Doing 35 on a local route. Hear something and realize that my front tire is blown, my front passenger side fender is shredded, and I’m now wide awake. Pull over, assess damage, throw on the donut and head home. Wife ask what happen? Am I alright?  Told her that a deer jumped in front of me and I ate the barrier. To this day she says I’m full of it. 

Haha,  I worked a ton of double shifts at Burlington.  Left home at 3:00 to start at 4:00pm and got off at 7:00am.  Just to do it all over again 5 days in a row.  One day on the way home I saw an adult Eagle in the medium along the Interstate.  Looked like he was just getting ready to take off over the 3 lanes.  With the long wingspan he was getting up too fast and I hit the brakes some to slow down from 70  to 55 or 60.  I wanted to give him plenty of room but but he hit me anyway taking out my entire windshield. Their were plenty of cars in the 3 lanes so it wasn't like I could swirve out of its way.  The windshield was all pushed in and cracked so I couldn't see through it.  I had to get over on the side, looking out the driver side window at a slow speed  to drive the rest of the way home  for 25 to 30 miles.  The insurance place was open so I got a new windshield that day.  They wanted to know what happened to the windshield when I drove up to the place.  That was my 2nd windshield that year.  A truck ruined the first one tossing a rock through one side.  The woes of driving the interstate 5 days a week for 34 years. 

On 6/29/2020 at 12:06 AM, Retired said:

Here is a true story. Never told anyone before.  I'm safe here haha. Coming home from the Railroad in Lincoln Ne. to Omaha with 3 carpool guys, I was worn out and tired. Playing music and trying my best to stay awake. Made it back to Omaha and was happy I made it,  the other three guys were all asleep.  Cant say why?  Suddenly I just passed out. My Saturn Vue hit the middle concrete divider and of course woke me up immediately and I was trying to get control of the car pulling over on the side of the road.  The exit ramp was there so I rolled up to it stopping.  Of course everyone was awake now and we got out to see my front drivers tire all split open.  Absolutely No damage on the SUV.  Not even a scratch.  No one saw the car hit the divider and thought it was a faulty tire blowing out.  I got praises from all 3 guys of doing a fantastic job of controlling the car with a blow out at 65 MPH and no one getting hurt.  Of course I was totally embarrassed but kept my mouth shut. Lol, Better to be a hero instead of an idiot right? 

Your story reminds me of when I drove OTR.  Drove for right at thirty years, most of it for Swift.   Back then we kept paper log books  to show that we were not driving too long without sleep or too fast.   Highway Patrol and DOT watched things closely.  However, ( and I’m not condoning this.  It’s just the way things were) , we kept 2-3 log books so we could keep moving.  The only way to make good money was to keep your truck moving. If the wheels were not turning, you were not making any money.  Anyway, there were times as any former OTR driver from those years  can tell you, (if they’ll admit it) when you’d been driving for 15-16 hours straight and you kind of get into your own Twilight Zone.  Then, all of a sudden at 3am in the morning you find yourself in Cicero, Il., south of Chicago and you don’t even recall driving through Chicago, but you did.  The moral is, keep your distance from the semi trucks.   If you intend to pass him, sit  back behind himfor a minute or two and watch his trailer.   If it’s saying a lot, barely staying in it’s lane, the driver might be very tired.  Give him a wide berth when you pass.  Lots of damn good truck drivers, but they’re only human.

18 hours ago, pappy said:

Hotter than a firecracker today, with high humidity. Thought that I would take the dog out for a short walk and he refused to let me put his leash on. So I guess he is smarter than I am, he does not want to go out for a walk, and that is not at all like him.  He is enjoying the air conditioning and is not going to go, simple as that.

IMG_8331.JPG

That pic should be in an ad for an air conditioner! The "yeah, RIGHT" A.C.

10 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Your story reminds me of when I drove OTR.  Drove for right at thirty years, most of it for Swift.   Back then we kept paper log books  to show that we were not driving too long without sleep or too fast.   Highway Patrol and DOT watched things closely.  However, ( and I’m not condoning this.  It’s just the way things were) , we kept 2-3 log books so we could keep moving.  The only way to make good money was to keep your truck moving. If the wheels were not turning, you were not making any money.  Anyway, there were times as any former OTR driver from those years  can tell you, (if they’ll admit it) when you’d been driving for 15-16 hours straight and you kind of get into your own Twilight Zone.  Then, all of a sudden at 3am in the morning you find yourself in Cicero, Il., south of Chicago and you don’t even recall driving through Chicago, but you did.  The moral is, keep your distance from the semi trucks.   If you intend to pass him, sit  back behind himfor a minute or two and watch his trailer.   If it’s saying a lot, barely staying in it’s lane, the driver might be very tired.  Give him a wide berth when you pass.  Lots of damn good truck drivers, but they’re only human.

Yep, I've seen tons of truck drivers, I tried to stay way back and when I did pass them, I did it fast. I was forced off the road by 2 of them before. Most of my life has been driving interstates. Going drag racing or showing dogs all over also. Drove from Council Bluffs Iowa to Colorado Springs after work and all night long in an ice storm at 25mph to pick up my Arrow Dynamics tube chassis & 12 point roll cage for the Dodge Colt.  Those were the days!

30 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I'm on vacation and visiting my home state of Michigan. I got so nostalgic that I rubbed one out in my childhood bedroom. Wasn't the same as 45 years ago.

Haven't been to MI in ages. The Henry Ford Museum is on point.

2 minutes ago, Retired said:

Congratulations. 4th week and still no guitar yet. I'm going to go in and ask about it tomorrow. 

I saw something at Musicians Friend and Guitar Center saying availability after the 20th..

My new Marshall is a replacement for my HoneyTone as my walking around amp.. So far it sounds better to me for my style of playing..

rnny8vo.jpg

• Haha 1

Like I said, I went into Dietze today. The guitar came from China which we weren't told that and is now sitting somewhere in California and they are in a lockdown.   That could last until next year? I can get a full refund and choose something else. 

That little Marshall looks like something out of Spinal Tap with that miniature Stonehenge bit.

Woke up stupidly early, played guitar, worked, fed snakes which have grown to be surprisingly large, worked some more, slept, going to play guitar and go back to sleep.

Also schemed on my next guitar purchase or three.  Go with a (kinda) reasonbly priced one, a fairly expensive one and then a real expensive one or just get the real expensive one and call it a day?  I don't want to wind up with a room full of case queens but I also would like to fill the retirement treasure chest to keep me entertained.  Sure doesn't look like I'm going to be touring the USA on a motorcycle like I was originally planning on doing.

Might as well buy guitars and hang out and play them.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2020 at 5:49 PM, Big Bill said:

I'm on vacation and visiting my home state of Michigan. I got so nostalgic that I rubbed one out in my childhood bedroom. Wasn't the same as 45 years ago.

Where at in Michigan Bill? Our daughter in laws parents live close to Naperville but are actually in Michigan at the boarder with Lake Michigan almost overlooking their back yard.  They live basically  at a golf course. 

19 hours ago, Retired said:

Like I said, I went into Dietze today. The guitar came from China which we weren't told that and is now sitting somewhere in California and they are in a lockdown.   That could last until next year? I can get a full refund and choose something else. 

The  Gibson factory in Qingdao China has been taking over production of all the new Asian built Epiphones, except the USA models, the factory opened in 2005.... If your Riviera made it to California, it shouldn't be too much longer..

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, mihcmac said:

The  Gibson factory in Qingdao China has been taking over production of all the new Asian built Epiphones, except the USA models, the factory opened in 2005.... If your Riviera made it to California, it shouldn't be too much longer..

Thats good news.  I went to Guitar Center to look at there stuff, In case I have to get a refund and buy something else.  Except 4 Gibsons that were $2,400. 00 and a whole line of nice Gretsch guitars, they didn't have that much to offer.  I did love a Guild 12 string at Dietze Music for $640.00 though. 

On 7/18/2020 at 7:48 PM, Retired said:

Where at in Michigan Bill? Our daughter in laws parents live close to Naperville but are actually in Michigan at the boarder with Lake Michigan almost overlooking their back yard.  They live basically  at a golf course. 

I'm from Detroit. Spent this vacation farther north in the Traverse City area.

6 hours ago, Big Bill said:

I'm from Detroit. Spent this vacation farther north in the Traverse City area.

I was in the Coast Guard, isn't there a CG Air Station there. I had to work at the base in Detroit a few times and my uncle lived outside Dearborne and I know this is a shocker he worked for Ford, in the export division.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Well, yesterday I ended up working all day because a client decided he wanted not one but two new court documents, drafted for a docket sounding today.  But at least it got me out of finishing mowing the backyard.  And made some dosh.

Speaking of same, my buyer for my 2x12 100W MOS-FET Marshall flaked on Friday, but a second guy PM'd me on facebook, drove up from Ocala (about an hour south of me in Gainesville, Florida), and bought!  So I only had that full compliment of five Marshall combos for less than a week, now I'm back down to four.  Given the whack state of the pandemic in this state, the whole transaction went down out in the driveway, masked.  And  further precautions were taken.  😉  👍

cash money Lysol dosh dsl deal garage.jpg

Edited by Brian Krashpad

5 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

Well, yesterday I ended up working all day because a client decided he wanted not one but two new court documents, drafted for a docket sounding today.  But at least it got me out of finishing mowing the backyard.  And made some dosh.

Speaking of same, my buyer for my 2x12 100W MOS-FET Marshall flaked on Friday, but a second guy PM'd me on facebook, drove up from Ocala (about an hour south of me in Gainesville, Florida), and bought!  So I only had that full compliment of five Marshall combos for less than a week, now I'm back down to four.  Given the whack state of the pandemic in this state, the whole transaction went down out in the driveway, masked.  And  further precautions were taken.  😉  👍

cash money Lysol dosh dsl deal garage.jpg

Wow, money laundering..

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mihcmac said:

Wow, money laundering..

We are super careful.  I'm 62 and had throat cancer 12 years or so ago, so I'm missing a lot of lymph nodes from surgery, and on top of that I'm on this weird drug regimen for osteoradionecrosis (the bones in my face are breaking down from radiation-- lower left jaw has been rebuilt with a piece of hipbone, and my neck on that side is actually my chest pectoral muscle, transplanted) that includes antibiotics, which also suppresses immune response.  My adult son is a greengrocer at Publix, and so moved out of the house because he is out in public regularly, and did not want to endanger me.

• Like 1