Gibson Brands Forums

WTH did you do today?

Mr. Gibson

Enjoyed the sunlight for a little bit today since it was ugly most of the week. Sold a guitar and did some paint fills on some whiskey dents in my Music Man now that the humidity has dropped some.

Edited by cdeez

24 minutes ago, rct said:

Not much.  Plonked at my M-36 and Esquire.  Made us good cappuccinos.  Made dinner.

rct

M-36 is a pimpin machine. Small body Martins are the business. I beat the p!ss out of my 000-28. Miss my D-35 and 28 an 18, but then I look at and play my D-41 and then not so much.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 minutes ago, rct said:

Yeah, but your D-41 is 5 better than my M-36.

rct

Well Yes and No. I love my small body 000 -28 and  any D's I've owned. There just different beasts. I've played a few M-36's and would own one in a heartbeat. It's like a 000  small bodied D-35's but one better. A three piece back is something special.  No one makes an production acoustic like Martin. Yes I know 5 minuets after I get it home it needs a neck reset and the binding comes unglued.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Well Yes and No. I love my small body 000 -28 and  any D's I've owned. There just different beasts. I've played a few M-36's and would own one in a heartbeat. It's like a 000  small bodied D-35's but one better. A three piece back is something special. 

Yes, like a Dread but a half inch thinner.  Just enough to not feel enormous on me.  But there will be a D-35 in my future.  And an OM-35.

rct

4 minutes ago, rct said:

Yes, like a Dread but a half inch thinner.  Just enough to not feel enormous on me.  But there will be a D-35 in my future.  And an OM-35.

rct

My D-35 was all that an a bag of chips, but a D-41 is all that and 2 bags of chips. D-35's are not just a D-28 with a 3 piece back.  I know I owned both. I would own both again in a heartbeat.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 2/21/2020 at 10:15 AM, Retired said:

Sorry to hear that. 33 years ago I had a cancerous brain tumor removed that doctors said, my chances of surviving it were slim. I was basically an experiment for them at the time trying out a new system so was hit up heavy on chemo, radiation and a bone marrow harvest.  Hang in there. I tried to make the best of it each day laughing and joking around with doctors and nurses and praying a ton. That helped. 

On 2/21/2020 at 4:03 PM, Digger said:

I had a good day yesterday!

We finally got down to our holiday spot at Mallacoota, a small coastal town recently ravaged by bushfires. It was a relief to find our caravan & annex much as we left it other than a bit of ash and lots of cobwebs outside. This iconic paradise was devastated by fire just after new year and over 100 houses lost! That was the worst loss of any town in this terrible event. We are yet to look around to see the extent of damage here.

Hundreds of kilometres of pristine forests were destroyed in the fires and we drove through much of it yesterday. Beautiful trees and flora gone or damaged, though vast signs of regeneration evident in the eucalypts offer hope for the future. What can’t regenerate is millions  of unique Aussie birds and animals lost in the holocaust....very sad! The news coverage cannot properly convey the scale of the devastation adequately. It’s immense!

Yesterday I was fitted with new hearing aids after a wait of 5 years. That’s the frequency the government requires for replacements.

Not being able to hear has been hell for me and those around me! My audiologist and equipment supplier elected to cover the $4,000 gap between my entitlement and what I actually need. So far the results are fantastic and I see my life turning around,

We had a small dinner party last night in a small area and I heard pretty much everything that was said to me, and much of what wasn’t!

How many of you have trouble when the background noise goes up? In the end it was like I was isolated, but hopefully not any more! 2020 looks like it’s getting better and better!

Look after your ears guys as being deaf is horrible!

That is fabulous Rob.  I'm so glad the new hearing aids worked. Guess sometimes new tecnolygy is what one really needs.  To those who don't know, Rob and I are great friends and email each other about every day. I had terrible results with my old hearing aids for the last 4 years. Got them before I retired from the Railroad and they were getting pretty old. My wife had to basically scream at me so I could hear her. Guess I was talking pretty loud and didn't know it. She kept insisting that I go in and get a new set and she would pay for them. I told her not to waste her money on me as they wouldn't work. Long story short, They had a clinic study for people like me to go in and try these new Aides. Deb, insisted I try it for free so I did. They worked so well plus I got such a great discount for trying them out I went ahead and got them. They are Starky, I believe and the top brand. What I love about them, they work with my phone. If I get a call, both ears go down low on all conversations around me and I hear the call with both ears and it's amazing the clarity of the voice now, even women that I could never understand before. When the call is over, they go back to normal. Background noise in restaurants can be turned off low so I can hear Deb. I can turn down left, right or both and behind me. No longer have to listen to TV full volume, I get TV in both hearing aids and if she comes in and talks to me it has a app on the phone I can turn up to hear her. It turns off outside wind noise in both ears which before sounded like tornado's in both ears. There is a lot more functions but I won't go through them all. Anyway, again I can credit Rob for talking me into going in and trying them out as I wasn't going to. Hearing aids can be very very expensive and only last 4 to 5 years they told me. You can get more years out of them but I was surprised they don't last that long. 

On 2/21/2020 at 5:38 PM, Brian Krashpad said:

Thanks.  I am keeping busy with work, bands, and a magazine column.  I previously had a weekly church gig that I really enjoyed, but a new pastor came in and basically. "I Got Fired From Church."  So there's that.

Haha, Now that made me laugh too. Never heard of anyone getting fired from a church. 

Have to think here, today was Saturday right? I lose count, everyday seems the same day to me anymore Haha.  I walked Sundance, our 94 pound Doberman Pincher around a 5 mile lake by us today. It was pretty crowded with people with their pets and bicycles so we got off the trail and went back in the trees along a fence and around it, to get away from everyone. Then Deb & I went shopping and out to eat.  We're redoing our kitchen and everything came out, including the plastered walls and insulation. All new work done, wiring, plumbing and drywall. It's painted now so things should start happening a little faster now. 

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Haha, Now that made me laugh too. Never heard of anyone getting fired from a church. 

Oh you'd be surprised.   Being a church musician is very often a weekly, ongoing battle (which if course, is pretty much the opposite of what a spiritual experience should be).  There are some denominations with very specific rules, like no electric instruments, or no leads, or no drums.  The places I have played were not that bad, but there were  always a batch of very conservative members who were rather unreasonable and opposed to any sort of modern music.  To the point where they would choose to go to the contemporary service, and then b*tch about it, rather than just attend the traditional service also offered.

Did I mention the band were all unpaid volunteers (except the director)?  Because that.

Edited by Brian Krashpad

Heading  back home today today after a couple of days in our favourite place (though badly ravaged by bushfires) A long walk on a stunning beach yesterday capped the day off. A couple of restful days has recharged our batteries to head back into restoring our home, also ravaged by fires. We are making steady progress though!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Brian Krashpad said:

Oh you'd be surprised.   Being a church musician is very often a weekly, ongoing battle (which if course, is pretty much the opposite of what a spiritual experience should be).  There are some denominations with very specific rules, like no electric instruments, or no leads, or no drums.  The places I have played were not that bad, but there were  always a batch of very conservative members who were rather unreasonable and opposed to any sort of modern music.  To the point where they would choose to go to the contemporary service, and then b*tch about it, rather than just attend the traditional service also offered.

Did I mention the band were all unpaid volunteers (except the director)?  Because that.

We have a band, Lead guitar, Bass, Acoustic, Key board, Piano, Drums, 3 gals sing. They do get loud and I have to turn my hearing aids down. I don't play in it though. It's just  the volunteers of our church, no outsiders. No one's paid. It's where our son & his wife go, and our grandkids. Deb wanted to join of course because of the kids. Reagan is 3 and Grayson is 5. I've had Grayson interested in guitars since he was one. Both have a Ukulele to play and practice on. 

• Like 2

This morning I'm gonna rewire my Epi Black Beauty and replace the pots.  I'm getting it ready to sell so I've been playing it a little.  I have Emerson Pro pots in it and I hate them.  They don't have enough resistance to rotating the shaft, they feel cheap.  More importantly, I don't like the taper, way to steep, almost linear.   I could just sell it as is but I'm gonna fix it.

They brought all the cabinets and cupboards this morning and said they would have them all installed today. Flooring for the kitchen should be next then. Thought it would be before the cabinets? We had the grandkids this morning, I must be getting old. 1:45 and I feel drained, like taking a nap. 

I split 6 to 8 weeks of firewood yesterday though a few more sessions needed before winter sets in.

I also used the tractor to repair damage from heavy machinery to the top drive.

At 8am we are meeting here with a. landscaper  hoping to get some of the damage fixed.

29 minutes ago, Digger said:

I split 6 to 8 weeks of firewood yesterday though a few more sessions needed before winter sets in.

I also used the tractor to repair damage from heavy machinery to the top drive.

At 8am we are meeting here with a. landscaper  hoping to get some of the damage fixed.

Sounds like you're giving it hell, what kind of wood are you cutting for firewood? Here we use cottonwood,ash,Chinese and American Elm and pine.

Today I'm going to town(16 miles) to get a new oven element for my crosley range,I was getting ready to make lunch 2days ago,when I noticed the oven glowing inside, burned out as I opened the door. I'll fix it myself,thank God for google. Always somebody got the same problem as you.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr. Gibson said:

Sounds like you're giving it hell, what kind of wood are you cutting for firewood? Here we use cottonwood,ash,Chinese and American Elm and pine.

Our dominant trees in this area are eucalypts Jim.  Gum trees as we call them have roughly 840 varieties plus natural hybrids. Eucalypts are hardwood and some are bloody hard, and heavy. 

The wood I’m cutting is off the property and is mostly Red Box and it’s really heavy and hard, but bloody good firewood!

0yRJ8bJl.jpg

Edited by Digger
Add photo

I have been at work since 5pm yesterday and I'm off at 5am. Dipped a set of strings in liquid nitrogen and when I get home I'm gonna have a glass of bourbon and crash. When I get up I'm gonna change strings on my 000 and go to work again. Might only have to go in for a few hours, as something at work broke and we might be down to fix it and I will be off nights again till next week. This is getting old.

On 2/23/2020 at 8:18 AM, Marky Forrest said:

I got black plastics for one of my Strats yesterday and today I'll be swapping out the currently white ones. The white ones just don't look right on an aged cherry body and black pick guard. I'll post some before and after photos, if anyone is interested. I mean because it's a Fender.

The purplish hue around the borders is due to using an old camera. The body is alder with aged cherry laminate.

Before: RvDmQlu.jpg

After: JzpQjxo.jpg

• Like 1

They call me the Fedner Whisperer.  I can hear your guitar very clearly.  It is crying out, crying out in anguish,  "white pearl...WHITE PEARL!!!!"

Nice strat.  I know that aged cherry burst well from the American Deluxes years ago.  I like it a ton, I would rock that sucker.

rct

• Like 1

On 2/27/2020 at 9:40 AM, rct said:

They call me the Fedner Whisperer.  I can hear your guitar very clearly.  It is crying out, crying out in anguish,  "white pearl...WHITE PEARL!!!!"

Nice strat.  I know that aged cherry burst well from the American Deluxes years ago.  I like it a ton, I would rock that sucker.

rct

Thanks! I really like that guitar and I'm feelin' it more with the black plastic. It plays and sounds amazing.