Jump to content
Gibson Brands Forums
Mr. Gibson

WTH did you do today?

Recommended Posts

Deb asked me to drive to the donut shop and get drinks and donuts, I pulled up to the window then my car died. Dead battery, dead as a doornail. I had to push it back out of the way, and called Deb. I charged it which it fired back up and got about 2 blocks away and it did the same thing.  Next time, I charged it for 30 minutes which it made it up a hill and and 3 blocks before it died. Haha, We kept getting closer to home but the distance kept getting shorter, and I knew the alternator went out because I put a brand new battery in it just 3 days ago.  What a pain in the butt,  & Deb preaching to me about time to get a new car. That's an air conditioner fixed, a new battery, and now an alternator.  How do you argue with the wife?  She took a hundred year old house & spent thousands to restore it but my SUV is trash now?  So I have been spending lots of time trying to figure out which will be the next vehicle. Something so a 100 pound Doberman Pinscher can ride along in the back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Retired said:

One would think that all guitars should have the same size pickups so they could all interchange with one another.  Wishful thinking huh? 

Not really a problem, the aftermarket guys build any type PU you want in any case configuration you need so your guitar can maintain the original look of its designers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Not really a problem, the aftermarket guys build any type PU you want in any case configuration you need so your guitar can maintain the original look of its designers.

Question?  What P-90's would fit in my Gibson Les Paul G T Standard. ? I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and both guitars sound the same and have Alnico's. I'd like to make the Gibson sound much better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got rid of 21 trash containers, They only pick up 9 for a total. I had to place some with 3 other neighbors. Haha.  Then babysat Reagan.  I helped her color a picture, she's three and scribbles like others do. I let her hold the pencils and guided her hand so she would get used to the pattern. She loved the results and wanted to show Grandma, Mom & Dad.  Haha, I told her to take it downstairs and show them but say to them:  "Pretty Amazing from a 3 year old."  Lol, That was a big hit with them all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Retired said:

Question?  What P-90's would fit in my Gibson Les Paul G T Standard. ? I have an Epiphone Les Paul Standard and both guitars sound the same and have Alnico's. I'd like to make the Gibson sound much better. 

There are several manufacturers that make HB sized P90's. They will all work, I personally like the way the GFS Mean 90's sound and they are very well made..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mihcmac said:

There are several manufacturers that make HB sized P90's. They will all work, I personally like the way the GFS Mean 90's sound and they are very well made..

I've never installed a pick up before, Is it hard or do you think I should take it to an expert?  I know theres soldering to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Retired said:

I've never installed a pick up before, Is it hard or do you think I should take it to an expert?  I know theres soldering to do.

Its not difficult to install pickups. The hardest part is de-soldering your old pickups then just removing them. Then soldering your new pickups cable connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2020 at 1:35 AM, Retired said:

Deb asked me to drive to the donut shop and get drinks and donuts, I pulled up to the window then my car died. Dead battery, dead as a doornail. I had to push it back out of the way, and called Deb. I charged it which it fired back up and got about 2 blocks away and it did the same thing.  Next time, I charged it for 30 minutes which it made it up a hill and and 3 blocks before it died. Haha, We kept getting closer to home but the distance kept getting shorter, and I knew the alternator went out because I put a brand new battery in it just 3 days ago.  What a pain in the butt,  & Deb preaching to me about time to get a new car. That's an air conditioner fixed, a new battery, and now an alternator.  How do you argue with the wife?  She took a hundred year old house & spent thousands to restore it but my SUV is trash now?  So I have been spending lots of time trying to figure out which will be the next vehicle. Something so a 100 pound Doberman Pinscher can ride along in the back. 

 

That's an ordeal alright. I know what its like to throw money at a car that keeps failing you. You know you could always get something smaller and just throw a blanket on the back seats for the dog.

Good luck

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

 

That's an ordeal alright. I know what its like to throw money at a car that keeps failing you. You know you could always get something smaller and just throw a blanket on the back seats for the dog.

Good luck

Thanks Evan's. Yeah, I started off with the consumer magazine, I wanted a large SUV like my Saturn Vue maybe in 4X4 but they were all way to high priced.  I can't see paying the price of a house for a car, Lol. Well? I did spend over $45,000.00 on the drag car before I met Deb but thats a different story. I finally have it narrowed down to a Subaru Forester or a Honda CRV.  Both are pretty reasonably priced considering the prices they want for cars today.  And both get a Turbo for 2021 because of all the customer complaints about a sluggish engine.  Just wont be able to put his crate in the back I don't think? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mihcmac said:

Its not difficult to install pickups. The hardest part is de-soldering your old pickups then just removing them. Then soldering your new pickups cable connections.

Hmmm? I just read from the pickup pole to the bottom of the string, it should be 3/32" base side & 1/16" trebble  side. If that's the case my guitars are off? I'm sure I have more clearance? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Retired said:

Hmmm? I just read from the pickup pole to the bottom of the string, it should be 3/32" base side & 1/16" trebble  side. If that's the case my guitars are off? I'm sure I have more clearance? 

I set them close to level usually no closer than an 1/8" on the bridge PU. The neck PU I adjust by how loud it is with switch in center position, lowering until I hear a good usable balance from both pickups, the neck PU is usually considerably lower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mihcmac said:

I set them close to level usually no closer than an 1/8" on the bridge PU. The neck PU I adjust by how loud it is with switch in center position, lowering until I hear a good usable balance from both pickups, the neck PU is usually considerably lower.

Interesting. Guess I  have some practice to do on the cheapest guitar first, In case I screw it up? Haha. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Karloff said:

got a hair cut, avoided my boss. 

Is the boss a pain in the butt?  I had a few of them here and there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Retired said:

Is the boss a pain in the butt?  I had a few of them here and there. 

Women:  Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Retired said:

Is the boss a pain in the butt?  I had a few of them here and there. 

on a good day he's ok. but there's an underlying condescending smugness thats always waiting to rear it's head ... 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Karloff said:

on a good day he's ok. but there's an underlying condescending smugness thats always waiting to rear it's head ... 

think i work with the same guy... POS

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's all about a fragile ego, and a question of degree.   I'm sure we've all had  'the pointy haired boss'  that Dilbert endured for the length of his career.   My nemesis was a Stanford graduate and a former IBM executive.  He was ALWAYS the smartest person in the room. 

Today - going hiking with my youngest son.  He just turned 40,  so  I'm somewhat older!   He said I can pick which trail: Guadalupe River State Park. It's 48 degrees here and his Jeep has no roof, but at least he put the doors back on.  

Edited by fortyearspickn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's all about a fragile ego, and a question of degree.   I'm sure we've all had  'the pointy haired boss'  that Dilbert endured for the length of his career.   My nemesis was a Stanford graduate and a former IBM executive.  He was ALWAYS the smartest person in the room. 

Today - going hiking with my youngest son.  He just turned 40,  so  I'm somewhat older!   He said I can pick which trail: Guadalupe River State Park. It's 48 degrees here and his Jeep has no roof, but at least he put the doors back on.  

that sounds like a great day ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Karloff said:

on a good day he's ok. but there's an underlying condescending smugness thats always waiting to rear it's head ... 

I had 2 at the BNRR that didn't know squat.  One was pushing to pull the line at all costs just so he got the car count & his bonus at the end of the year. He wasn't going to let us finish our car so he could pull the line. I told him Wait one minute. Then got a sheet of paper and started documenting the day, Date, time of day and Fran's full name and the repairs not finished and told him to sign here. Huh? he said, "Yes me & my partner told him, Those are FRA defects you are willfully letting go and if an FRA inspector catches it down the road and traces the car back to us, We now have it documented that You're  the one who let it go and he can hit you with an $20.000.00 fine for releasing the car. "  Wow, that was a whole new ballgame and he left it, didn't pull the line and said, we better finish the car. Lol You had to be smarter than those you worked for and at the Railroad, that wasn't hard to do. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

Women:  Can’t live with them, can’t live without them.

In 41 years, there has been days? But in truth, I couldn't live without her.  We talked about if we would date again if either of us went before the other, Both of us said No.  I did tell her I would have to have companionship though and would get about 2 or 3 Doberman's to replace her, LOl. Heh? what's better than a loving dog? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Retired said:

In 41 years, there has been days? But in truth, I couldn't live without her.  We talked about if we would date again if either of us went before the other, Both of us said No.  I did tell her I would have to have companionship though and would get about 2 or 3 Doberman's to replace her, LOl. Heh? what's better than a loving dog? 

Yeah, I guess we just kind of get used to them and decide to keep them around...lol.......We’ll be married the big 50 in February.  Everything I am and have is pretty much because of her.  Very few women would put up with me.  I know I’m a lucky guy.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, MissouriPicker said:

Yeah, I guess we just kind of get used to them and decide to keep them around...lol.......We’ll be married the big 50 in February.  Everything I am and have is pretty much because of her.  Very few women would put up with me.  I know I’m a lucky guy.

That is so great, Wow, 50 years! Heres an early congratulations to you both.  Yeah, I married into money and she had a house already,  but it took the first 3 years getting her temper out of her and calming her down. Haha. We do everything together & I'm very lucky also. Make sure you get her something special for the 50th!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Didn't work (for once) so played the Firebird VII and then took rode some motorcycles around.

Also discovered that one of my monitor lizards is now large enough where he can gulp down a hard boiled egg in one piece.  Went out later in the day and he was looking for another one, the pig.

When you're having nightmares about work several days in a row you know you need a mental health day.  75 hour work weeks for months will do that to you, I discovered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...