Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

WTH did you do today?

No work today so I think it would be stupid not to get away from this computer, read a book and play a Flying V through a little 20W Marshall.

13 hours ago, Retired said:

I thought about getting a good acoustic in the future, I like the tones of the Guilds and recently I was listening to a masterbuilt Epiphone. It sounded good. What would you recomend for $600.00 or below? 

I only owned one Guild. It was nice but huge and heavy.

The GAD's are pretty light weight.  What with the pandemic they appear to be scarce on the ground at the moment just like all of the imports.

We have a GAD 30 and the sound quality has improved over the years, it's gotten a bit deeper and richer.  Right off the bat it was all upper registers.  Seems to be well made and is real easy to play.  Slim neck and it didn't take too much to get the action down.  It has a tweed case which is probably pretty useless for actual protection.

It's no Martin D-35 but for the price it's pretty good.

A few years ago a Luthier named Devon Rogers moved to the Big Island, I think from Oregon.  He reopened his new Pahoa Hawaii shop in about June, after COVID caused him to to shut down for a while.

Anyway, at his shop "Rogers Guitars" Devon uses a new building technique that creates a much lighter stronger guitar, they sound and play excellent.

Rogers Guitars on FaceBook.......

P1020039-705x529.jpg

P1010448-705x529.jpg

P1010552-529x705.jpg

IMG_20120504_173142-529x705.jpg

and custom electrics

IMG_20121102_082433-529x705.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RogersGuitars/

Edited by mihcmac

On 10/11/2020 at 10:04 PM, SteveFord said:

Retired,

Maybe poke around for one of the used Guild GAD models?

Guitar Center here has a huge double room loaded with acoustics, I might run over and take a look at what they got?

12 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I only owned one Guild. It was nice but huge and heavy.

Thats the bad thing with big jumbo guitars. They do have better tone though. 

6 hours ago, Retired said:

I will say the Martin 15 series guitars are affordable especially used and they sound great.

16 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I will say the Martin 15 series guitars are affordable especially used and they sound great.

I will check it out. I shop by line  first, listen to as many as I can and then visit the store. Gives me a better idea. I found some Guilds I like for around $500.00 but I also found the Epiphone Masterbuilt has a great tone. Loved it way over the Humingbird but the cost is higher. So far the Masterbuilt is my first choice. I wrote the Martin 15 down, I'll check it out tomorrow, Thanks Sgt. 

Cleaned up the back yard from the last rain storm. Tree debris everywhere. Sick and tired of bending over and over again so I had the wife order me one of those kitchen  extension pistol grip tools with suction cups on the end. Now when it comes in, I can stand upright and grab ahold of a stick, bean pod or leaf and throw it right in the trash. If all goes well, we might order 2 more, one for each grandkid.  Haha.  I could have a race, The one who picks up the most gets $5.00, and then sit down and watch. 

• Like 2

On 10/12/2020 at 11:59 PM, Retired said:

I don't feel that way with my SJ200, not heavy really..  and that's about as Jumbo as an acoustic can get.

Checked tracking on my D-35. It left someplace called New Philadelphia in Ohio. I guess there was something wrong with Old Philadelphia and it needed a reboot? USPS says the 16th. My B-day is the 19th, so hopefully happy early birthday to me.

And I'm at work.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

6 hours ago, kidblast said:

I don't feel that way with my SJ200, not heavy really..  and that's about as Jumbo as an acoustic can get.

I have a very old OG2N Oscar Schmidt Deb bought me around 40 years ago. It really looks nice but the bridge has been pulled up about 3/8" and they finally have a guitar repair shop here. Thought about taking it there and asking if it is worth fixing? I know she only paid about $300.00 for it back then. I would love to hear what it sounds like though. It's a jumbo and very very light. The fretboard looks Ebony, Black as coals. Hasn't been played in about 35 years.  Dang Kidblast,  thats a gorgeous Gibson. Over $4,000. worth?  I'd get shot with one of my guns if I paid that much for a guitar. Haha. Deb just walked in and saw me typing and nodded her head Yes! "Yep, that right over there she said." 

9 minutes ago, Retired said:

I have a very old OG2N Oscar Schmidt Deb bought me around 40 years ago. It really looks nice but the bridge has been pulled up about 3/8" and they finally have a guitar repair shop here. Thought about taking it there and asking if it is worth fixing? I know she only paid about $300.00 for it back then. I would love to hear what it sounds like though. It's a jumbo and very very light. The fretboard looks Ebony, Black as coals. Hasn't been played in about 35 years.  Dang Kidblast,  thats a gorgeous Gibson. Over $4,000. worth?  I'd get shot with one of my guns if I paid that much for a guitar. Haha. Deb just walked in and saw me typing and nodded her head Yes! "Yep, that right over there she said." 

haha!  So at least you have an idea where her indented target area is..  now you can work on your agility and evasive maneuvers.. 

but ya.. It was and still is the most money I ever spent on Guitar.    not a single regret tho.  I love it

• Like 1

Played my regular Wednesday gig today.  Pretty nice out on the patio.  They’re hoping the county allows them to go to “full seating” in a few weeks.  I’ll go back inside then.  Also, heard from Caribou coffee yesterday.  They’ve had people ask when the Friday music is coming back.  They said they can’t give me a definite date yet, but they wanted me know they’re working on something.  Good news all around!  ......AND, I’m hoping for some time soon to actually do some recording with my new J200.  Haven’t gigged with it yet.   Waiting until I’m inside.

On 10/12/2020 at 11:55 PM, Retired said:

Guitar Center here has a huge double room loaded with acoustics, I might run over and take a look at what they got?

That's what I did when I was shopping for a low price acoustic.  Out of all the guitars I tried, the Ovation had the best combination of sound and playability.  Unfortunately that one didn't fit in my flight case, so I had to go with my second choice - a Fender T-Bucket.  Not a bad guitar but it's a shame about that Ovation not fitting my case. 

9 hours ago, kidblast said:

haha!  So at least you have an idea where her indented target area is..  now you can work on your agility and evasive maneuvers.. 

but ya.. It was and still is the most money I ever spent on Guitar.    not a single regret tho.  I love it

I would love it also, I always have loved the Gibson name. I'm very lucky I got the Gold Top as cheap as I did. That was one in a million. After I retired and just happened to walk in GC at the right moment, There was no way I was going to pass on it. When I got home, I had some explaining to do but I told Deb who herself loves a great deal, I just got a $4,500.00 guitar for $1,400.00 and I wasn't going to walk away from  that. Besides, I told her; "I gave up around 13 guitars when I married her and Drag Racing so she can just turn her head if she didn't like it.  

She was all for the guitar and no problems. 

8 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

That's what I did when I was shopping for a low price acoustic.  Out of all the guitars I tried, the Ovation had the best combination of sound and playability.  Unfortunately that one didn't fit in my flight case, so I had to go with my second choice - a Fender T-Bucket.  Not a bad guitar but it's a shame about that Ovation not fitting my case. 

Really,  Ovation?  When I was a teen, I had a Ovation 12 string that I just loved and played all the time.  When I retired from BNSF RR I bought a $100.00 Fender acoustic and played the crap out of it. Sold it for $100.00 about 3 to 4 years later and bought a Ovation Celebrity Plus with a Koa Burst top. Yeah, I can't complain about the tone.  I pretty much keep it D-Tuned for when I play American Woman. The introduction part. 

You got it, Thats how I got the 9 guitars I have now. See, You just have to use ingenuity.  Deb says I'm very creative and here's what I tell her. "You need multiple guitars for different songs. Just like the pros on stage. Ever notice how they grab different  guitars for different songs? Many songs require different tunings and I don't have the time to retune for each different song. So I told her, Thats why I need to put one on the rack and grab another one. So I play the intro to American Woman with my Ovation, and set it down and pick up an Electric and play the next part." Then if you play Rocky Mountain Way, You need another electric guitar already tuned for that song.   Heh, It works for me!

Played my 2017 Tribute. I wonder if I'll ever get a "proper" LP, when the Tribute is so good. Even if I had the $, it'd be hard to justify buying one when I have the Tribute... Still sounds and plays like a dream. 

We have Reagan all day tomorrow. 3 years old and she is a doll.  When she was one, she was totally frightened  of our Doberman, and now they are best friends.  I got the yard all cleaned today, chipped my front tooth somehow?  So back to the dentist again.

Oh, and I watched Tommy Lee's groundbreaking new hit single video. Maybe it sounds a little too much like the Crüe? 

Pheasant hunters calling and beating on my door so they can slay pheasants on my land. Ain't happening,let the birds alone ain't hurting anybody and they're beautiful to look at. Buy your own land and hunt that. Every year I go through this bs. No hunting sign means no hunting.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Pheasant hunters calling and beating on my door so they can slay pheasants on my land. Ain't happening,let the birds alone ain't hurting anybody and they're beautiful to look at. Buy your own land and hunt that. Every year I go through this bs. No hunting sign means no hunting.

Maybe add a sign that says "NO PHEASANT HUNTING - EVER".

You'd think "NO HUNTING" should be clear enough, though.