Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

That's a super nice collection of Custom Shop splendor.   Nice to see that I'm not the only Les Paul addict.

They do look good with the PG off, not necessarily more or less than on, but I'm just so used to resting my fingers on the PG I think I need it.

Edited by Black Dog
  • Thanks 1

@Black Dog@Mr Gibson,

Thanks for the kind words!  Yeah, just decided to take them off and let those nice tops breath a bit.  I think they look good with them on as well - as I usually have them - but IDK...  I was bored, haha!  Gave them a nice wipedown where the sun don't shine and enjoyed taking care of my nicest guitars.  They are a lot of fun to play too, so they aren't just case queens here.  I usually don't take them out of the house as I have other guitars that I don't worry so much about traveling with if God forbid something happened to them.  When I record, yeah no brainer to use my reissues...  They are truly awesome instruments.  But for the gig down the street, no problems taking the used LP Standard out on the town. 

And @Black Dog, definitely not alone in the addict department, haha!  I know you have some absolute beauts too and always appreciate it when you share some nice images of them.  Not too sure what my next venture will be, but you know GAS in not curable 😄 

Anyhow, cheers fellas, once again thanks for the compliments! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Seems like that's an everyday occurrence here....

It started off pretty a pretty mundane day but the govt appointed clean up contractors rang and that resulted in a mid morning meeting to sign permissions and to give instructions for how we want the cleanup of the buildings to proceed. That's all happening free for us and represents a significant saving. Once that is done in a month or so I’ll be ready to rebuild my farm shed!

Then the president of the local RSL (Returned Services League) popped in to see how we are and left us a modest (but gratefully received) cheque for assistance in our recovery. Nice bloke!

During the day 2 separate aid organisations deposited significant amounts into our bank for us, and  this is the “second" round. We are not used to taking charity but this money and other unexpected amounts from our insurance company are going to leave us better off than we were before. Of course part of that will be getting paid out for the cottage we lost and don’t intend to have rebuilt.

I tested my new JD zero turn mower on some long wet grass and was delighted to see it literally blast through, much better than the old one!

None of this was expected and we ended up having a bloody good day thanks to the generosity of the Australian people, and indeed others who contributed to our recovery.

Life ahead is looking much brighter!

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Digger said:

It started off pretty a pretty mundane day but the govt appointed clean up contractors rang and that resulted in a mid morning meeting to sign permissions and to give instructions for how we want the cleanup of the buildings to proceed. That's all happening free for us and represents a significant saving. Once that is done in a month or so I’ll be ready to rebuild my farm shed!

Then the president of the local RSL (Returned Services League) popped in to see how we are and left us a modest (but gratefully received) cheque for assistance in our recovery. Nice bloke!

During the day 2 separate aid organisations deposited significant amounts into our bank for us, and  this is the “second" round. We are not used to taking charity but this money and other unexpected amounts from our insurance company are going to leave us better off than we were before. Of course part of that will be getting paid out for the cottage we lost and don’t intend to have rebuilt.

I tested my new JD zero turn mower on some long wet grass and was delighted to see it literally blast through, much better than the old one!

None of this was expected and we ended up having a bloody good day thanks to the generosity of the Australian people, and indeed others who contributed to our recovery.

Life ahead is looking much brighter!

I'm glad things are working out,hoping the same for everyone else.  The loss of human life because of the fire is what truly is sad, prayers to those families that lost people. The animals that perished in the fire will take years to get back to normal population . But you know me I got no feelings for the snakes,but those bastards probably crawled down a hole and lived.

Met my girlfriends family this morning. We breakfasted together at their hotel. The kids drew me some pictures which I have at home now. 

Played guitar.

Then more family dropped by unexpectedly. Now enjoying coffee.

Shortly will walk to my son's house to feed the cats (he & fiance are sking in Austria). 

Then on to dance classes this evening.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

stared at the floor wondering where I went wrong with my life , got another cup of coffee. 

After I retired I found I spent too much time reflecting, my cure has been changing what I was doing and getting active, just doing anything different.

• Like 3

Sunday I took my Standard and my Marshall to play music with some friends. We hadn't played together before and they're mostly country players. I'm not a great country player so I turned down a little. The drummer said he needed to hear more Marshall and could I turn up a bit louder. I said, "Oh yeah, it'll get loud." I mostly followed along but played some CCR, Eagles, SRV and a lot of tunes they knew together. It was a lot of fun and way outside my comfort zone, which is a good thing. Played a gig with my band Friday night after being sick for 8 days straight. It was brutal. Today, relaxing, probably playing either the Goldtop or Strat tonight, or both, learning new songs for Thursday's rehearsal.

• Like 1

I did all the normal things then put my old Epi Black Beauty back together to get ready to sell.   When I was hot rodding it out a couple years ago, I screwed up the finish a bit around the control knobs.  In the process of trying to fix it, I made it worse (I'm good with mechanics and electronics, not finish work).   Worked on it for a while and got it a lot better but then I got frustrated and put it a away.  Pulled it out  the other day and it didn't look as bad as I remembered it, so I'll sell it as a "basket case" as is. 

My last Saturday jam starting up, the AC adaptor for my RK5 wasn't working so I just pushed my Stage Right 15 using my Blueshawk volume control for clean and drive. Anyway I had a great time and was pleased with how easily the amp filled in without all my usual effects..

DVZe0q4.jpg

Just got this image today, so posting is WTH I did today.. 🙂

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1

I cut out burned fence posts from 300  metres of fenceline yesterday morning. Then cut up some trees that had come down in the fire and moved them so I could get access with my tractor. Let me tell you that carrying a chainsaw for 600 metres didn’t do my back much good.

After a cuppa I took the tractor back down and removed a post that had star pickets either side of it.

All the while the shire were working on the front boundary chipping burned trees and foliage, cleaning up for me! There are a few bigger tree trunks left there for me to cut up and use for firewood.

My mate Tony came around later in the arvo and we moved all the twisted and tangled roof beams from the shed that were in the way.

A pretty productive day all told! Today I’m expecting $3.5k of fencing materials to be delivered and a volunteer group is doing the rebuilding.

(God bless them!)

Whatever I do today will be with machinery as my back won’t take 2 days in a row like that.

Good progress though!

• Like 1

On 2/18/2020 at 1:59 PM, mihcmac said:

After I retired I found I spent too much time reflecting, my cure has been changing what I was doing and getting active, just doing anything different.

staying active is important. my struggle is depression. it's beaten me up for decades.  it comes & goes ... todays a good day.  and to be honest, it was mainly meant as a little sardonic humor. 

Edited by Karloff
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Big Bill said:

I purchased a new glove for my right hand.

No Glove No Love.

Worked from Midnight to 5am. The Vice President came to our work establishment today. Glad I was already off and did not have to deal with that sh!t show He went to other buildings on the facility. I'll bet getting through the gate was a blast this morning. Now I'm back at work. Some stuff broke so we can't test right now. At least I don't have to stay here till 5am. Think I'll go get sushi for dinner.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Karloff said:

staying active is important. my struggle is depression. it's beaten me up for decades.  it comes & goes ... todays a good day.  and to be honest, it was mainly meant as a little sardonic humor. 

I have dealt with depression most of my life. I have found that standing right in front of a stack at full volume and playing some power chords blasting my body, but not my head, too much ear damage over the years. Believe it or not I actually do this. Also screaming at the top of my lungs helps...

Edited by mihcmac

Just now, mihcmac said:

I have dealt with depression most of my life. I have found that standing right in front of a stack at full volume and playing some power chords blasting my body, but not my head, too much ear damage over the years. Believe it or not I actually do this. Also screaming at the top of my lungs also helps...

Weed works too.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Digger said:

I cut out burned fence posts from 300  metres of fenceline yesterday morning. Then cut up some trees that had come down in the fire and moved them so I could get access with my tractor. Let me tell you that carrying a chainsaw for 600 metres didn’t do my back much good.

After a cuppa I took the tractor back down and removed a post that had star pickets either side of it.

All the while the shire were working on the front boundary chipping burned trees and foliage, cleaning up for me! There are a few bigger tree trunks left there for me to cut up and use for firewood.

My mate Tony came around later in the arvo and we moved all the twisted and tangled roof beams from the shed that were in the way.

A pretty productive day all told! Today I’m expecting $3.5k of fencing materials to be delivered and a volunteer group is doing the rebuilding.

(God bless them!)

Whatever I do today will be with machinery as my back won’t take 2 days in a row like that.

Good progress though!

Glad you're getting help,the lord moves in mysteries ways.