Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Spent 2 hours in the below hyperbaric oxygen chamber.  Six.  More. Dives.

AR-604132842.jpg

Tried unsuccessfully to talk a client out of filing a Motion for Stay Pending Appeal, drafted same.  Reviewed docs in another pending appeal, that indicate a reversal is probable, which is not the desired result.  But hey I can't fix everything.

Watched footie in the afternoon.  The Man City-West Ham makeup game, and parts of a couple Europa League matches.

• Like 1

Plenty more rain here in England.  I got drenched today.

Bought new spark plugs for my old Skoda and fitted them. I had to buy new H/T leads about a month ago, thought that would fix the problem;  ignored the golden rule that you must change the plugs, kept missing on no.2,  so finally did that today.  I haven't done any work on cars/engines for decades - not since the demise of the distributor! -  so I was lucky my plug socket fitted and I got the right spark plugs.  To make sure,  I did what I always do; took one out and took it to the shop with me.  

All went well and car started up perfect - immediately, but I couldn't get the electronic engine management light to go off.  I drove around enough to make sure it was all running ok....then came in and googled about the warning light and found you can fix it dead easy - turn the little mileometer stick on the dash to the left while starting up and it resets it!  Brilliant and saved at least £60+  which is the least a garage might charge for resetting it.  That really made my day.  All I have left to replace now is the ignition coil pack,  have  that on order but car's running good  now anyway. [thumbup]

Who else remembers gapping points with a set of feeler gauges then?

[biggrin]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, jdgm said:

I bought new spark plugs for my old Skoda and fitted them. I had to buy new H/T leads about a month ago, thought that would fix the problem;  ignored the golden rule that you must change the plugs, kept misfiring on no.2,  so finally did that today.  I haven't done any work on cars/engines for decades - not since the demise of the distributor! -  so I was lucky my plug socket fitted and I got the right spark plugs.  To make sure,  I did what I always do; took one out and took it to the shop with me.  

All went well and car started up perfectly immediately, but I couldn't get the electronic engine management light to go off.  I drove around enough to make sure it was all running ok....then came in and googled about the warning light and found you can fix it dead easy - turn the little mileometer stick thingy to the left while starting up and it resets it!  Brilliant and saved at least £60+  which is the least a garage might charge for resetting it.  That really made my day.  All I have left to replace now is the ignition coil pack,  have  that on order but think car's running good  now anyway. [thumbup]

[biggrin]

Still have a few tractors that have magnetos and distributors that need adjustment. Model A international,Model B International and a propane powered 930 case. Most of the other that were points I changed over to electronic ignition kit you can buy. Pertronix I think is the name of the kit. Don't you just love the Internet when you need to know something?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brian Krashpad said:

The latter.  Nine years or so ago I had radiation therapy for throat cancer, which in turn has more recently caused ORN, osteoradionecrosis, in my jaw.  The lower jaw on the affected side has already been rebuilt, but now the upper jaw is deteriorating.

Sorry you are having that problem.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

Tried unsuccessfully to talk a client out of filing a Motion for Stay Pending Appeal, drafted same.  Reviewed docs in another pending appeal, that indicate a reversal is probable, which is not the desired result.

Could you please explain exactly what -and also why - everything here means?

Thanking you in advance.

Edited by pippy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, pippy said:

Could you please explain exactly what -and also why - everything here means?

Thanking you in advance.

Well, I could, but I'd have to send you a bill.  😉

Actually, as you might guess, I'm a lawyer.  I have a purely legal research and consultation practice.  My clients are other lawyers, for whom I do research and writing.  This allows me to work from home, on my own schedule, and not have to do things like go to court or wear suits, or have to deal in person with judges, layperson clients, or opposing counsel.  All of which is perfectly fine by me.

I have a couple potential appeals pending, for a couple different clients.  In one, my client represents the appellant, who is taking the appeal, because she disagrees with a temporary relief order entered by the trial court.   The issues surrounding getting a stay (which would keep the trial court from enforcing the temporary order, while the appeal of that order is pending) are pretty complicated, but despite our attempts to explain them, unfortunately the client convinced herself that she needed a for us to request a stay, and basically insisted on it.  So I drafted a Motion for Stay.  It'll probably be denied, which we also explained.

In the other appeal my client represents the appellee (the party who won at trial).  Although the client won at trial, essentially the trial court judge gave that client more than he was entitled to, and entered a judgment that, in my opinion, will probably be reversed.  I doubt that there's anything I can do to change that, so at this point we're discussing whether it'll even be worthwhile to put in an appearance in the appeal.

Both these cases are pretty complicated.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, jdgm said:

Bought new spark plugs for my old Skoda and fitted them. I had to buy new H/T leads about a month ago, thought that would fix the problem;  ignored the golden rule that you must change the plugs, kept missing on no.2,  so finally did that today.  I haven't done any work on cars/engines for decades - not since the demise of the distributor! -  so I was lucky my plug socket fitted and I got the right spark plugs.  To make sure,  I did what I always do; took one out and took it to the shop with me.  

All went well and car started up perfect - immediately, but I couldn't get the electronic engine management light to go off.  I drove around enough to make sure it was all running ok....then came in and googled about the warning light and found you can fix it dead easy - turn the little mileometer stick on the dash to the left while starting up and it resets it!  Brilliant and saved at least £60+  which is the least a garage might charge for resetting it.  That really made my day.  All I have left to replace now is the ignition coil pack,  have  that on order but car's running good  now anyway. [thumbup]

[biggrin]

That brings back memories. I haven't worked on a car in ages, Since I married , November 1979, I kept up for awhile and my wife kept insisting to take the cars to a garage to have the work done. Told her I could do it cheaper but with all the changes on cars I finally gave up. I used to work on other peoples cars helping them out. Out of High School I Drag Raced the NHRA till the 80's. Last car I raced was a 71 Dodge Colt, all Chevy powered with a 350 engine and a 12 bolt rear end. It had a 4130 Crome Moly tubed frame and 12 point cage. We ran it in Pro Gas.  Those were the days.  

Edited by Retired
misspelled words

On 2/18/2020 at 1:01 PM, rct said:

Went to the store, cleaned the cooktop, roasted some sweet potatoes, made lunch for Mrs, did some laundry.  Rehearse tonight.  

When did we do all this stuff when I worked?

rct

Now that's funny to me. 8 years retired now and I often wonder, Where and how I ever found time to go to work? Don't miss it one bit.  Nor the hour it took to go to work and an hour back home. 

• Like 2

On 2/20/2020 at 4:14 AM, Tman said:

Celebrated my 60th birthday yesterday. Went scuba diving for the first time in my life. Loved it. Saw some outstanding coral reefs and fish, like out of a National Geographic show. I'm hooked.

thats awesome. I turn 60 this May. happy belated. I bet that was a lot of fun. very cool.

I had a good day yesterday!

We finally got down to our holiday spot at Mallacoota, a small coastal town recently ravaged by bushfires. It was a relief to find our caravan & annex much as we left it other than a bit of ash and lots of cobwebs outside. This iconic paradise was devastated by fire just after new year and over 100 houses lost! That was the worst loss of any town in this terrible event. We are yet to look around to see the extent of damage here.

Hundreds of kilometres of pristine forests were destroyed in the fires and we drove through much of it yesterday. Beautiful trees and flora gone or damaged, though vast signs of regeneration evident in the eucalypts offer hope for the future. What can’t regenerate is millions  of unique Aussie birds and animals lost in the holocaust....very sad! The news coverage cannot properly convey the scale of the devastation adequately. It’s immense!

Yesterday I was fitted with new hearing aids after a wait of 5 years. That’s the frequency the government requires for replacements.

Not being able to hear has been hell for me and those around me! My audiologist and equipment supplier elected to cover the $4,000 gap between my entitlement and what I actually need. So far the results are fantastic and I see my life turning around,

We had a small dinner party last night in a small area and I heard pretty much everything that was said to me, and much of what wasn’t!

How many of you have trouble when the background noise goes up? In the end it was like I was isolated, but hopefully not any more! 2020 looks like it’s getting better and better!

Look after your ears guys as being deaf is horrible!

Edited by Digger
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Retired said:

Sorry to hear that. 33 years ago I had a cancerous brain tumor removed that doctors said, my chances of surfing it were slim. I was basically an experiment for them at the time trying out a new system so was hit up heavy on chemo, radiation and a bone marrow harvest.  Hang in there. I tried to make the best of it each day laughing and joking around with doctors and nurses and praying a ton. That helped. 

Thanks.  I am keeping busy with work, bands, and a magazine column.  I previously had a weekly church gig that I really enjoyed, but a new pastor came in and basically fired everyone.  An old friend at a different church (that I attended and played at many years ago) has invited me over there, but I haven't had the chance to get there yet.

However, in the meantime, my punk rock band now has a song called "I Got Fired From Church."  So there's that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Started a new job a couple weeks back and went for a walk exploring the area at lunch.  Came upon this sculpture on the edge of a local park...  rumor has it, in the summer there's music in the commons at lunchtime on Fridays - not a bad way to spend lunch hour 🙂

XOlugQx.jpg?1

Also was looking for ways to occupy myself over the winter months, wanted to get a model but the wife and I made a pact at fiscal responsibility, so I decided to see what I could make out of some scrap mahogany and oak I had laying around and came up with this.  Just added the final coat of oil, with luck she'll have wheels on tomorrow!

P5wugSV.jpg?1  L19vZCz.jpg?1

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Digger said:

I had a good day yesterday!

We finally got down to our holiday spot at Mallacoota, a small coastal town recently ravaged by bushfires. It was a relief to find our caravan & annex much as we left it other than a bit of ash and lots of cobwebs outside. This iconic paradise was devastated by fire just after new year and over 100 houses lost! That was the worst loss of any town in this terrible event. We are yet to look around to see the extent of damage here.

Hundreds of kilometres of pristine forests were destroyed in the fires and we drove through much of it yesterday. Beautiful trees and flora gone or damaged, though vast signs of regeneration evident in the eucalypts offer hope for the future. What can’t regenerate is millions  of unique Aussie birds and animals lost in the holocaust....very sad! The news coverage cannot properly convey the scale of the devastation adequately. It’s immense!

Yesterday I was fitted with new hearing aids after a wait of 5 years. That’s the frequency the government requires for replacements.

Not being able to hear has been hell for me and those around me! My audiologist and equipment supplier elected to cover the $4,000 gap between my entitlement and what I actually need. So far the results are fantastic and I see my life turning around,

We had a small dinner party last night in a small area and I heard pretty much everything that was said to me, and much of what wasn’t!

How many of you have trouble when the background noise goes up? In the end it was like I was isolated, but hopefully not any more! 2020 looks like it’s getting better and better!

Look after your ears guys as being deaf is horrible!

Any background noise sounds like I'm sitting with a bunch of Chinese people. Sitting in cabless tractors of old,concerts,guns and lancing eardrums to relieve pressure of ear infections screwed up my hearing forever.  Yes take care of those ears gentlemen,because it sucks not to hear.

We and our friends had tea at the Mallacoota pub last night and it was really jumping! The noise levels were insane yet I managed to follow conversations well enough to be engaged. At times it was difficult and I had to concentrate, but I could do it! Bloody amazing!

These new Signia (Siemens) hearing aids have given me my life back!

I’m sitting out on our deck at Mallacoota revelling in all the bird songs, it’s warm and life is good. The place was ravaged by fires at the start of the year but whilst there is damage in the nature reserve that we overlook, it’s not too bad thankfully. Still seeing lots of Roos and the odd Koala. Birds are returning!

• Like 1

Bought 180 gram vinyl copies of Van Morrison Astral Weeks and Moondance. Played my D-41. Rowed on my machine. Listening to 180 gram Pink Floyd- The Wall. Wish I was high but I'm not. Got a vodka on the rocks close at hand. Time for side 3. Got a text from my cousin my aunt had a heart attack today and is in the hospital.  So there's that.