Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

17 hours ago, Retired said:

Sounds like a beautiful house.  They will only pick up 9 containers total here of both house and yard waste.  I stuffed 29 total yesterday and still have more to do. Not today as it's raining and 36 the high. Haha, If I had 100 containers to do per day, I'd move to, LOL.   We had 8  trees cut down already.  One neighbors tree I have no clue what it is, produces leaves larger than the Incredible Hulks, hands. It also drops bark 3 seasons. 

It was (still is as far as I know) a beautiful house. Two porches on the first and two more on the 2nd floor, wrought iron fence on a corner lot.  House was 60 years old and in mostly original condition. Fabric covered electrical wiring, push button light switches. Etc.  Coal furnace had been converted to oil, fortunately.   Big issue though - NO INSULATION between outside stucco walls and inside plaster walls.  Heating it cost more than the mortgage payments in winter !   Maybe today there's some technology to shoot insulation into the walls and dealing with the studs and fire stops cross pieces.  We bought it because, in the 1970s, it was cheaper than a new house 1/5th its size.  

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

It was (still is as far as I know) a beautiful house. Two porches on the first and two more on the 2nd floor, wrought iron fence on a corner lot.  House was 60 years old and in mostly original condition. Fabric covered electrical wiring, push button light switches. Etc.  Coal furnace had been converted to oil, fortunately.   Big issue though - NO INSULATION between outside stucco walls and inside plaster walls.  Heating it cost more than the mortgage payments in winter !   Maybe today there's some technology to shoot insulation into the walls and dealing with the studs and fire stops cross pieces.  We bought it because, in the 1970s, it was cheaper than a new house 1/5th its size.  

Yep, our house here is over a hundred years old.  It was built in 1890. We remodeled all but 2 rooms so far. Took all the plaster & wood lathes off, rewired it, new plumbing, Insulation put in, some new windows. The leaded beveled glass windows stayed. We have done a ton of work here to remodel so far. The wood is all Walnut & just gorgeous. They had put about 18 coats of paint over it over all those years. I stripped it all off and re-stained & varnished it all. We were going to fix it up and sell it....Now Deb wants to stay here, we put so much in it now. 

• Like 1

On 11/12/2020 at 7:59 AM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yes you can. My buddy did it on a 335. Said it's do-able but not fun 

Well I need a challenge, my last conversion project, the Ibanez, didn't even need any soldering, just install the wiring harness and plug in the pickups..

On 11/12/2020 at 3:46 PM, Retired said:

Am I the only one on here that has Never taken a pickup out? Haha.   

Nope, I've only been tempted to change them out once and routing was involved SO I've never changed any out.

Today it was work, work, work, pay bills and they FINALLY rereleased PJ Harvey's first two albums on vinyl so I ordered Dry and Rid Of Me.

I'm really looking forward to giving them a spin.

13 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Nope, I've only been tempted to change them out once and routing was involved SO I've never changed any out.

Today it was work, work, work, pay bills and they FINALLY rereleased PJ Harvey's first two albums on vinyl so I ordered Dry and Rid Of Me.

Dry was killer.  Liz Phair's 1st album was killer too. Then eeeeeh. She was a dirty girl for a while then wanted fame.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

🤠 Good to know it's just not me.  All my guitars are stock. 

17 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I don't like routing either, a while back found the HB sized Mean 90's that just drop in, so that part is easy. Since the Epi 339 with P90's and the new Headstock isn't available yet, I got the one with humbuckings. I most likely wouldn't do this mod to a Gibson, although I did replace single coils in Jr's and Melody Makers with humbuckings back in the 70's, these were pawn shop guitars that I thought I was improving.

At my weekend session yesterday, I noticed that my volume level seemed to be down a bit, at first I thought something wrong with my HB's on the 339. After puzzling for a while I noticed the 1w button was pushed in, after releasing it my amp roared to life and the 339 sounded pretty decent. But I am looking forward to my Mean 90's arriving tomorrow.

Edited by mihcmac

On 11/14/2020 at 12:37 PM, mihcmac said:

I don't like routing either, a while back found the HB sized Mean 90's that just drop in, so that part is easy. Since the Epi 339 with P90's and the new Headstock isn't available yet, I got the one with humbuckings. I most likely wouldn't do this mod to a Gibson, although I did replace single coils in Jr's and Melody Makers with humbuckings back in the 70's, these were pawn shop guitars that I thought I was improving.

One would think that all guitars should have the same size pickups so they could all interchange with one another.  Wishful thinking huh? 

Deb asked me to drive to the donut shop and get drinks and donuts, I pulled up to the window then my car died. Dead battery, dead as a doornail. I had to push it back out of the way, and called Deb. I charged it which it fired back up and got about 2 blocks away and it did the same thing.  Next time, I charged it for 30 minutes which it made it up a hill and and 3 blocks before it died. Haha, We kept getting closer to home but the distance kept getting shorter, and I knew the alternator went out because I put a brand new battery in it just 3 days ago.  What a pain in the butt,  & Deb preaching to me about time to get a new car. That's an air conditioner fixed, a new battery, and now an alternator.  How do you argue with the wife?  She took a hundred year old house & spent thousands to restore it but my SUV is trash now?  So I have been spending lots of time trying to figure out which will be the next vehicle. Something so a 100 pound Doberman Pinscher can ride along in the back. 

17 hours ago, Retired said:

One would think that all guitars should have the same size pickups so they could all interchange with one another.  Wishful thinking huh? 

Not really a problem, the aftermarket guys build any type PU you want in any case configuration you need so your guitar can maintain the original look of its designers.

9 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Not really a problem, the aftermarket guys build any type PU you want in any case configuration you need so your guitar can maintain the original look of its designers.

Question?  What P-90's would fit in my Gibson Les Paul G T Standard. ? I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and both guitars sound the same and have Alnico's. I'd like to make the Gibson sound much better. 

I got rid of 21 trash containers, They only pick up 9 for a total. I had to place some with 3 other neighbors. Haha.  Then babysat Reagan.  I helped her color a picture, she's three and scribbles like others do. I let her hold the pencils and guided her hand so she would get used to the pattern. She loved the results and wanted to show Grandma, Mom & Dad.  Haha, I told her to take it downstairs and show them but say to them:  "Pretty Amazing from a 3 year old."  Lol, That was a big hit with them all. 

41 minutes ago, Retired said:

Question?  What P-90's would fit in my Gibson Les Paul G T Standard. ? I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and both guitars sound the same and have Alnico's. I'd like to make the Gibson sound much better. 

There are several manufacturers that make HB sized P90's. They will all work, I personally like the way the GFS Mean 90's sound and they are very well made..

3 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

There are several manufacturers that make HB sized P90's. They will all work, I personally like the way the GFS Mean 90's sound and they are very well made..

I've never installed a pick up before, Is it hard or do you think I should take it to an expert?  I know theres soldering to do.

7 minutes ago, Retired said:

I've never installed a pick up before, Is it hard or do you think I should take it to an expert?  I know theres soldering to do.

Its not difficult to install pickups. The hardest part is de-soldering your old pickups then just removing them. Then soldering your new pickups cable connections.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:35 AM, Retired said:

Deb asked me to drive to the donut shop and get drinks and donuts, I pulled up to the window then my car died. Dead battery, dead as a doornail. I had to push it back out of the way, and called Deb. I charged it which it fired back up and got about 2 blocks away and it did the same thing.  Next time, I charged it for 30 minutes which it made it up a hill and and 3 blocks before it died. Haha, We kept getting closer to home but the distance kept getting shorter, and I knew the alternator went out because I put a brand new battery in it just 3 days ago.  What a pain in the butt,  & Deb preaching to me about time to get a new car. That's an air conditioner fixed, a new battery, and now an alternator.  How do you argue with the wife?  She took a hundred year old house & spent thousands to restore it but my SUV is trash now?  So I have been spending lots of time trying to figure out which will be the next vehicle. Something so a 100 pound Doberman Pinscher can ride along in the back. 

That's an ordeal alright. I know what its like to throw money at a car that keeps failing you. You know you could always get something smaller and just throw a blanket on the back seats for the dog.

Good luck