Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

WTH did you do today?

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, pappy said:

Damn, I got out  and took the dog for a ride, then went to the grocery store , now I am totally worn out, COVED is still hanging on, and at this point I am  not contagious, the fever had broken two days ago.  So just going out and doing an errand totally wore me out. But getting better, there is a lot of crap that continues to hang on, but at least I am not in the hospital.

You'll be back to normal before you know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Rabs -   that piece of wood is beautiful.  I'm currently working with a small piece of spalted pecan. Knife handle.  Oil stain really makes it POP !  

With that owl -   I'm seeing a custom J-45 with that as the back!   Never heard of beech being used as a tone  wood.  

Today, I'm hoping the index finger I stabbed with a scissor will be 'healed' enough to play.  Sometimes I'll go a day, maybe even 2 without picking up a guitar. But when I know I  CAN'T - it is very disturbing.   Makes me want to break house arrest !  

Yes it is  🙂   We sell all sorts of wood and you are right. When you get that sort of contrast in wood the light and dark bits really pop when oiled.. 

I did a Beech guitar once and I have sold several Beech body blanks on ebay. Its a fine "tonewood", just not traditional. Its certainly a nice hardness level.

 

 

We also currently have some lovely English Walnut that I have just started cleaning up after air drying.

Y0QLeQY.jpg

8a3lUEC.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Rabs said:

Yes it is  🙂   We sell all sorts of wood and you are right. When you get that sort of contrast in wood the light and dark bits really pop when oiled.. 

We also currently have some lovely English Walnut that I have just started cleaning up after air drying.

Y0QLeQY.jpg

8a3lUEC.jpg

Rabs,

Lots of interesting grain around knots & fissures. Is there any reason why they cant be incorporated into a body? I realise sometimes the gaps would be too open to fill properly, but does it present any structural problem?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd guess, because spalted wood had started to break down - the tree died -  it is more fragile and would be really hard to get a slice thin enough for a top.  Although I've heard of it being used for veneers.   I guess solid body electric is a good option.  Good to hear beech is another possible tone wood.  I'm reminded of tales of wood shipping pallets being made in Brazil out of rosewood, and some stumps discarded. Wonder if they've gotten the worms and fungus to make them even more valuable.  Some farmer's daughter could be sitting on a gold mine down there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoked a brisket yesterday, smoking ribs today - and getting ready to see my folks for the first time since this whole pandemic hit (in a socially distanced manner... but with really good food)

and while the ribs are smoking, i'm out back playing guitar for the chickens.

Edited by uncle fester

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Rabs,

Lots of interesting grain around knots & fissures. Is there any reason why they cant be incorporated into a body? I realise sometimes the gaps would be too open to fill properly, but does it present any structural problem?

No theres no reason not to use them really unless the knots are in an awkward place like where the volume controls are or something... But you can oriantate the wood to work around it if necessary..  You just fill them with superglue or something to strengthen it.

46 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

I'd guess, because spalted wood had started to break down - the tree died -  it is more fragile and would be really hard to get a slice thin enough for a top.  Although I've heard of it being used for veneers.   I guess solid body electric is a good option.  Good to hear beech is another possible tone wood.  I'm reminded of tales of wood shipping pallets being made in Brazil out of rosewood, and some stumps discarded. Wonder if they've gotten the worms and fungus to make them even more valuable.  Some farmer's daughter could be sitting on a gold mine down there. 

Well spalted tops have been used for years..   I have one that I want to use soon

whIiNyY.jpg

Again, if its super spalted and looks like it will fall apart where you are going to cut it, you just add superglue to those areas to stabilise it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  Very impressive.  Please let us see a few shots of this project as you move it along.  And especially the finished product.  Is super glue better than clear epoxy for this purpose?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Wow.  Very impressive.  Please let us see a few shots of this project as you move it along.  And especially the finished product.  Is super glue better than clear epoxy for this purpose?  

Much the same really..  Super glue is just cheap and easy.....

This is one of the nicer bookmatched tops I have made.. Also splated and flamed beech with a tiny bit of burr in the middle

f1wKVSH.jpg

kJUXEeN.jpg

And some of our London Plane

vhgyBbf.jpg?1

XvnYCNC.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Pizza Oven ?   

A little big for pizza, that's 12' wide and 20' tall, the firebox is 42" wide. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Rabs said:

Much the same really..  Super glue is just cheap and easy.....

This is one of the nicer bookmatched tops I have made.. Also splated and flamed beech with a tiny bit of burr in the middle

f1wKVSH.jpg

 

Not sure what it is, but this one makes me want a chicken sandwich.

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Pizza Oven ?   

 Oh. Wait.  I finally caught up.  I thought that was an outside patio conversation/fire pit.   It's a big, beautiful solid stone fireplace which is going to have a home built around it !     We sometimes see the same thing in reverse here in rural areas.  A big old fireplace and chimney standing in a field, The house - long gone.    Nice ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rabs said:

Much the same really..  Super glue is just cheap and easy.....

This is one of the nicer bookmatched tops I have made.. Also splated and flamed beech with a tiny bit of burr in the middle

f1wKVSH.jpg

 

And some of our London Plane

 

 

That is some guys beard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

 Oh. Wait.  I finally caught up.  I thought that was an outside patio conversation/fire pit.   It's a big, beautiful solid stone fireplace which is going to have a home built around it !     We sometimes see the same thing in reverse here in rural areas.  A big old fireplace and chimney standing in a field, The house - long gone.    Nice ! 

Thanks...yes, it's part of an outdoor patio, there's a house behind me, they poured the decorative/stamped concrete patio a few days ago, I'll get a pic of that. I'm a mason, not all my projects are this nice, some are kind of boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Rabs said:

Much the same really..  Super glue is just cheap and easy.....

This is one of the nicer bookmatched tops I have made.. Also splated and flamed beech with a tiny bit of burr in the middle

f1wKVSH.jpg

kJUXEeN.jpg

And some of our London Plane

vhgyBbf.jpg?1

XvnYCNC.jpg

That is very nice, what will you make out of it....speakers?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is some guys beard.

They're all Giger paintings.

Which all originate as voyeur shots of beards.

Possibly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Pinch said:

They're all Giger paintings.

Which all originate as voyeur shots of beards.

Possibly.

I thought he did aliens and ELP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

That is very nice, what will you make out of it....speakers?!

Nah, these are some of what I sell on eBay for the timber company I work with...  

Edited by Rabs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That is some guys beard.

I see two bears fighting ......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, uncle fester said:

 

Not sure what it is, but this one makes me want a chicken sandwich.

 

Spalted Beech.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...