Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's an ordeal alright. I know what its like to throw money at a car that keeps failing you. You know you could always get something smaller and just throw a blanket on the back seats for the dog.

Good luck

Thanks Evan's. Yeah, I started off with the consumer magazine, I wanted a large SUV like my Saturn Vue maybe in 4X4 but they were all way to high priced.  I can't see paying the price of a house for a car, Lol. Well? I did spend over $45,000.00 on the drag car before I met Deb but thats a different story. I finally have it narrowed down to a Subaru Forester or a Honda CRV.  Both are pretty reasonably priced considering the prices they want for cars today.  And both get a Turbo for 2021 because of all the customer complaints about a sluggish engine.  Just wont be able to put his crate in the back I don't think? 

10 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Its not difficult to install pickups. The hardest part is de-soldering your old pickups then just removing them. Then soldering your new pickups cable connections.

Hmmm? I just read from the pickup pole to the bottom of the string, it should be 3/32" base side & 1/16" trebble  side. If that's the case my guitars are off? I'm sure I have more clearance? 

1 hour ago, Retired said:

Hmmm? I just read from the pickup pole to the bottom of the string, it should be 3/32" base side & 1/16" trebble  side. If that's the case my guitars are off? I'm sure I have more clearance? 

I set them close to level usually no closer than an 1/8" on the bridge PU. The neck PU I adjust by how loud it is with switch in center position, lowering until I hear a good usable balance from both pickups, the neck PU is usually considerably lower.

7 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I set them close to level usually no closer than an 1/8" on the bridge PU. The neck PU I adjust by how loud it is with switch in center position, lowering until I hear a good usable balance from both pickups, the neck PU is usually considerably lower.

Interesting. Guess I  have some practice to do on the cheapest guitar first, In case I screw it up? Haha. 

It's all about a fragile ego, and a question of degree.   I'm sure we've all had  'the pointy haired boss'  that Dilbert endured for the length of his career.   My nemesis was a Stanford graduate and a former IBM executive.  He was ALWAYS the smartest person in the room. 

Today - going hiking with my youngest son.  He just turned 40,  so  I'm somewhat older!   He said I can pick which trail: Guadalupe River State Park. It's 48 degrees here and his Jeep has no roof, but at least he put the doors back on.  

Edited by fortyearspickn

29 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's all about a fragile ego, and a question of degree.   I'm sure we've all had  'the pointy haired boss'  that Dilbert endured for the length of his career.   My nemesis was a Stanford graduate and a former IBM executive.  He was ALWAYS the smartest person in the room. 

Today - going hiking with my youngest son.  He just turned 40,  so  I'm somewhat older!   He said I can pick which trail: Guadalupe River State Park. It's 48 degrees here and his Jeep has no roof, but at least he put the doors back on.  

that sounds like a great day ...

12 hours ago, Karloff said:

on a good day he's ok. but there's an underlying condescending smugness thats always waiting to rear it's head ... 

I had 2 at the BNRR that didn't know squat.  One was pushing to pull the line at all costs just so he got the car count & his bonus at the end of the year. He wasn't going to let us finish our car so he could pull the line. I told him Wait one minute. Then got a sheet of paper and started documenting the day, Date, time of day and Fran's full name and the repairs not finished and told him to sign here. Huh? he said, "Yes me & my partner told him, Those are FRA defects you are willfully letting go and if an FRA inspector catches it down the road and traces the car back to us, We now have it documented that You're  the one who let it go and he can hit you with an $20.000.00 fine for releasing the car. "  Wow, that was a whole new ballgame and he left it, didn't pull the line and said, we better finish the car. Lol You had to be smarter than those you worked for and at the Railroad, that wasn't hard to do. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Women:  Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

In 41 years, there has been days? But in truth, I couldn't live without her.  We talked about if we would date again if either of us went before the other, Both of us said No.  I did tell her I would have to have companionship though and would get about 2 or 3 Doberman's to replace her, LOl. Heh? what's better than a loving dog? 

2 hours ago, Retired said:

In 41 years, there has been days? But in truth, I couldn't live without her.  We talked about if we would date again if either of us went before the other, Both of us said No.  I did tell her I would have to have companionship though and would get about 2 or 3 Doberman's to replace her, LOl. Heh? what's better than a loving dog? 

Yeah, I guess we just kind of get used to them and decide to keep them around...lol.......We’ll be married the big 50 in February.  Everything I am and have is pretty much because of her.  Very few women would put up with me.  I know I’m a lucky guy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yeah, I guess we just kind of get used to them and decide to keep them around...lol.......We’ll be married the big 50 in February.  Everything I am and have is pretty much because of her.  Very few women would put up with me.  I know I’m a lucky guy.

That is so great, Wow, 50 years! Heres an early congratulations to you both.  Yeah, I married into money and she had a house already,  but it took the first 3 years getting her temper out of her and calming her down. Haha. We do everything together & I'm very lucky also. Make sure you get her something special for the 50th!

• Thanks 1

Didn't work (for once) so played the Firebird VII and then took rode some motorcycles around.

Also discovered that one of my monitor lizards is now large enough where he can gulp down a hard boiled egg in one piece.  Went out later in the day and he was looking for another one, the pig.

When you're having nightmares about work several days in a row you know you need a mental health day.  75 hour work weeks for months will do that to you, I discovered.

2 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Didn't work (for once) so played the Firebird VII and then took rode some motorcycles around.

Also discovered that one of my monitor lizards is now large enough where he can gulp down a hard boiled egg in one piece.  Went out later in the day and he was looking for another one, the pig.

When you're having nightmares about work several days in a row you know you need a mental health day.  75 hour work weeks for months will do that to you, I discovered.

Good grief, that is a long week.  I used to do double shifts all week for 49 hours total, and once in awhile I could get a Saturday in there for 56 hours. Those would bring home pretty good pay checks. On nights doing that I was ahead of everyone on the overtime list one year at BN.      Wow! A whole egg?  He must be pretty big now. 

I've been doing those hours since early April, no wonder I"m dreaming about the job.  

Taking today off as well.  Cool and overcast but this one bike was running on 2 1/2 cylinders so we'll see if that Chevron Tektron and some new gas did the trick.  You can't let things things sit like I did this year.

He just ate a chicken wing after the egg yesterday, he's getting there.  Dumeril's Monitors top out at around 6' so they're one of the giant lizards.  You have to treat them with respect as they eat crabs in with wild and a bite from an adult can break your hand.  CRUNCH!

Don't want that.

This guy's probably 8 years old, I would expect him to go another 12-15 years so he's got some growing to do.  He will probably be able to wolf down a squirrel or a smaller rabbit when all is said and done, 

You really want to feed these guys with tongs and always have two doors available.

One of my coworkers died last week.  He had been unable to get out of bed, he dropped 35 pounds and the doctor gave him some sort of pill for his guts and he was up and about, same as ever, smoking his skinny little cigars and cursing up a storm and telling his endless stream of stories. 

About a month later he took a nosedive, went to the hospital on Friday, they said I dunno and on Tuesday he was dead from cancer of the everything.

That kind of got us all thinking a little differently.  The work we do is pretty important and it's a madhouse but we also have to take some time for ourselves before they shovel dirt on our faces.

Today is motorcycles, animals, guitars, finish a book.  Tomorrow it's back to work but not today.

Friday I (maybe) buy a really nice guitar as a reward for being so well behaved.  Be kind of a niche model but I think it'll be okay.

Edited by SteveFord

14 hours ago, SteveFord said:

I've been doing those hours since early April, no wonder I"m dreaming about the job.  

Taking today off as well.  Cool and overcast but this one bike was running on 2 1/2 cylinders so we'll see if that Chevron Tektron and some new gas did the trick.  You can't let things things sit like I did this year.

He just ate a chicken wing after the egg yesterday, he's getting there.  Dumeril's Monitors top out at around 6' so they're one of the giant lizards.  You have to treat them with respect as they eat crabs in with wild and a bite from an adult can break your hand.  CRUNCH!

Don't want that.

This guy's probably 8 years old, I would expect him to go another 12-15 years so he's got some growing to do.  He will probably be able to wolf down a squirrel or a smaller rabbit when all is said and done, 

You really want to feed these guys with tongs and always have two doors available.

One of my coworkers died last week.  He had been unable to get out of bed, he dropped 35 pounds and the doctor gave him some sort of pill for his guts and he was up and about, same as ever, smoking his skinny little cigars and cursing up a storm and telling his endless stream of stories. 

About a month later he took a nosedive, went to the hospital on Friday, they said I dunno and on Tuesday he was dead from cancer of the everything.

That kind of got us all thinking a little differently.  The work we do is pretty important and it's a madhouse but we also have to take some time for ourselves before they shovel dirt on our faces.

Today is motorcycles, animals, guitars, finish a book.  Tomorrow it's back to work but not today.

Friday I (maybe) buy a really nice guitar as a reward for being so well behaved.  Be kind of a niche model but I think it'll be okay.

Yep, I agree. When I went through that cancer, I wasn't given good odds of surviving, and used as a Guinea pig.  That was in 1988 & still here. One thing I told myself,  From now on, I will stop and smell the Roses along the way each day.  Time is too short, Make sure you make time for you and your family. 

Access to health care has taken a back seat to focusing on the China Flu for the past 10 months.  My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a month before they closed hospital admissions for everything except 'emergencies'.   She was one of the last to get surgery and Radiation Therapy before they shut the doors to keep beds empty.   Now she's  in the 'medically fragile' group (had lung cancer 6 years ago which she also beat), so  she and I (and our 4 kids and their families) have not been able to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Fortunately, with the vaccine just around the corner - if the FDA gets off their axe and begins their review of Pfizer's application.   

5 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Found out this morning that at least 3 people in this county have contracted COVID-19 twice - back in May and then in October which caused their surgeries to be pushed back.

I know this is a small data point but the whole you're immune thing may be not exactly.

Wow, I had to look it up. So far there has been 4 documented cases in the US of people getting the COVID 19 virus twice.  No wonder after getting it once & surviving, so many don't wear masks? They can still be carriers of it though.